Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Accugroove 2x10 as a standalone???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RAM, Mar 17, 2005.

1. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I've played various Accugroove cabs from the El Whappo down to the Tri 115, and found them to be ::surprise, surprise:: just as great as everyone else says. One cab I haven't played is the Tri 210, but have read some curious reviews that all say it's a good cab, but unreal when you have 2 together.

So, here's my question: How is it as a standalone? I mean, without the benefit of any other cabs, including a second one just like it on top.

Thanks! RAM

2. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
    sitting down,facingforward..UK
    Endorsements: Shuker Guitars, Dingwall Designer Guitars, D'Addario, Planet Waves, Barefaced Bass
    I have a 2x10, like others.. um, Tombowlus def' has one.
    At first, altho' I loved the sound, 'the jury was out' as they say, but as the cab is being used more and more, I find that the low end *appears* to be getting deeper! always a bonus! I have been able to drive the cab really hard now and it keeps on giving.

I'd say it can be VERY loud.. I think it obviously can not compete with moving the same amount of air as two dirty great 4x10's but, It'll give 'em a good run for their money!

With money in mind, I am still toying with getting another 2x10, or Whappo Jr... maybe if I can remortgage granny an El Whap' would be fine and dandy!!

3. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    i have one of these cabs

i will buy another cabinet, except another 2 10l

just buy one, u wont regret it

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have not tried to use my Tri 210L as a standalone cab on a gig, but in some "in home" testing, I find it to be very full and big sounding for a 2x10. But the thing about a 2x10 is that, for me at least, for smaller gigs, I often prefer two 1x12's or a 1x10/1x12 rig, and for larger gigs, I want at least two 2x10's. With this in mind, I can't even recall a gig where I took only a single 2x10...

It is a great cab, though, and I don't think you would be disappointed in it (if you would be happy with a single 2x10, in general). For me, I'd get a second cab for gigging, though.

Tom.

5. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
    sitting down,facingforward..UK
    Endorsements: Shuker Guitars, Dingwall Designer Guitars, D'Addario, Planet Waves, Barefaced Bass
    just stuck my 2p worth onto the reviews section.

6. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Did you say Tri 115? Is there such a cab? That´s what I´ve been dreaming about...

7. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    In hindsight, I wasn't paying so much attention to the cab size, so it could've easily been a 112. The Accugroove site doesn't show a 115, so my bad.

The reason this whole thing has been on my mind lately is because I originally gave my $$$ to an Epi 4x10 UL, because I thought I'd like it more than the El Whappo (which I found a little too thick for my needs and tastes). That's why I initially shied away from the other, smaller Accugroove cabs. But, when I went over to LAG to try out some new basses (yes, some were Jerzy Drozd, though I wanted to check out the new Stambaugh twins), Dan had a whole bunch of cabs lined up. I developed an immediate appreciation for Accugroove cabs, which sounded (as Jared Morante had eloquently worded it) like an Epifani without a blanket covering it!

It's just got me thinking...that's all.

8. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I've been running a Tri 210 for a little over a month now. I've used it alone for a few small lounge / bar gigs where the band gets moderatley loud. Alone, this cab does very nicely in putting out a full-bottomed punchy sound with headroom to spare. It definitely has more bottom than any other 2-10 cab that I know of (I'd call it fat & thick, but articulate). I use a 1001rb II or Eden WT-550 as a head. Recently picked up a TRI 112 to add on top of the 210 for louder gigs; using the 12 alone for the lower volume gigs also works very well.