AccuGroove bill dickens SUB

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by katri, Jan 24, 2006.

1. hey,
    just a quick question would this be suitable to run alone of a head or power amp would it sound ok or it just desined for the lower frequencies like those of an ERB
  2. VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    Well I'll take a crack at your question.
    The frequency response of the Dickens is down -6dB@25Hz to 1kHz, a true subwoofer would top out around 85-150Hz. You could use the Dickens stand alone but I would highly suggest trying it out first or at least call the Boys at AccuGroove up and ask them. I'll bet they'd talk you out of the idea.
  3. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    It's a subwoofer. It's not that it's meant for the lows of an ERB, as even a low F# has plenty of high frequency content. It's meant to be used as part of a system with a crossover. Basically, a crossover sends one part of your signal to one power amp, and one part to another. These each have their own speaker cabinets. This is what is known as biamping.

You will most likely NOT like the tone of this amp on its own. It will have little to no high mids and highs. If you think an Ampeg 810 doesnt have a lot of highs, keep in mind that it rolls off around 5khz, and this rolls off at 1khz.
  4. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    I have to say, I've messed around with the BD sub quite a bit, and even though, yes, it is technically designed to be a subwoofer cabinet in a biamped rig, it has quite a bit of mids in it, and an articulation that is very uncharacteristic of subwoofers.

I think it would make a great standalone for fretless bass, as well as for folks who don't like alot of clickity highs in their tone. It may not be the most versatile cab, but it would be great for people who are looking for a big think rumbly bass tone, with strong low mids, and not alot of highs.

It definitely has alot more low and hi mids than any other "dedicated" subwoofer I've ever heard.

just my .02

5. thanks guys for the input
    i doubt ill get one as they are expensive and if they are not even wat i want or need i wont bother
  6. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    yeah, the other thing is, that cab likes ALOT of power, like say, 800 watts or more to really get it going. Thats kind of prohibitive for most people with an integrated head, but for folks with a high power PA head, which is pretty common, it's not such a big deal. Thats not to say a 500 watt head is useless with a BD sub, it'll still jam, but to get the most out of it, I'd reccomend a bunch of power.

If you're interested in AG cabs, I'd look into a whappo jr. or one of the new tri115's which might well be perfect, if you're looking for something with heavier lows. I'm not sure if MODNY is still selling his Gordo sub, but thats a fun little 18" sub that would probably make a cool standalone. Wouldn't have the highs of a BD sub though....

cheers, good luck.
  7. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    i'm still sell in that GORDO