Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Accugroove - Boomy Rooms?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jacove, Apr 1, 2005.

1. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Hi There,

I've read a lot about Accugrooves cabs, and it sounds as if they sound really awesome. It seems that the trademark sound of accu is a thick, full sound that at the same time is very even and balanced....I was wondering how does these cabs hold up in boomy rooms...I've tried alot cabs in my time, and though I like the thick sounding cabs like Epifani, Ampeg and so on, they always give me a headache when playing boomy rooms, which I tend to do a lot....I once tried a Swr Triad which pretty cured the problem, but I never really liked the sound of the cab...So, I might go the Accu route...I'm thinking about a Whappo Jr. placed on a Gramma might do the trick.... :meh:

2. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    Funny you mention this. I just played in a really boomy room a couple weeks ago. We noticed right away, during soundcheck. First tried it up on its wheels to try to remove any coupling. That helped. We then got a low table that was there, and sat my Jr. on that sideways. Worked fine with a little EQ.

Wish I had my Gramma there to put the Junior on, but didn't. She hates metal.

3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Boomy rooms are best handled with a parametric EQ. Set the gain for maximum cut, set the Q (bandwidth) to narrow, then sweep the frequency until the boom disappears. Most boom will be located between 100 and 300 Hz.

4. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    yeah, that's the way I normally deal with it also, but I still think there are cabs which are easier to control when rooms tend to be boomy....I was wondering if any of you Accu owners can comment on this...

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    This is a viable concern. Gramma pads, casters, and other means of raising the cab will often help. Parametric EQ is how I normally deal with the issue, and in general, a bit of EQ with Accugroove cabs and you should be fine. Just set a boost and sweep the frequency until you hear the boominess increase. Then, leave the frequency set where it is, and change your boost to a cut, as necessary.

But, if I know that I am going to be playing in a room that has a tendency to be boomy, I generally bring my EA cabs, which do not seem as susceptible to this as some of my other cabs.

6. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    tombowlus!, do you find that the Accu cabs are "boom"-friendly, I was thinking that they were because I've read they should work well with EQ'ing....

7. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Well, I'm not sure if you mean that they are "boom friendly" in that they tend to get boomy easily (which, to an extent, they do) or that they are easy to control via EQ (which is certainly the case).

8. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Well, I think what I mean is, if the cab can be tamed/controlled easily...I've tried cabs like Epifani, Aguilar, Ampeg and so on, I find them a bit hard to tame in certain rooms, even with Eq'ing and so on. Probably because they share a boost in the lower range. The accu being more flat and evenly balanced might be easier to work with in some situations...I guess that was what I tried to say... ;)

9. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Gotcha. Yes, I do find Accugrooves to be easier to tame than, say Epifani, as the Epi's have some frequency "humps" and "valleys" that can make them slightly more difficult to EQ. But really, the Epi's aren't that bad in this regard, and with a little extra effort (and maybe a second band of parametric EQ), I can tame them as well in a boomy situation. The Accugrooves, though, seem to yield a wider variety of useful tones when EQ'd - which is one of the things I mean by saying that they "respond to EQ well."

10. There is that large gas bubble again.... really want to try a Whappo Jr. :eyebrow:

11. BTW, I just got a Epi T112 and put my Berg HT on top run by my WWU. The results in a boomy room were quite spectacular. Thanks Tom and Boogiebass for the recommendation on this duo.

12. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Big String...did you like it better than the HT112/EX112 combo?

13. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Turn down the bass boost/cut on your guitar if active and/or your amp, try increasing your mids slightly, and turn up the volume a little. I've also found, not having a grandma, that stacking the second cabinet, if you have two and placing them where the smallest side of the cabinet is in direct contact to the floor helps. I did learn, however, not to cut frequencies in the 40-80 hz range (I do have a graphic and frankly do not touch it, even in a more boomy room..I adjust the active controls on the bass and the bass boost knob on my amp only for bottom end control, not the graphic)..you can also play a little quieter on stage, but that's no fun!!!

I also agree with Tom B in that EA cabs have a very natural flat tone and are easier to adjust in taming a boomy room than the Ampegs and SWR's I've owned in the past. I think a possible alternative is to use cabs with smaller speakers although in the past my Epifani 212 and my current Schroeder 1210 sounded good in EVERY room under literally every condition just by turning the cabinet on end and slightly cutting the bottom end, slightly boosting the mids, and slightly turning up the volume.

Lkaye

14. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    All good suggestions. I agree with most of what's been stated here. I'd just like to add that, especially with the excellence of modern bass equipment, just about any room can be tamed with intelligent use of EQ. This is particularly true with gear like the Whappo Jr., EA amps and active basses. Of course, it's a trick to do it sometimes and I find the biggest help for me is a very long instrument cable or a good wireless unit! ;) There's nothing quite like getting out in the room and hearing exactly what you're pumping out there. :cool:

15. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    My current EQ isn't awfully flexible, but I do have the luxury of turning down the volume on the bottom Jr. cab and letting the top one do most of the work in particularly boom environments. :cool:

16. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Just a little EQ can make big differences with Accugrooves. I use my Thunderfunk/Whappo Jr combo in a variety of rooms and with just slight EQ adjustments (mostly the timbre control on the TFunk) and can always get balanced tone that is deep, yet punchy through the Accugroove.

17. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Thanks for your response,guys!...KB! I have the Thunderfunk as well and the DB728/DB680 Aggie...I was thinking to give the Berg Mini Stack a try, but I think Accu would be a better match with my particular amps..Are you satisfied with the combo of the TF and the whappo jr.?

I have the NV610 Berg, and I am definetely satisfied with this cab, but I need something a bit smaller and a bit more defined and clear for certain situations...

18. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Are you going to sell the NV610??? :hyper:
    Im looking for a new cab and a Bergantino in scandinavia is not common. :hyper:

19. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Nej, desvarre! ;) The NV610 is a great great cab, probably the best single cab I've tried, don't think I'll ever let it go...But they are not that expensive to get home, you should give it a try...definetely worth a little extra dough....

20. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    That is too bad. Where did you buy yours?