Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

accugroove cabinets...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cods, Oct 6, 2003.

1. cods

cods

Sep 16, 2003
    i search the forum here, and there isn't much information on them.

it also seems that there isn't much info about them on the web, regarding reviews and such.

who has one?

was it worth what you paid for it?

who has an el whappo(i know stingray4christ has one)?

if you've played one, how do they sound?

what are your thoughts about them?

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I know what you mean cods - according to the spec's, I THINK I need one because my Edens justs can't handle the lower end of a custom bass I had made for me. However, it's not like you can try them out due to their exclusivity.

Plus, they cost so much, it's not like you want to buy one on faith.

I've been able to try a used El Whappo once but I didn't care for all the "detail" produced by all the speakers stuck into a single cab.

However, their other cabs seem very attractive to me.

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have posted a good bit on them, so if you have indeed searched this forum (and the similar one in the double bass section), I won't bore you any further. However, I must say (reiterate) that they really are some excellent cabs that are worth the price. Yes, they are expensive, but they have a lot of things going on that help to run up the production costs (box in a box design, two silk dome tweeters, etc.).

As for their sound, as I mentioned elsewhere, they are very, very uncolored. They really make each instrument sound unique, and will point out the sonic qualities (both good and bad) of the rest of your gear. They are also very much full range, with strong lows and detailed highs, with good balance in between.

The Whappo, Jr. seems like a good balance of sonic performance and portability. It's on my Christmas list, for sure! :D

Tom.

4. cods

cods

Sep 16, 2003
    ^ i really like the idea of them being uncolored.

i've talked to stingray4christ( a member here who owns an accugroove) and he says that one el whappo can replace an 8x10, and in fact, and el whappo is louder than some 8x10's.

the website says the same thing.

how can this be?

do you guys really think that an el whappo can replace an entire 8x10?

5. I have played both the El Whappo and the Tri 112. I didn't drive the El Whappo that hard, but to me, the Tri 112 was more appealing. I am going to have to decide though, between two Tri 112s, two Acme LowB2s and my CXL-210/CXL-112 setup. Maybe I'll just get them all.... I wish!

Geoff

6. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Manager: AccuGroove Speakers
    Being the manufacture, I'll try to help with your questions & then shut up.

"I've talked to stingray4christ (a member here who owns an AccuGroove) and he says that one El Whappo can replace an 8x10, and in fact, and El Whappo is louder than some 8x10's. The website says the same thing. How can this be?"

The first thing we did was to redesign EVRYTHING from the ground up. Think of a house. You can do a rebuild to cut your cost, but you are limited to what you can do. This is what most manufacturers do. (2x10, 3x10, 4x10, 6x10, 8x10...it's all the same)

Instead of building on what others have done, we tore down the entire house & started with a new foundation from scratch. This does not make us better than anyone, but it helps answer the question on "how." We had to reinvent the wheel so to speak.

"Do you guys really think that an El Whappo can replace an entire 8x10?"

We do not spread hype because we're bass players first & foremost. It's our customers that make these statements, not us. I will say that it was built into the design for one cabinet replacing multiple boxes.

A player called this morning telling us the he just replaced his fairly new 4x10 & 15 with our tiny Tri 208 cab. Last week another player replaced his 4x10 & 15 with an El Whappo. Another player replaced his 4x10 with our Tri 110, etc. It's not hype, but real stories & it happens all the time.

Keep in mind that I have the highest respect for the other cabinet guys. Everyone is doing what they feel needs to be done & that's cool. We just needed something out of the box...no pun intended.

Humbly,
    Mark

7. WOOFMAN

WOOFMAN

Mar 12, 2003
    USA, PNW
    Hey Mark, I have a gig next weekend, can you send me a demo Whappo?

8. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    I just slipped one in an envelope, stuck a couple of stamps on it & dropped it off at the post office. And you know how reliable they are...

9. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    :D

10. cods

cods

Sep 16, 2003

holy crap! i think it's amazing that the guy that makes the el whappo took time to answer my thread.

what do i do if there isn't an accugroove dealer in my state(georgia)?

11. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    you'll find all manner of industry folk on TB. Almost all of them are worth their weight in gold for the information they provide. Hang around and you'll see what I mean.

12. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Ay, it’s Pete, me favorite AussieGroove. Too right!

He's the ridgie didge, say’s this Seppo. ;)

13. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    and ya know what, all Aussies are as cool, intelegment, sophistomocated, and intelegment as me! They are! So why haven't you organised for any-one to import Accugrove into this country. C'mon, I'm listening - and this had better be good!!!!!!!!!!

14. Stingray4Christ

Stingray4Christ

Jan 28, 2003
    NY
    I replaced my 2X10 and 1X15 setup with my El Whappo. It sounds HUGE. One of the things that really made AccuGroove win me over was Mark Wright's service. Not only do you get a phenominal piece of equipment, but it's backed by a company that won't ever leave you hanging.

~Pete

15. Stingray4Christ

Stingray4Christ

Jan 28, 2003
    NY
    Drive real far like me haha. 6 hours for the Accu baby!!!

16. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Has anyone here tried the Gordo 18"?

It seems to me that this was designed to be a "15 killer" - but I'm curious as to why Accugroove went with an 18 and not a 15.

I'm looking for a good sub so I'd love to try one out. Hopefully I'll be able to make it to Low Down Sound in a few months, so maybe they will have one...

17. cods

cods

Sep 16, 2003
    i hear that accugrooves are very clear, even at low frequencies, but how is the treble on them?

18. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Cods:

I played through a mini-whappo yesterday at GuitarX in Denver. I used a Glockenklang Soul head with a Geddy Lee jazz bass. I couldnt believe the high end through this setup! I started slapping a little (just a little b/c I suk at it) but the ping was outrageous! The high-mid snarl of the jazz was omnipresent in the store. The cab put out everything that was put into it with ease and a smooth glossy sheen on the jazz bass sound! :bassist:

19. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Agreed. The Mini Whappo is a phenomenal cab. The high end is on a par with Epifani, which is saying a lot. I A/B'd a Mini Whappo with an Epi T-112/T-110UL combo, and the two were fairly similar on frequency range and overall volume. The Accugroove was slightly superior in sound (and definitely less colored), but I liked the flexibility of having two cabs, so I picked up the Epi's. However, having heard the Mini, the Whappo, Jr. and the Tri 208, each one really impressed me, and I now officially have "Whappo Envy!"
    :D

Tom.

20. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    “What do I do if there isn't an AccuGroove dealer in my state (Georgia)?”
    Bass Central is your closest dealer: 800-545-8813

“So why haven't you organized for any-one to import AccuGroove into this country. C'mon, I'm listening - and this had better be good!!!!!!!!!!”

We are waiting for the right distributor so you guys will be treated well. In the mean time we can certainly sell direct.

“Has anyone here tried the Gordo 18"? It seems to me that this was designed to be a "15 killer" - but I'm curious as to why AccuGroove went with an 18 and not a 15.”

Most (not all) of the 15s in bass cabinets only go down to around 40 Hz. The 15 built into our El Whappo (which is a full range cab) goes down to 35 Hz. (29 Hz@-6db) 90% of the players do not need to go any lower than that. However, we received many calls from players that wanted something with the following parameters, so we went to work.
    1. A tiny cab (21.5”H x 24 ¾”W x 19.5” D)
    2. Handle a lot of power (800 watts)
    3. Supplement the low end (Frequency Response SPL: 29 Hz – 1,100)