Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

AccuGroove cabs

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Dan Lenard, Feb 2, 2003.

1. Dan Lenard

Dan Lenard Banned

Mar 8, 2002
    Brian,

This is not about you in particular.
    I read your comments to be skewed against AC and pro brands you represent.
    I would question ANY bass biz guy's opinion on tis forum.
    Seems selfserving, even IF it is an honest opinion.
    This is why you don't see me praising the builders I work with and saying I do not care for a builders' work I do not care for.

I don't think it's proper for us bass business guys to use BassTalk as a place to promote our businesses.
    That's something for our clients to do if they choose to.

So, I ask the readers of TalkBass to tell me - is this a bass for businesses to advertise ?

2. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    Apparently it's a place for SWR to advertise...

I don't object to ad banners, but I do object to representatives of Brand X gear touting their wares and dissing Brand Y gear in the forums.

I would like to see any dealers or manufacturer's reps labeled as such, so we can get an idea what biases they might have.

3. Firstly, It's talkbass.

Secondly, I personally don't see guys like Brian, (or Bob Lee from QSC, or Adrian Garcia) or any of the other guys who represent bass biz as a negative addend to this board. But to the contrary, their experience and knowledge is a draw for me. In my experience, if they are biased, they state it up front. Further, they carry (or manufacture) product lines they trust or use themselves -BECAUSE THEY ARE BASS PLAYERS FIRST.

First rule of business: dont piss off your constituency. Selling an inferior product with your name attached to it will put you under. I dont think these guys are out to put a stigma on thier names for the sake of a quick sale.

Perhaps I am totally off base, but logic seems to say not.

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I'm with Not78pbass on this one. If anyone on these forum's knows what they're talking about, it's the industruy guys. The ones I'm come across have been honest, open, and have indeed been very helpful without being overbearing salesmen. And if I had, for example, a QSC or GK amp with a problem, I'd prefer to talk to Bob Lee or Tripwalmsley here in TB rather than my local dealer, my local electronics shop, of the official channels.

If they get out of line, pull em in but I haven't seen it yet - far from it.

5. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    It should be known to all that the person who started this thread is likewise a dealer with a total of only 9 posts on TB. There are lot sof TB members who are dealers and or company representatives and CONTRIBUTE to TB in many ways.

What's up Dan???

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I don't know Dan but I do agree, if you're a dealer, at least take the high road and don't bash the competition.

That other thread was pretty much on target, there are some here who post their wares in threads that have nothing to do with them. If someone is looking for a particular type of top on a bass and the pic you post of something you sell doesn't have it... why post it? That's spam and some people don't know who the dealers are.

I have no problems with dealers being here... maybe they should mention it in their sig just to keep things on the up and up.

Just a thought.

7. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    I agree 1000% about not bashing the competition. That's why I didn't offer any opinion one way or another in that thread but rather directed the poster to a 3rd dealer in his backyard who stocks everything he was looking to compare.

8. IMO, it is fine for dealers to offer opinions when asked for opinions on specific products that they carry. You get into a bit of a grey area with promotion of products that haven't been asked about, or when they put down products that they don't carry.

I see two classes here. There are dealers who offer opinions on only what the thread is about. There are those that throw in the brands they deal anytime anyone asks about what high end bass people would get, based on specific basses that the thread author has pre-selected. I think the first kind is fine, but the second... I don't know. It seems Brian Barrett tends to get a lot of fire for the latter. From what I have seen, the Dude and Adrian are good examples of how I think dealers should approach things. Then again, it isn't really my decision.

My $0.02.

Geoff

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    And that's why we love ya, ya big lug;)

Seriously. You're one of the most helpful guys on the web, period IMO. I've never seen a hint of you trying to push anything on anyone.

10. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Yup, I'm in agreement with this, too. I've seen it happen here a time or two. Don't dig it at all when we get those "recommendations" that dis the stuff they don't sell. They know who they are.

11. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    Well, I guess I was wrong for stating that the cab was better for home stereo then Bass.
    My reasoning was that they are a little to clean and more of an even balanced cab. Depending on the setting your using it in it might and might not matter, just an opinion.

That said, I’m sorry about this whole thing. The guy on the El Whappo post asked for an opinion, I gave mine as a player, not as a dealer. That is why I never said anything about contact me for Epifani or Berg sells, but to check out the other cabs!!
    I’m sorry I only sell brand’s that I personally would play. I’m not in the business to sell every big name that advertises in BassPlayer. I’m sorry if some have a problem with this.

I also, don’t think I ever hide the fact of being a dealer. It’s in my signature attached to ever post and in my profile!

I’m sorry about this ordeal, and Dan is a great guy. For some reason I think the company being talked about might have a hand in his post!

12. Oh what a tangled web we weave, eh?

I'm with the Dude on this one in that Dan Lenard is a dealer, and I don't see anything that mentions that fact...I think the tone is accusatory and certainly doesn't lend itself to a discussion of the issue at hand, rather sets folks to having to defend themselves for doing nothing wrong!

I've not seen Brian Barrett, or the Dude, or Adrian G. or many others here (who regularly contribute), being pushy about products they sell. Let's face it, there are a variety of reasons why someone may sell product X and another sells product Y, not the least of which is personal taste and experience with various products. Also, these folks are all human beings who have a passion for the bass, and have a good deal of real-world experience from which to share.

Dan, I think your question's been answered.

I'd hate for these folks to have to "walk on egg-shells", afraid of being accused of pushing their own agendas, etc. when they give their opinions on a subject! Good grief, what do you expect them to do? Dis the products they're selling? Come on.....

And for what it's worth, I've talked with all the folks discussed in this thread at one time or another!

mark s.

13. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I agree, to a point. I don't think anyone would accuse Dude, Gard, Adrian, Mike Dimin, etc of pushing their wares full force at anyone on Talkbass. And, they are all supporting members, too.

If I see someone witha sales "agenda," you can be certain that when I am in the market for new toys to buy with gobs of disposable income (I wish), it certainly won't be to the ones who annoy me with spam on Talkbass...

Whereas, with folks like Dude, I just recently got another set of TIs from him, he underquoted me a set by mistake, I noticed from his pricelist at the Dudepit, and sent him the right amount and told him about it. :) If you've got my respect, I'll use your business (granted, Dude also has the best prices, and the best service I've found online, too).

14. Why? I truly feel that the dealers that frequent this site have been pretty honest with us. If they feel that a piece is not up to snuff, whether they carry it or not, i don't think its our place to stifle their words. Of course use good judgement, but if they feel that they can only speak about thier own products, then they will be just pitching and spamming. JMHO

15. I'm with Not78pbass on that one... if they have something to contribute, even if it casts a negative light on a product they don't carry, then they should be allowed to contribute....

I guess the question is: should there be censorship on dealers? Man, I hope not.... Hopefully the moderators will point out the errors of people's ways and keep the spam out of here!

16. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Ok now enough is enough. If you've got something to say...say it already ok? All this innuendo and aspersion is as bad or worse than the so called "spam" you're accusing people of doing.

Spit it out or be quiet ok?

Are you referring to my thread titled "Wanna see something pretty?"

Dude's Wanna See Somthing Pretty Thread Here

17. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    To the other readers of this thread...No, I'm not being paranoid. Someone reported that thread to the moderators as being "Spam" because I got a private message from a Talkbass Moderator that said the following (Name of Mod witheld)

"Steve -

Just an FYI...

Somebody actually reported your Benavente post to us mods as being too commercial (!). I know better - you have a well-known passion for expensive toys and like to share the fun, and your mention that the bass was for sale was incidental to the post. I do not consider your post spam, but just be aware there are some that have easily wadded knickers.

As I said, just an FYI. I don't think you even came close to crossing the line... "

18. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Am I the only one here who thinks this entire thread is being blown WAY out of proportion? If Brian would have wrote "IMHO" instead of a smiley face would it have been an acceptable post then? I mean he just said "might try a Berigie 112 or an epifani 112", he didn't say "hey, come to my place and buy a Berg or an Epi off of me... you'll be much happier".
    All it was...(IMHO ) was Brian's true opinion. We should all know by now that people have enough different likes and dislikes about how a bass rig 'should sound' that without trying it out for yourself first you're taking a HUGE risk, but it your money.
    I've never tried an Accugroove, but I would love too. I've tried lots of cabs lately and that's why i'm currently waiting for an Aggie 2-12 to show up at my door(should be any day now). Some people don't dig the Aggies, but I do... I don't hold it against the people who don't like 'em that's they're opinion. Some people need relax a bit and quit being so easily offended. This, of course, is just IMHO

19. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    LOL...I'm not the one with the 'tude". My name was in the three dealer names that you said above that "more than one of the above" dealers who "recently" broke the spam rule. I am quite aware of Talkbass rules and have been a supporting member here longer than you have and also long before I had my own board ok? I do take offense to your condesending and accusatory tone. Like I said, if you have somethingto say then spit it out and don't hide behind innuendo and aspersions ok?

20. Dan Lenard

Dan Lenard Banned

Mar 8, 2002
    Jeez, another fine mess....

refer to my posting 2-2-03

"Us guys in the bass Biz ( sic ) ...."
    I said this to make it clear I was speaking as a dealer without mentioning my company's name, which seems inappropriate.
    Also to make it clear where my comments are coming from.

No, I do not post much up here at TB.
    TB is a great thing but there is only some much time in the day.
    Because of my lack of time on TB I do not know the nuances about what type of postings are cool and which are not.

NO - my posting was of my own free will and NOT
    done at the urging on anyone else.

I agree that dealers should be identified as such.
    Let the readers know this and decide if it is relevant
    or not.
    To think that all dealers who post opinions are NEVER thinking in business mode seems a bit naive.