1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Accugroove El Whappo alternative?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by eoinfennessy, Nov 27, 2010.

1. eoinfennessy

eoinfennessy

Nov 25, 2010
    I have been trying for quite a while to order an Accugroove El Whappo cabinet. However, it looks as though there are problems with the business and unfortunately, I probably won't be able to get one. I had my heart set on the El Whappo because it is a full range cab that is very powerful and sounds completely uncolored (like a giant studio monitor). Can anyone here recommend an alternative to this cab which meets the aforementioned guidelines? I would be very grateful to anybody who could help me.
    Thank you,
    Eoin

2. Laurent

Laurent

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    There is no real alternative to Accugroove El Whappo. Some of the custom makers can get close (LDS for example) but not quite there. Accugroove cabinets are designed for six strings bass players and up (they sound great on 4 sting bass as well), they are really incredible for full range frequency reproduction.

They do come up for sale on a regular basis however. With some research and patience, you will find one.

3. Don't know if I would call the Whappo 'flat', but it is a nice sounding box. I don't think any cab is really flat, but I know what you mean about that more 'studio monitor' sort of deal.

I would recommend that you at least consider an LDS (Low Down Sound) 1212/6/1 cab, based on the amazing 3012LF neo drivers, the 18 Sound mid driver, and my personal choice of the Eminence tweeter and Don's 'Patterson' 800hz/3.5K three way crossover.

Fantasic sounding cab, in the spirit of other three way cabs. More even with more powerful mids and a strong top end if you want it versus the El Whappo (Don uses attenuators on the mid and tweeter), and just as powerful low end. About half the price also, although you will wait a few months for delivery. Custom colors (duratex, tolex, carpet.. whatever).

Here is a clip of a pretty over the top 'red' one that will give you a sense of the sound... very smooth, fat, creamy, with a bit of hi fi up top if you engage the tweeter.

http://www.youtube.com/Kjungbass#p/u/9/cNZdhoNxW2I

4. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    I have not tried either of these.. But friends have the Barefaced Big One and seem to dig it... 15 and a 6.5

And Genz Benz has a new Uber Quad.. 12x 8x8 x tweet.
    May need to get two of them. they are designed for multi string 6 - 7 string basses from what i have read.. I have no hands on experience with either.

5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    There are quite a few 3015LF or dual 3012LF loaded cabs that meet or even beat the El Whappo. Most are custom built or DIY, but they're out there.

6. +1 The Greenboy fEarful DIY, the Barefaced cabs, and the LDS builds all are quite amazing to me, and it seems to me the newer mid drivers these 12/6 and 15/6 cabs are using result in a much more even tone when cranked... they can actually keep up with those big drivers in a mix. Nice stuff, and reasonably priced.

7. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    Yup, and I've got one on order, although I'm gonna have Don put the mid over the woofer, instead of the tweeter, for better mid range clarity. Hopefully Don can get it done before his move, as I only live an hour away. Never played a Whappo, and have never seen anyone use one.

8. Cool! Killer cab! He isn't moving for a while... should be no issue.

9. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    Thanks, I definitely like that 12/12/6/1, especialy the 36" height spec. One thing I have noticed in the last 10 years or so is that I like cabs closer to my ears.

10. I actually erased that 15/6 post since I realized you were getting a 1212/6/1. GREAT cab again.

11. eoinfennessy

eoinfennessy

Nov 25, 2010
    Thanks very much for all the suggestions. I think the Barefaced Big One looks like a good option for me, so I've contacted the company.

12. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    Let us know how that works out. That cab has been on my radar for a while.. still have not played one..

13. eoinfennessy

eoinfennessy

Nov 25, 2010
    "Let us know how that works out. That cab has been on my radar for a while.. still have not played one.."

Will do, SVT. Thanks again for all the help!

14. Laurent

Laurent

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    Granted, once i a while you hear a great custom cab. However, for one great sounding one you hear legions of poor sounding ones. It's very complicated stuff unless you are a pro and an inspired pro at that. I would rather let somebody else pay for all the R&D rather than doing it on my dime. That's why I think multi driver cabs should be left to cab builders who have the resources, the time and the expertise of deveopping them.

15. mntngrown

mntngrown Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2007
    The lost Sierra
    They are diy for the build not the design. The design has undergone more R&D than many big company products it seems.

16. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i actually prefer the whappo jr ( and i love mine) over the el whappo, but i did build a vox looking cab based on greenboy's 12126 design and i have to say that it sounds nearly identical to it. (i.e same output, sensitivity and tone). so much so, that i do not need to adjust any of my preamp's level or eq controls when i use one or the other.

17. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    The fEarful has undergone more R&D than any 'big company' electric bass cabs. IMO it's a better design than 95% of what's out there, including A-G.
    Yes and no. Designing a superior speaker is very complicated. But it's not the exclusive domain of the 'pro'. Quite the opposite, in fact. DIY speakers have always been far ahead of the curve compared to factory built, on average by ten years.

18. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    If the fEarful design is public domain, and, assuming it was OK with Greenboy to produce this design, why has no manufcaturer actually gone this route? Seems odd that all this free R&D should go to waste.

Then again, maybe this design is too expensive (meaning limited market share) to create enough volume for a big manufacturer.

Imagine if Fender or GK used their manufacturing muscle to build something other than the same old thing.

19. I disagree with the original premise. Cabs with mid drivers have some advantages based on typical one or two way/mid driver withtweeter cabs (less midrange distortion to my ear, and a bit better upper midrange dispersion, and also the ability to use a 'deeper voiced' woofer to get more true low end).

HOWEVER, this also gives these cabs a unique voicing that may work for some very well, and not for others. Reproducing the recorded bass tones that many love based on over a half century of recordings can be achieved wonderfully with many of the high quality one way and more traditional two way cabs available today.

On the other hand, if the mid driver/deeply voiced woofer approach is desired, there are and have been quite a few executions on the market... the original EA VL cabs, the Accugrooves, the Acme three way cabs, the wonderful Greenboy DIY cabs, the Barefaced Audio cabs, the upcoming Genz Benz three way cab, and a variety of custom executions beautifully executed by LDS (a small 'custom cab' shop out of Detoit that has been using mid drivers in various cab executions for years and years).

IMO! For me, an expertly designed two way cab (Bergantino, TC, Audiokinesis, Epifani, etc.) is a beautiful thing also.

The buyer (especially the TBer who is more aware of all these options than the typical bassist) can pretty much have any voicing or design he/she desires at this point.

IMO, and lots of IME!

20. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    The fEarful cab plans are explicitly labeled as "not for commercial use."