1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Accugroove El Whappo, anyone using/used one?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dr Funk, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Dr Funk

Dr Funk "If you ain't appearing then you be disappearing" Gold Supporting Member

:help:
    If you have any experiences with an Accugroove El Whappo would you be kind enough to share your experiences? I am particularly interested in how it stacks up against a 410 or 610 high quality cabinet. Thanks for any thoughts you can share. I have done searches here resulting in very little available info.
    Thanks for sharing!

2. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    don't have the EL Whappo, but i LOVE my El Whappo Jr.
    its probably the best sounding cab that i own (and i own alot of them-see my profile ;)).

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1 I used to own both, but I ended up selling the El Whappo and keeping my Whappo, Jr. Personally, I preferred the tighter and more controlled lows from the Jr. I could see where others may prefer the EW, though.

Tom.

4. ad9000

ad9000 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2004
    Leucadia, CA
    I had a Whappo Jr. and eventually got rid of it. It was just too dark sounding for me, and nothing I did EQ-wise totally overcame that (with various amps). On the plus side, it had great projection, very articulate low mids and a thunderous, pant leg-flapping bottom end, without getting boomy. That is just my take though, it might be perfect for others.

5. I had a Tri112 and a Tri115 (basically an ElWhappo split in half).
    LOVED it.
    It's a different way of hearing your bass. You WILL hear more of yourself. Not necessarily just in volume, but in overall distinction.
    Like playing through a big pair of studio monitors.
    You'll hear EVERYthing.

Just don't let your keyboard player ever plug into you rig. You my never get it back!

6. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I used the EW for a year straight and it has a HUGE sound, but ended up selling it and going back to vintage gear

7. Sliderbass

Sliderbass Dr. Bass, The best cabinet you'll NEVER own!

I've got a newer El-Whappo and an older Whappo Jr. Tom & John hit the nail on the head. The El-whappo moves so much air I had to keep checking the cab early on to see if something was wrong. The Jr. is a bit tighter as stated but I kinda like the larger cab a bit more. Either of them will be all one would need.

I wonder how both of them would sound????

Sounds like I need to try that...:D

8. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    yeah, my EW Jr. is the newest version with the neos (and it's pretty lightweight too at only 56lbs) unfortunately i haven't ever had a chance to try any of the older ones or the larger EW.

9. Sliderbass

Sliderbass Dr. Bass, The best cabinet you'll NEVER own!

my two are in two different locations right now or else I would try this little experiment sooner rather than later. Its added to my "to-do" list.

btw John, LOVING your preamp comparisons! Very well written!

sorry for the hijack, and now back to your regularly scheduled program...

10. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    I've had both and I gotta concur with the EW Jr. sentiments. More focused and tighter lows, not as darkly voiced from what I remember.

11. BIGREDSIX

BIGREDSIX Supporting Member

+1 on what has been said. I owned both - they are both stellar and both sounded great with whatever amp I used with them (GBE1200, SD800, Tfunk 550B), but if I had to choose just one, it would be the Jr.

12. Dr Funk

Dr Funk "If you ain't appearing then you be disappearing" Gold Supporting Member

Wow thanks so much for all this info! Please keep it coming. :cool:

13. Bassman7PM

Bassman7PM

Mar 13, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    Curious, I'm looking to pick up a Whappo Jr. in a couple of months and was wondering how it would pair with my Carvin B1500. Tom, any thoughts?

14. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    well i'm not Tom, but i can say that my EW Jr. pairs up beautifully with every bass head and preamp/poweramp rig that i own. and that;s everything from an SVT,to a V4b, to a GK1001RBII, to an Eden, to a Genz Benz, to my channel strip/poweramp rigs.

15. Dr Funk

I'm not Tom either, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Select last night.
    I will let you know how the ElW sounds with my B2000 soon. I'm getting warm and fuzzy just thinking about it.

16. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Absolutely LOVE my DB750 thru my Whappo Jr. Hands down best rig I've used. To me, and to echo all the above statements, the El Whappo was a little TOO much for me in the low end and overall volume. Of course, if I REALLY wanted to kill small rodents on stage I could pair my Whappo Jr with my Tri112 and Tri115 at 2ohms thru my DB750. Haven't had the courage, or adult diapers, to try it yet.

17. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    if i owned all of those accugroove cabs, i'd definitely try running multiples of them, of course whether you'll need some adult diapers, all i can say is, 'depends' ;)

Cirk likes this.
  18. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    :D

I just might!!!!

19. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    The Whappo, Jr. and Tri 115L pair up really, really nicely! :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :cool:

20. Dr Funk

Better give homeland security a courtesy:bag: heads up!