Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Accugroove EL Whappo Jr

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jeflepard, Jul 23, 2004.

1. jeflepard

jeflepard

Nov 11, 2003
    USA Atlanta, Ga
    I bought it yesterday at the Atlanta Bass Gallery- Very cool place- I played on the gig last night and It sounded great. I played thru a Thunderfunk Amp and a F-Bass BN5. It is a much different sound than my Bergantino HT 322 but I really like it. I have much more control of my tone and it sounded great at lower volumes. I could really hear the tone of my bass. It was very natural sounding. In comparison the Bergantino is a great sound but I have to really drive it and in most cases it overpowers the rooms that I play. The Accugroove is a more transparent sound and it didn't seem to need as much power to sound great. I am excited about my rig. I just wanted to share my experience with you.

2. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Congrats, jl; I bet it sounds sweet.

3. jl

Congratulations on joining the Groove club! I got my Tri112L last week and I too am really impressed with how it sounds out of the box. Having now spent a bit time fine tuning the EQ on my amp and bass I would say that I am very close to getting the sound I have been searching for, for many years.

These cabinets are amazing! :hyper: .

Matthew :bassist:

4. Nightbass

Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Wow, that caught my attention! I'm looking for a good cab to use with my Aguilar DB-359 200W tube head. If the Whappo Jr. sounds good at low volumes, it just might be the ticket.

What heads have worked best with the Whappo Jr? Anyone?

Nightbass

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I own a Whappo, Jr. (with the neo drivers), and will second the above comments. The Jr. really did amaze me in its ability to sound great at any volume level. The only other cab I have tried that does that are my beloved VL-208's. The Jr. is very full sounding at any volume, and at any point on the neck, which I find to be unique. If you are playing higher up on the G-string, it still retains an authoritative thickness to the tone. Absolutely amazing. If it has a deficiency, it would be that its flat tone is not as aggressive on the upper mids and highs as many players may like it to be. This is easily resolved with a little EQ, though.

Or, you can also do what I did and that is buy a Tri 210L to sit on top! :D I saw a great deal on one on BassGear.com, and couldn't pass it up. We gigged out this past weekend, and I was able to use both the Whappo, Jr. and the Tri 210L. They stack perfectly. The sound was incredible! The Tri 210L is definitely a capable stand alone cab, but it adds a nice bit of upper midrange articulation and speaks just a little bit higher than the Jr. The two really pair up well. I will post pics after lunch.

Tom.

6. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I have used mine with a Walkabout, ThunderFunk, and iAMP 800, as well as my rack rig (Eden Navigator/PLX 3002). Obviously, the 3,000w rack rig has the most headroom, and sounds great. But even the Walkabout pushes it quite well. Tonally, the Walkabout and ThunderFunk were both very good with the Whappo, Jr., but in all honesty, I prefer the additional headroom of the iAMP 800 or my rack rig. The Whappo, Jr. can take all the watts you throw at it (with some caution and common sense involved, of course!), so more watts will give you more volume and more control, punch, etc. The cab will not be your limiting factor.

That said, I'd say that the Walkabout would work well in situations where tone is important, but louder volume is not a factor; the ThunderFunk would have enough juice to push the Jr. in most moderate volume situations; the iAMP 800 is going to have the wattage for nearly any situation and EQ to spare; and a good rack rig will take you as far as you will ever need to go.

Hope this helps, Tom.

7. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Here is the Whappo, Jr. with my new (to me) Tri 210L sitting on top:
    [​IMG]

8. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    Germany
    well, the only thing i can do is to agree as well:

the first gig i played after receiving my whappo, jr. was a "semi-acoustic pop-jazz" thing. i actually felt a bit guilty when bringing the accugroove and a QSC PLX2402 along. ;)

anyway, i used a read custom preamp, and the sound i got was simply stunning.

by the way: thanks tom, for leading me to that cab!

9. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Happy to oblige!

10. Chapbass

Chapbass

Dec 11, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    OMG tombowlus, not cool, thats so mean....

(As in...im jealous as hell right now...)

MAJOR GAS and i havent even been wanting a new rig lately....

hmmm....accugroove rig or college tuition?....

11. Tom...

I previously owned a Whappo Jr., and used to use your exact rig for amplification! I borrowed a Tri 210's from a friend for a loud gig I was doing...and wow...'big' is about the only word I could use to describe it. BUT I gotta tell ya, since I got rid of my Whappo Jr., (and that amp system) my friend has picked up another Tri 210 - and of course - I had go down to his gig sit in on a couple tunes to give it a whirl. All I can say is...get another 210. Big difference in overall clarity and presence. I can say that with a fair amount of certainty, because HE was the one I sold my Navigator and PLX to. (I was playing through my old rig). Its worth a listen if you can get the opportunity to try out.

12. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    That's gotta sound awesome.

Tom, you might have to retire some of your other cabs after this move.

13. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    True, I should! :D In fact, I have several for sale right now! I don't plan on getting rid of my remaining EA cabs (I did sell my CX-310 - it was a bit too awkward to carry up and down my basement steps), or my Epifani's, or my custom Dr. Bass, or my Raezer's Edge, or my Mesa Boogie cabs...:help:

But! Except for that, I am selling (or trying to sell) all of my other cabs! Which, BTW, would be three Peavey's, an Eden, and an Ashdown, for the record.:D

14. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Yes, the Tri 210L has more upper mid and high end clarity than the Jr., and has just about as much low end. Two of them would definitely kick! I do like the thick, full meaty tone of the Whappo, Jr., though, although it definitely benefits from the additional clarity provided by the Tri 210L. I haven't really put it through a lot of paces yet, but the Tri 210L is one extremely promising cab! Accugroove has really hit a high mark, here (no pun intended!).

15. Ok...most definately hold onto the Whappo then for that 'thick' thing. (I sometimes found...in that thick dept. - almost difficult to control. Not nearly to the degree of the 322, but...I don't know...maybe its just the 12 thing.)
    Also interesting: you're still holding on to your EA stuff. (I know you're especially fond of the 208) - that's one I never had the opportunity to own. Having owned both brands myself, I found the AG stuff far superior in ease of controlling unwanted frequencies in 'funky' rooms. That being said, I must say I do like the Cxl112...but you just have to use to many of them.

16. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I just did a mini shootout in my music room last night between the Accugroove Rig (Jr./Tri 210L), the VL-208 stack (3 of 'em), and the Epifani Rig (T-112/T-112/T-110UL). It always helps to refresh the memory, and I do love to compare and contrast!

The Accugroove Rig is by far the thickest tone, though not as articulate or clear as the VL-208s. I do find myself needing to boost the higher frequencies on my EQ somewaht. This is my preferred rig for outdoor events.

The VL-208's are stunningly clear, articulate, and balanced. Not as much overall low end as the Accugroove Rig, but I'd say they went just as deep. This would be my preferred indoor rig. Interestingly, I find EA cabs (VL-208's, especially) to be tops when it comes to ability to control unwanted frequencies in "funky" rooms - although the Accugrooves also excel in this regard.

The Epifani Rig really surprised me. I hadn't jammed through my Epi's in a while, and boy, did it sound good! Definitely the highest high end of the bunch (though all three have great sounding tweeters, just the other two don't get the sparkly high that the Epi's do). Fairly equivalent low end booty to the Accugroove cabs, though the thickness was not as evenly spread across the frequency spectrum, compared to the AG's. All in all, a great sounding rig, although I have found in the past that with the Epi's it is somewhat more difficult to control the unwanted frequencies.

I also briefly fired up my Mesa Boogie Rig (Diesel 4x10, Diesel Powerhouse, Jr., Walkabout), and it really impressed me with 4-string, but the low B was not nearly as strong as the other cab combos. To be fair, though, these cabs were designed back before 5-string was as prevalent as it is today. Punchy as all getout, and sure to cut through in any mix. Looks darn good, too!

17. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Thanks for the GREAT comparison review Tom! Awesome. I would love to try the Accugroove Combo and compare with my personal reference and favorite; Bergantino HT322. I still find this one cabinet does everything I want from one cabinet.

18. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Sounds like if you swapped out the low mid 12 of the Jr. with one of the 10's of the Tri 210, you might get the best of both? Or just get the tri 110, tri 112, and the gordo on the bottom and your set...

19. I had the Tri 110, nice box...actually a little large for a 1 10; I tried the Tri 112 with it...and the 110 wasn't even in the same class - they didn't mate up well at all. The 110 farted out before the 12 really started moving. I would however like to mate the 210 with a 112...that might be interesting.

20. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Great review! I still can't believe that you own so many hi-fi bass cabs but not a single Acme - I'd love to know how they stack up compared to the Accugrooves, EAs and Epifanis - though that may cause serious GAS...

Alex