Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

AccuGroove, Epifani or Glockenklang

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by christoph h., Jan 13, 2004.

1. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    Germany
    Hi, does anyone have experience with a pair of the following cabs:

1) Accugroove Whappo, Jr.
    2) Epifani T-410 (NYC)
    3) Glockenklang 4x10 (either one)

Could you compare them to me, especially with regards to "flatness" (no coloration), efficency and "musicality"?

Also, did anyone at NAMM check out Carey Nordstrand's reference rig?

I'm running a Read preamp and I heard he's doing the same, so I'd like to know which cab he chose!

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Not with ALL of them, but if you want my thoughts on the Whappo, Jr. and Epifani cabs, let me know.

Tom.

3. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I own the Epifani T-410, and I love it. It has a lot of bottom end for a 4x10 cab, and the highs are nice and clear.

One of its other appeals is its lack of coloration. I may not be the best person to try to explain this, but having a flat response basically means that the cab does not feature an inherent cut or boost in any particular frequency range. One way to see this is to set all of your tone knobs on both your bass and your head to no cut or boost and then play. If your cab has little coloration, then you'll see that your sound is relatively even across the frequency spectrum.

Hope that helps!

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I own three Epifani cabs, as well as a Whappo, Jr. While I really do like my Epi's, and while they are a good bit less colored than other cabs, I would have to say that they are no where near as "uncolored" as Accugroove cabs (more on that later). That said, I do think that they are pretty good as far as tonal balance goes (though perhaps they are a bit mid-scooped in comparison to a very accurate cab like Accugroove or EA). My T-112/T-110UL combo really takes this tonal balance to another level, and becomes very much in the same league as Accugroove (though still more colored). The Epifani tweeters really are nice, and they will give you very sweet, brilliant high end with no hiss. I also find Epi's to be very strong in the low E range, though not so strong as Accugroove on the low B.

The lack of coloration that I hear in Accugroove cabs (and I have heard this in not only the Whappo, Jr., but also in the Tri 208 and Mini Whappo) is most readily apparent when you switch instruments. Each instrument sound unique, and the individual character is allowed to shine through. It reminded me of a recording session we did in a VERY expensive studio, and I had 2-3 basses with me in the control room playing through a Neve board and ungodly expensive powered monitors the size of refridgerators. By contrast, these same instruments will sound different though my Epi's, but there will be an underlying "Epifani sound" that remains present. It's not a bad sound, and in fact, I like it a lot, but my Epi cabs are not transparent in the same sense that my Whappo, Jr. is.

The closest sounding cab(s) that I have to the Whappo, Jr. are my EA VL-208's. At lower volumes, they sound pretty darn similar (though even then you can tell that the AG goes lower). As you crank them, the additional low end of the Whappo, Jr. is extremely apparent, but the mids and highs remain fairly simliar. Obviously, the Whappo, Jr. moves a lot more air than the diminutive VL-208. What I have not done yet, but which should be interesting, is to compare the Whappo, Jr. to all three of my VL-208's (which really sound incredible together). I have not had a chance to gig out with the Jr., but I hope to very soon.

The T-410UL is a knockout cab, that is for sure. Comparing it to the Whappo, Jr. is somewhat of a win/win scenario, really. Of course, I have not heard any Glocks yet...;)

Later, Tom.

5. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    Germany
    excellent input, thanks!

now if someone had tested a glockenklang and the accugroove...

6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I really liked the Take Five, very detailed and even sounding, but I haven't played the others, so I can't compare them.

I want to suggest Tech Soundsystems as another contender. I'd be hard pressed to choose between a Glock and a Tech.

7. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    Germany
    where can I find the Tech's around cologne?

8. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Art of Sound used to have them, but they're gone for good.

As of now, I don't know any shop around here.

9. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    Germany
    too bad... i really was kind of shocked when I when a few days ago I wanted to pay i visit to art of sound and they were gone! :(

so... glockenklang vs. accugroove, anyone?

10. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I believe that Carey has a tri 110 from accugroove to go with the Read pre.