AccuGroove---experience anyone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dont, Aug 2, 2004.

1. dont

Jul 25, 2004
    Has anyone tried the Bill Dickens sub and /or Signature 212? How about the Gordo or Whappo Grande? I am upgrading and looking for something that will give me a very solid and LOUD deep tone down to low B. I have plenty of power---a Crest Pro 200 8200 and an Alembic F1X. My main bass is a Sukop five. I like my sound to be felt as much as heard. Suggestions?
  2. I have 0 experience with Accugroove...but if low, clean, and loud is in the mix, I'd suggest Acme.

I've always thought "Whappo Grande" was the best name for a bass cabinet, though...
  3. Stingray4Christ

Jan 28, 2003
    I have the AccuGroove El Whappo and I really think it is the best stand alone cab out there. I've only played through the El Whappo and the Whappo Jr., but from what I've heard the majority (if not all) of AccuGroove cabs are very Low B capable. I've even played a low F# through my El Whappo and it really handled it nicely. If you really want to FELT and heard, the El Whappo and Whappo Grande together would be ideal.
  4. My El Whappo is absolutely wonderful. At just under 100 pounds it's the best all in one cab I've heard for the low A (I tune down 1 step all the way across). It handles it flawlessly.
  5. Jean Baudin

Jean Baudin

Aug 27, 2003
    redwood city, ca
    Endorsing Artist: See Profile
    I've got the El Whappo and Whappo Grande - definitely adds a serious kick to the low end. I've tried almost all of the Accugroove cabs - Bill Dicken's Sig cabs as well. They are all clear and well-defined. Even the Tri110 handles the Low B well. The funny thing about the whappo grande is standing next to it you don't feel the power but if walk about 40 feet away you really feel/hear it. We have a guy 3 buildings down that complains about the bass whenever we have band practice - it's the only thing he can hear. :D

BTW, the gordo 18" was discontinued.
  6. wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    While I haven't personally played the Bill Dickens model, I've heard Bill himself play them. *Very impressive.*

I have had a chance to play through most other models. The head varied, but I used my F Bass BN6 on all. The brand of head used it noted.

El Whappo: Big, deep, and very clear. (GK head.)
    Whappo Jr.: A little warmer IMO than the El Whappo. I seriously want one. (Eden)
    Tri-112: Smaller, but still has depth. Didn't push nearly as much air. (Hughes & Kettner)
    Tri-110: Felt a little small to me. (Merlin)
    Tri-110 & Tri-112: Great combo! Clear, low and detailed. (Merlin)

I personally own an Acme Low B2 series II. It seems to be more power hungry than the Accugrooves. I did have a chance to A/B it against the El Whappo. (Apples & oranges though.) Definitely liked the Accugroove better. When I've got the money, I'll be selling it for a Whappo Jr.

Hope this helps. (For what its worth, I'd also give consideration to the Bergantinos.)
  7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have tried several of the Accugroove cabs, but not the El Whappo or the Whappo Grande. However, I will second the opinion that it seems like all of their cabs handle the Low B extremely well - even the Tri 208 and Mini Whappo that I tried.

Having been very impressed by them, I decided to piece together my own Accugroove rig (Whappo, Jr. & Tri 210L). I can't imagine needing more low end than I get out of this rig: