AccuGroove Jr. Whappo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassGreaser, Feb 2, 2003.

1. BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Has anyone played one of these cabs? I'm looking at replacing my EA CxL-110s with one cab....I'm also wondering if my Trace 300watt tube head will suppy enough power for one of these cabs? Any help......
  2. BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    can anyone give me any advise of this cab???
  3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    I heard an Accugroove at a show and it blew away an Agiular 112...don't remember the model though.

Dan at Luthier's Access Group would be able to tell you since it was his rig...
  4. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer, Builder
    accugroove is great for your stereo system, but not as good for bass :D

Might try the Bergantino 112 or the Epifani 112.

I think you will be much happier with sound.
  5. Dan Lenard

Dan Lenard Banned

Mar 8, 2002
    I cannot agree with Brian's suggestion that an
    AccuGroove El Whappo might be better for a stereo
    Is it merely coincidence that he is a dealer for Bergantino and Epifani but not Accugroove ?

Is it proper for businessees to use this forum to blatantly promote themselves ?
    Seriously, I don't know. Someone in the know, please tell me.
    Is there a moderator in the house ?
    Doesn't seem right to me.

I suggest to anyone who is interested in AccuGroove cabs or any other cab to give them a listen and decide for themselves.
  6. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Well, I may get fire for this, but I don't care...

IMO, there's definitely some inconsistencies with regards to the enforcement of some rules.;)
  7. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Dealer, Builder

He asked for opinions of those who have played the cab’s. I gave mine and fallowed it up with suggestion’s of cab’s to try as well. I made no mention to contact me. They can go anywhere and try the cab’s. I didn’t even refer to my self as a dealer.

I respect you totally, so why you jump on me about an opinion of a cabinet, I question.
    I don’t carry Accugroove because I don’t want to. I was asked if I was interested a year ago.

I’m sorry your thread got high jacked and let other’s that have no profit in the accugroves get back to responses.
  8. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Um...if I'm correct, Dan also sells Epifani. He brought up some valid points, IMO. You're the one who jumped all over HIS back!:mad:
  9. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Dealer, Builder
    I'm sorry, your probably right. I took it the wrong way.
  10. no you didn't.

I've always seen your posts as [fairly] unbiased :)and never pointed towards a sales pitch.

As far as the cabs, i cannot opine, I've never been in the same room as an accu.
  11. hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    I've had the chance to try them at Basscentral in Orlando fl.The voicing in these cabinets have a real fine articulation to them however,they are exspensive but as always you get what you pay for
  12. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Without getting into the SPAM issue, I can tell you that in my opinion, the EA's completely smoke the Epifanis. The call is closer between the EA's and the Bergantino (I have 2 EA's and one Berg). Haven't tried the whappos....
  13. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I haven't had the opportunity to play through any of the AccuGroove cabs but went to a seminar where they were featured. They appeared to be very well made and quite nice looking.

The cabs that were used were the single(?) 12's. They were being driven by an Eden WT-400 and sounded pretty darn good. The efficiency seems a bit on the shy side but the best way to tell is to try your amp with the speakers.

It's tough to really formulate an opinion without playing through a cab yourself and it's best to do a side-by-side comparison. So I'm not sure how they would pan out against EA, Berg's, Epi's or Aguilar's.

Really all of this boils down to a person's perception of tone and what they like. I would never expect anyone to like the cabs that make me happy. And just the same I sure would be surprised if several didn't like my cabs...amps...basses.

I don't really think that Brian did anything really wrong here. We all know that Brian is a dealer and where he's coming from. He didn't make any glaringly bad comments about AccuGroove cabs. In fact many might like the idea that he says that they would work well for a stereo. This would lead me to think of the AccuGrooves as being very accurate.

I would think that if Brian had said that such and such speaker is garbage, falls apart or anything that we can't confirm or unwarrented then there would be issues.

The Pro roster for the AccuGrooves is really impressive and I think that several more Pro's may be hooking up with AccuGroove. Most of these guys at that level can pretty much play anything they want so to go to AccuGroove means something.
  14. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    Getting back to the original poster's question I'd like to ask why he's looking to replace his EA CxL-110s ? The way it was worded suggest it's simply a matter of wanting one single cab as opposed to two.

I for one think I need more information from the original poster as to why he's looking for alternate cab suggestions.

What are you looking to get that you aren't getting from the EA's woudl be a good place to start.

(Dude...who doesn't represent ANY cab manufacturers and will die with his Ampeg B-100R)
  15. BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Well...I'm looking for more bottom. I REALLY like the flat tone of the EA's. But the design of the Accu Grooves are very interesting. I was thinking about selling my EA 110's and getting two EA 112s.....
  16. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000

What I recommend since I see you live in San Diego is to spend an afternoon over at Bass Alone who carries a full range of high end amplification. Call John and ask if it would be ok for you to bring your amp head and spend a few hours trying out different cabs for yourself with your amp. In the end YOU are the one who must be happy with the tone.

Look at what brands John carries (linked below) and he's right in your own backyard. I never really noticed the broad spectrum of amplification products that BA carries until I did some looking around for you. He's right there is San Diego brother!! There aren't many folks who are lucky enough to have a store that close that has such an assortment of goodies!! (Damn you got me thinking of cheating on my trusty Ampeg...LOL)

Bass Alone's Amp Page
  17. BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Thanks DUDE for all the info...yeah I was just looking around BA's site. I think i'll cruze over there tomorrow!!!
  18. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    You're welcome. I was really blown away when I dug around and saw how many different lines you would be able to A/B for yourself in person right in your own backyard at Bass Alone.

You aren't too far from Carlsbad are you? Check out this newer manufacturer in Carlsbad. I saw them at NAMM but since they were located between AG & Berggie it was hard to hear anything over all the excessive whackita thwackita going on on 7 string basses through $2,000+ cabs.

Anyway these guys are newer I believe and their line looked pretty good at VERY reasonable prices. Might be worth checking them out as well since they're fairly local for you! They're not in the same league as the others mentioned but might be worth checking them out anyway!

Bassonound Website
  19. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    dood, chill out...

he was just joking anyways. besides, he qualified his statement with a smiley face. ;)
  20. chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    Mark Wright of AccuGroove was kind enough to let me try out a number of his cabinets early last year, in his demo room, with my rack rig and basses, and Mark's personal rig and basses as well. I was able to bring my Acme Low B-2s for a reference. I came away favorably impressed by the AccuGroove cabs.

Mark was also generous (or foolish) enough to lend me an early production Whappo Jr. for a weekend shortly thereafter. I took it up to Dude's place, along with my rack rig and Low B-2s. There were a number of other bassists and high end basses present, and we spent the afternoon plugging many of the basses into this rig. Dude may even remember this. ;)

Search the TalkBass archives for my various reports. I really liked the Whappo Jr.'s overall sound and the fact that it was a fair bit more efficient than the Acmes. The Low B-2s offer more low bass support, though, and they're easier to lug around.

I haven't had a chance to try out the other brands mentioned in this thread, so I won't compare the Whappo Jr. to them.

And for the record, I have no connection to any manufacturer mentioned in this thread, except as a happy customer of Acme.