1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Accugroove NAMM 2007 Sneak Peek....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BigMikeW, Dec 18, 2006.

1. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    Ok maybe not a sneak peek BUT I do know that Accugroove will be showing their new powered cabs at NAMM. At least the protos will be at NAMM (the smaller cabs) with the rest following by April I believe.

I was going to be at NAMM but will be out of town on music related business.

Here is what I can tell you... (please Mark don't kill me :bag: )

* 500 watts @ 8ohms...
    * 1,000 watts @ 4ohms...
    * NO DSP (I don't think it is needed)
    * NOT THE BERG POWER SECTION!
    * Internally mounted
    * Controls (presumably only output volume) on rear panel
    * Only a couple lbs. Tiny unit. Amazing.
    * About 20 percent less* than a similar Bergantino IP cab. (*street price) IE: Tri112 compared to IP112, Whappo Jr. compared to an IP212 or IP310. If I am correct, all cabs will be available in a powered version.

I think that covers it.

I am excited. I am not looking at poweramps anymore until I hear them. I think there may be a powered Tri115L (and an extension Tri115L) and a powered El Whappo in my future. :D :bassist:

And before some accuse or alledg, NO I don't work for Accugroove. I just dig their stuff.

2. JansenW

JansenW

Nov 14, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
    Should sound great! Will there be different amps (power ratting) for different cabs?

Can't wait to check them out.

3. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Mike, Not to derail but do you know if Eden will be showing theirs? They are rummored to be comming out with a line of Neo. DSP powered cabs with removable, interchangeble powered modules.

4. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    NorCal
    Wow. We're getting into the star trek era of bass amplification!:eek: :p

5. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    NorCal
    I hate Accugroove for this lol. I love the huge nature of the AG cabs, so the lightness and the included power might sway me from my bergs....maybe.

6. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Same poweramp for each cab from what I know. If it is an 8 ohm cab then it will yield you 500 watts. Add another 8 ohm cab to that and you are now drawing 1,000 watts. 4 ohm cabs would obviously draw the full 1,000 watts.

Not that I am aware of.

7. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Also, they will be cheaper "street price".

List price will be about (or slightly under) Bergantinos IP series prices BUT Jim doesn't discount them at all. You can easily get 15% - 20% off an Accugroove through one of their dealers.

So an IP212 is $2,399 (that is the price period) where a powered Whappo Jr. might list for $2,399 BUT sell for about $1,920 or so.

An IP112 is $1,899. A Powered Tri112L might list for $1,899 (probably less though) and sell for like $1,520.

That's a good chunk of change.

Pure, clean, uncolored power into an AG cab is exactly what I want.

8. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Unusual that the power amp would deliver twice at 4 ohms what it does at 8 ohms, unless measured at a different spec.

9. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    NorCal
    That's mighty nice too! It only makes my IP212/310/Ex112 stack decision harder though....which saddens me:(

10. They will also sound about 20% less delightful than the Bergs.:D

:bag:

11. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    The IP series are that way too. Digital amps man. I don't know.

12. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX

You are a bad man. I was this close to committing on an IP112/Ht112 set up, now this comes along. Crap.

13. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    Aren't we just going back to combos without preamps?

14. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Combos with lighter power sections for the amount of power they can consistently deliver, and more smarts, however.

15. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    Marks a super nice guy, I look forward to checking them out at NAMM.

16. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    I can see that point of view. however, for me to be able use a pre or say a pod xt live board with in ears at some gigs and then simply add a huge rig behind it is very appealing.

also, as was mentioned, find me a combo amp that can kill an ampeg svt cab setup at a lightweight.

with the powered el whappo cab I would have 1,000 watts into a killer cab at abot 80 lbs. an svt cab alone is 165 lbs.

17. Eden NEO cabs??!?! Hell yes! :hyper: I hope they do release a lightweight line.

18. steveb98

steveb98 [acct disabled - multiple aliases]

Mar 15, 2006
    Venice, CA
    What I would like to see in the evolution is a bass with a pre-amp strong enough to drive a powered cab. Either that or a powered cab that would have a simple direct input that would boost the bass output enough to drive power amp. So my setup would be bass, cable, powered speaker.

19. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    There is nothing technically preventing that from happening other than the size and weight of the batteries needed to make it through a single night of playing. I think that's the only thing that has stopped that level of onboard pre from being installed thus far, and the new lightweight amp tech doesn't change that requirement unfortunately.

20. Mark Reccord

Mark Reccord Supporting Member

No such thing. ;)

All power amplifiers are analog, but some are more analog than others.

And the class of amp has nothing to do with it anyway. There is no real amplifier that will actually deliver 2x power into 4 Ohms than it will at 8 Ohms at the same THD. A lot of the time manufacturers will underspec the 8 Ohm rating so that they have the nice 2x power spec at 4. So while an amp is rated for, say, 500W@8 Ohms at 1% THD, it could probably actually do 525W at that THD. Of course, some manufacturers just make up their specs... :D