Accugroove Settings

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jacove, Jul 20, 2005.

1. jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Hi There,

I've heard people say that Accugroove cabs easily can be EQ'ed into sounding like different types of "colored" cabs like SWR, AMPEG, Eden and so on. I'm running an El Whappo with a Thunderfunk and the sound is REALLY BIG TIME. How do you guys EQ your amp to get the trademark sound of the "colored" cabs....
  2. I haven't attempted to clone any particular brand. I just like the sound of my basses and eq from the bass mostly. I've found myself cutting back some on the bass tone control of my amps and adding bass tone on my instrument if needed.
  3. jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    I agree Big String, I pretty much run it flat also, but it would be fun to hear how people can get trademark sounds through the Accugroove, maybe someone out there knows which frequencies you need to boost/cut....Maybe Mark will chime in... :bassist:
  4. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    I get a pretty traditional sound by bumping the lo and lo-mid up a bit and taking off some of the really high end.

However, like Big String, unless I'm going for a classic sound, I keep everything close to flat and EQ it from the bass only. I love the Accugroove because it lets me hear what my basses really sound like.
  5. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    this is why i bought my accugroove aswell. i play 2 F basses, and i've never heard them sound better through any other cabinet.

now, lol i'm just in the hunt to find a used whappo, or a whappo junior
    to add to my tri210l

6. Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Wait till you hear your F bass with a Jr... :hyper: I just love it with my BN6 :eek:
  7. Making an Accugroove sound like, using your example, an SWR cab is no more likely that getting an SWR cab to sound like an Accugroove. Just because an Accugroove cabinet has a somewhat more 'flat' response doesn't mean it's magic or easier to EQ or somehow 'better' than other cabs. If a cab has a peak in the upper mids, it's just as easy with a good amp and EQ to get that cab to be 'more flat' as it is to get a somewhat more 'flat' cab to have an upper mid peak :meh: This whole thing of 'hear the true sound of your bass' with these more 'flat' cabs makes me a little crazy... what is 'the true sound of your bass'... is it the acoustic sound... is it the sound with the bass plugged in and the preamp turned off... is it the sound of the bass with the preamp turned off but through a certain amp with a given set of strings... :meh: :meh:

Continuing my rant (sorry... we all have pet peeves :D ), the EA line, the Accugroove line, and the Acme line all claim to be 'flat' and to 'let the true sound of your instrument' come through. I've owned multiple version of two of these three lines of cabs and played through the other on a number of occasions... I've A/B'd these lines of cabs (although only two at a time), and they all sound VERY DIFFERENT with the same bass and the same amp at the same settings... how can this be if they are all 'flat'!!!! How can an older EA 'flat' cab sound totally different from a new EA 'flat' cab.... jeesh.

Anyway... these cabs are all great pieces of gear if you like their sound, but they all have just as specific of a sound as SWR, Eden, or anything else. Even if they have a flatter frequency curve... that's a specific sound that may be good or bad given the situation, and definately does not make them easier to EQ to get a good sound or to 'truly hear the sound of your bass'.

Whew... Ok... I feel better now. No offense to people that like these 'flat' cabs... but I hope other TBers do not interpret 'flat' as 'better sounding' or somehow 'superior' to other cabs that might have a different EQ curve.
  8. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    I respectfully disagree. If the frequency curve is flatter then the cab will respond more linearly to EQ. I agree that all the so-called flat cabs have their own sound but their sounds are much less distinctive than the sounds produced by cabs with a less subtle house curve.

What is the sound of your bass? What you hear when plugged straight into the desk and listening back through the big monitors in a top notch recording studio control room.

9. I know I went a little over the top :D , and I understand what you are saying... but the idea of twisting a few knobs and making one of these 'magic' cabs sound like anything seemed to be very misleading. Also, if you do actually like a particular sound (like a very nice upper mid bump to push you through the mix in a live situation), it's usually better to find a rig with that sound built in, rather than try to EQ to get it there...
  10. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd

To me, the responsiveness to EQ is about being able to tweak knobs on my bass and radically change my sound, not about being able to emulate other cabs.

Whenever I've played through other rigs I've noticed how much more I have to turn the onboard EQ to get as big a change - especially with the bass knob, which turns my Warwick/SWR/QSC/Acme rig from punch city to dub heaven. :D

11. Ken... I'm trying to make some sense out of this, so here's a well thought out post from your past coming back to haunt you...

Those are the types of factual comments that I find easy to repect. Good post!

We can agree on this.

Dead? Did you mean that the high end is not accentuated... you know, like the ones that you gravitate towards?

Okay, so I think I've made my point. At the risk of seeming like I'm picking on you (which is honestly not intended BTW), it seemed prudent to point out that not everyone is looking for an accentuated high end in their cabinets. While I do not personally like some of the cabinets you mention, I do not "hate" them, nor do I spend my time hanging around those threads trying to singlehandedly convince those folks that they're wrong or that their opinion is less valid than mine.

So, having said all that, I will point out that personally I like a cabinet to be as flat as possible; just like DI into the console. That's my frame of reference and (to me at least) provides the easiest way to tweak my sound in any setting, just like in the studio, without needing to compensate for something that is overly characteristic. Yes, I've been known to show up at gigs with a B&K real-time spectrum analyzer and a white or pink noise generator. If I want an accentuated high end I can simply change my strings.

Peace. :bag:
  12. Good points all around :) In weak defense... I was more reacting to the original post.... get one of these 'magic' cabs and tweak a few knobs and you have everything. I think I probably have too much free time!!!! :oops:
  13. Sorry about that. No defense needed. The line between fact and opinion gets blurry sometimes. Anyhow, I may disagree with you on this point or that but will still respect your opinion in the morning. :)
  14. I love this site! I'm such a fanatic about all this stuff (and I actually focus on my playing also!!!!), that I get carried away sometimes. Thanks for reeling me back in :D

Plus... I see that David Funk is active on the site... if I'm not nice, he won't send me my second Thunderfunk :hyper:
  15. el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    Well they can sound different if frequency response is not the only factor that determines the perceived sound. I don't profess to be any kind of expert in this area but I'm sure there's more to it than that, things like impulse response, off axis performance and a whole bunch of other stuff. I don't think that all the parameters required to describe audio performance objectively (let alone sound percieved by the decidedly non-linear human ear) have even been discovered/defined yet. I'm sure that there's some hifi guru expertise lurking out there that can set us straight.... I'm pretty firmly in the guitarist camp at this point, I see my amp/cab as the other half of my instrument and want it to colour the sound. A 'good' bass rig is much more musical (to my ear) than a pa.
  16. Thunderfunk

Mar 27, 2004
    McHenry, IL
    OK, so let me stick my big-toe in hear (sic).

To clarify, three things here.

First, If you lightly hold a neck suspended by the tuning head and give it a rap with your knuckle, you'll hear the "sound" of the neck. Of course, this isn't meant to be a neck through or have strings attached. Necks (and basses) do have an unamplified tone of their own.

Second, if you've heard a Meyer system you'll know what I mean by "invisible." The perfect speaker being a sphere, Meyer and Accugroove just seem to put the sound into the air transparently. They don't sound like a speaker "o-ver by 'dere" (as Chicagoans say). :)

Third, I was at an outdoor show at Union Station (?) in St. Louis where a steel player was using one of my Thunderfunk tube heads. I went back about 400 feet and the only thing I could still hear was the steel. Everything else from the drums to the vocals was mushed together. I call this cohesion, focus, or the ability to rise out of the mix. It's more than just upper mid-range punch or clarity. I can't tell you were it comes from. My tube amps have a lot of it. My bass amps have some of it.

So when I say you can hear the sound of your bass, I mean the sound of the wood, transparently coupled into the air, with focus.

Now Ken will say I shouldn't be writing long posts, but should be building his new amp. Sorry. :D
  17. Sometimes it's hard to find the correct words, isn't it? I found the difference between Acme and AccuGroove speakers difficult to describe. Despite the fact that both sound very similar up close, the AccuGrooves seemed have far better "projection" and take that sound right out into the room. Examining the physics involved, your description fits much better because it's more than just the ability to project. Your comment on the elusive "ability to rise out of the mix" fit both AccuGroove and Meyer very well.
  18. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Interesting posts to say the least! I'll have to say that you Accugroove fanatics have finally gotten the best of me! I've read so much about the awesome sound of the Accugroove cabinets that I finally broke down and ordered an El Whappo Jr. today. I've been somewhat disapointed with the few boutique bass cabinets that I've owned and hope that this experience won't prove to be more of the same. It's not that they didn't sound good but more that they cost significantly more and IMO didn't really sound significantly better. I do really like the idea of having a cabinet that can be run at either 4 or 8 ohms though and I've just got a feeling that maybe the Accugroove cabinets will actually live up to all the hype. Time will tell! ;)
  19. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    I will buy you a beverage of your choice next time you're in MD-VA-DE-PA if AFTER BREAK-IN you don't like the sound of your Whappo, Jr.
  20. Hello and look forward to hearing your impressions of the new cab. A quick question for anyone familiar with the Accugroove line... the Accuswitch thing is very interesting... does anyone know how it works.... is the cab wired to be 4ohms and then they 'electronically' increase the resistance to 8ohms? Just curious... also, does it at all change the sound of the cab (other than the result of the different wattage)... i.e., if the signal is put through additional circuitry to change the ohmage... is there a drop-off of treble response or anything like that? Thanks.