1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

AccuGroove & TecAmp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by melodiaopus, Jul 23, 2012.

1. melodiaopus

melodiaopus Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2007
    Austin, TX
    I'm looking to upgrade my rig with a lighter rig. I currently have a TecAmp Puma 1000 running through a Bergantino HT322 cab. I'm looking for either a pair of 112's or a light 2x12 cab. I know that TecAmp cabs are suppose to be the bees knees, but I would like to know about how they compare to say the Bill Dicken's 2x12 or the 112L cabs. I'm just looking for something light weight with a lot of power. I like the clean and punchy sound of the Puma, but I'm just really not feeling the HT322 anymore. I need something, any other recommendations would be awesome.

-Adam

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Unless you have a line on used Accugrooves, you're going to have a tough time getting one...

3. melodiaopus

Feb 9, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Bass Central has a few. They have a Bill Dickens 2x12 and some Tri 112L. Not sure what they are selling them for, yet. Why would it be hard, are they no longer making cabinents anymore?

-Adam

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Nope. Mark has stopped building.

5. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    ministack.

6. melodiaopus

Feb 9, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Are those a pair of 112?

7. nostatic

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Yup - XS112. I love the cabinet. 22lbs, very punchy. I've played gigs with just one cab (and the Puma 500 head). The stack is stupid-loud. The only "downsides" are three position switch for the tweeter (as opposed to the 6 position on the bigger cabs) and the top handle which can be a clearance issue for some heads. I'm fine with the 3-position switch as I'm able to get a tone I like (either low or high depending on the room) and the handle isn't a big deal to me. Carrying is fine as the cab isn't too deep (13.8"). It also has a cool tilt feature with a stow-away bar

xs4.

8. melodiaopus

Feb 9, 2007
    Austin, TX
    That's a pretty nice feature. If I was made of money I would consider buying the S-212 as my larger venue gigs and the Puma 500 with a XL-112 for smaller type gigs. Would say that the stacked XL-112 is louder than your S-212?

9. nostatic

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    I didn't have the pair to directly compare to the S212, but I have an M212 coming this week. In talking with Glenn, the single cab will have a bit more girth than the pair of small cabs (especially the M212). Makes sense as it is a few inches deeper. Truth be told I think the pair of XS112s will cover anything I need but I figured I'd try the single 212 as I haven't run that config before.

10. melodiaopus

Feb 9, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Do you know the difference between the M, L, S series of the TecAmp models for the 212?

11. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Jul 7, 2010
    Florida
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6, Hipshot, GHS Strings, Somnium Guitars
    I was endorsed with Accugroove and they are AWSOME! BUT!!!! If you want a very clear and true reproduction of your bass and head then that IS the cab for you. Hope you have a great head and bass. Eitherwise pair up your head with the same make of cabs. (They're designed for it) Just a thought. Good Luck with your choice. (had a chance to go with Techamp endorsement too. Great stuff) Can't go wrong eitherway.

12. melodiaopus

Feb 9, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Cool, thank for the input. I currently run a Puma 1000 with my Warwick Thumb Bolt-On (which I've had for over 10 years). I love the sound it belts out through my HT322, but I'm looking for something a little cleaner and not so much of a spine smasher. I thought the AccuGroove and TecAmp stuff would be worth checking out. My friend has been loaning me his HT322 for years now. I haven't bought a cabinent since my UL-310 S2, which was about 6 years ago.

13. melodiaopus

Feb 9, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Once Glenn from Austin Bass Traders get in the TecAmp cabs I'm going to break down and get the M-212 cab. Since AccuGroove is damn near impossible to get. Especially the Tri112's and or the Bill Dicken's 212. Plus I think TecAmp is the perfect weight to haul around. Hopefully later I can pick up a 112 for smaller gigs. I would like to get the Puma 300 for smaller jazz gigs and solo loop gigs.

Looking at also the Baer ML-112 as well.

14. nostatic

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Glenn should be able to drop-ship whatever you want (assuming the cab is in the US warehouse). Wrt heads, I've thought about the 300 as well. The 500 is plenty loud - not sure I'll ever use the extra headroom on the a 900. I'm not sure how much cheaper the 300 is though...maybe worth the money to just get the 500 to cover anything.

15. DonovanBankhead

DonovanBankhead Banned Commercial User

Aug 25, 2001
    Springfield, MO
    Owner - FretSpot.com; Vice President - Springfield Music
    Generally the 500 is only $100 more than the 300 - so at that price, I'd go for the extra power...

M series cabs are front ported - which makes them a bit wider. S series cabs are rear ported, which makes them taller - which is better for me since I play on small stages and I'm a big guy! :D

16. nostatic

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Per the specs, the S212 and M212 are the same height and depth - the M is 4.5" wider. The 210 cabs are shorter than the 212s though, and actually a pair of XS212s is even taller by a few inches (though they are shallower cabs so you're losing overall cab volumet). It doesn't specify the porting but I would assume the bigger volume would result in a different tuning frequency as well as a bit more beef between the two.

If it is only $100 difference, I would agree that the 500 head is the way to go vs the 300.

17. melodiaopus

Feb 9, 2007
    Austin, TX
    I think I went a bit over kill when I bought the Puma 1000, I probably would have been satisfied with the 900. I still really enjoy that large headroom, even though I won't ever use that much of it. I think it would be nice to have a smaller rig for myself, that way I'm not lugging around a 1000 watt head with a 212 cab to a small jazz venue. I think the Puma 500 with either a 112 or a 210 cab would suffice just about any small venue.

18. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    I think I said this before. Glasstone LIL G, 31lbs 2x12 1200watts rms around $749.00. I'm getting one as soon as I can se how to raise the cash. Tell em Walt sent ya!!!

19. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Small, Medium, Large... same drivers, just different box sizes and tuning. IMO, the 'M' is the sweet spot in that line-up. I loved the original S212, but was less impressed with the revised model. The M212 sounds like a bit 'bigger' version of the original S212.... punchy, articulate, very lightweight. Nice box.

The tweeter/crossover is very cool in the S/M/L lines.... change in level and crossover point, resulting in a lot of tonal options. The 6 position switch is inside one of the cup handles on the side of the cab.... very protected. Nice design (assuming they haven't changed it... been a while since I really checked these out).

20. nostatic

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    The M212 kills. Flat out kills. The pair of XS112s is plenty loud and punchy but doesn't have quite the same low extension.