Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Accugroove TEST #1 - Results

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BigMikeW, Aug 20, 2005.

1. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    Well, I just got back from a fairly long Preamp/Amp, Cab testing.

Amps/Preamp Tested:

1.) Aguilar DB750
    2.) Aguilar DB659/Eden WT-1000 Poweramp
    3.) Eden Navigator/WT-1000 Poweramp

Cabs:

1.) Accugroove El Whappo
    2.) Two Eden D410XLT's
    3.) One Eden D410XLT's
    4.) Eden D610XLT
    5.) Aguilar 410
    6.) Aguilar 412

This was a lot of fun and very cool. I am bot going to make this long because I have more to test. The test were all done with a Sadowsky Five String Jazz Bass both set flat and with the Bass and Treble boosted to about 4.

DB750 Tests:

a.) Accugroove El Whappo. Great Sound right off the bat. Thick, Rich, Punchy, Warm and Very Full. Really working the B string was nice. Very tight and articulate. Even after switching the Deep Switch the bottom wasn't boomy at all. Remained tight and never farted out even at high volume levels. Mids were nice with the DB750 and the high's were very present BUT not overly crisp and harsh.

b.)Two Eden D410XLT's. This was very nice. Low's were pretty damn nice. Close to the Accugroove but not as clean and precise. This setup is definitely a lot louder than the Accugroove on its own. Lots of mids which are very nice but I am also use to the Eden sound.

c.) One Eden D410XLT. Similar to the two Eden 410's BUT the lows were considerably less. They lows on the Eden cabs are aggressive and when adding the Deep Switch the speakers farted a good bit.

d.) Eden 610XLT. THis cab was VERY nice. Better lows than the single 410, similar to the dual 410's and getting closer to the Accugroove. This cab matched up well volume wise with the El Whappo. At tis poitn this was a close second to the El Whappo.

e.) Aguilar 410 - Slightly better lows than the singel Eden 410 but once it got turned up to decent levels the lows were lacking and the Deep Switch at high volumes made the speakers fart out.

f.) Aggie 412. Mid's were nice and the highs were nice but the lows were lacking. This cab did not handle the B string the way I would want it to. The Bstring gave the cab problems. At higher levels the speakers farted out and adding the Deep Switch got scary. Overall I didn't like the cab.

----------

Navigator/WT-1000 rig Tests:

a.) Accugroove El Whappo. Very similar to the DB750. VERY NICE! The DB750 was warmer BUT I thought the Eden was more defined and articulate while being warm in its own right.

b.)Two Eden D410XLT's. Similar results again. This rig was MUCH louder thanthe DB750. Dangerous! LOL This is what I have used for the last couple years but it is a heavy set of cab to carry around.

c.) One Eden D410XLT. Better lows than with the DB750. Mids and highs were very nice.

d.) Eden 610XLT. WOW! Very nice again. About the same volume levels as the El Whappo. Great lows, mids and highs all the way through the spectrum. But still not as deep as the El Whappo. Definitely a low mid bump but a nice one.

e.) Aguilar 410 - Very similar to the single Eden 410

f.) Aggie 412. Overall it was good but just not close to the El Whappo or the D610XLT (as a single cab option)

Cabs: All in all the El Whappo beat everything else with the Eden D610XLT a close second. The EW handle the lows better than any other cabinet though. Just really nice. Hard thing for me is that my price on the D610XLT is less than half of the EW price. That is tough to swallow.

Amps: While I really like the DB750, a lot, I just loved the Eden setup better. I found that it was almost as warm, more punchy and just more round and articulate.

I guess I am keeping my Eden Nav/WT setup. The question is the cab! LOL

I am going to test a Line6 Bass POD XT Live board into the El Whappo tomorrow. I have had great result with Line6 stuff and it'll be interesting. I am going to really trest the Acoustic 360, Eden, Ampeg and DB750 models.

The other cabs I want to test still are the Bergies, ACME and Schroeders. But that'll have to wait few weeks at the least.

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    nice little review, but the aggie 4x12 i used must have been eff'ed up, cause i've had nothing but killer experiences with those aggies. amazing big cabs.

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Am I seeing that right? Joker using the word amazing to describe a 12??? :D

-Mike

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    lol,

true true, i'm not a fan for my needs, but a great 12" loaded cab will still get longing looks from moi. :p

5. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    Curious to know if you have any experience with the XST line and can offer a comparison to the XLT.... There is an XST 410 for sale here locally. Though I am a Epifani convert, I have NEVER fallen out of love with the Eden sound.

I'm thinking about checking it out. Your thoughts??

6. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    I agree. I have the db750 and aguilar 412. Lack of lows is not how I would describe the 412. I run the rig with a modulus Q5, cranked too. Master at about 2-3:00 and a bit of bass boost as well. The lows are some of the best Ive tried and I own berg and epi cabs as well. YMMV I guess.

Good review though.

7. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    I'll jump in as well. I love, and am currently using, the El Whappo as my main cabinet. I am nothing but thrilled with that cab overall.

However, the GS412 is a huge sounding cabinet and I've never had any low-end deficiency with that box. I've always said that when I get an army or roadies to carry my gear on my next rock gig, I'm definitely using a DB750 and a GS412! Or two ala Chris Chaney. :bassist:

8. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.

The XST's are very nice too. They do not have the mid hump that the XLT's do. They are "flatter" (not flat) and have a little moe bottom end. Great cabs too. The XLT's, to me, just cut better.

9. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.

Let me try to clarify better. It had lows but it didn't handle them as well as the Whappo or the Eden 610's and dual 410's.

Maybe it was that particular cab but it farted outat louder volume and when I boosted the 40hz on the Sadowsky or when I empolyed the deep switch. I had played one in the past and it sounded good but I never got it up to gigging levels. Again, maybe this cab has a problem somewhere.

I too am liking 12's more and more so this was disappointing.

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    maybe the speakers just needed breaking in.

11. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.

That cab has been at the shop for a while now.

12. I just posted this on the Navigator thread but seems more appropriate here.

My Lord... there is just so much fantastic bass gear out there.... just amazing....
    I used my Aggie DB750 for the second time last night through the EL Whappo... Still just blown away, I am. It's limited on tweaking compared to a Nav for sure, but my Sadowsky VJ4 and EW was amazing again. This room was like playing in a fish bowl.. big echo...all glass .. yikes for sure. Still I just kept the gain at 9:00 and master on around 10:00 upped the middle to around 1:00 and it did a great job.. the throw was amazing at such low volume. My very picky keyboard man said ... " man that rig sounds really really good." Sorry for de-railing a bit. Just kinda bustin' some grins here.

Adding to this. Last week I did an outside gig my first with the DB750/EW combination. It was STELLAR. The only cabs that I'm jonesing to try is the TRI210L and a NV215. The 750 is just plug/play/sound great. The EW just makes that happen in spades.

13. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Interesting results! My own take on this gear (to the extent that I have tried these combinations) seem very similar.

But what happend to the DB 659... :D

14. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.

HOLY CRAP! LOL I completely forgot to put in anything about the DB659. The good is that it can be short. Ready?

The DB659/WT-1000 setup actually sounded identical to the DB750 but with more power and thump.

As of right, not having tested the other cabs I want to, I am leaning toward the Accugroove cab. It will be tough deciding between the DB659 and the Navigator. Then again, why choose? Maybe I will get both and run an A/B switch? Hmmm?

15. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    Mike,
    Get the Whappo and call it a day. You will not be disappointed. Even if it ends up costing you a few more dollars it will be well worth it.

Happy A/B'ing!
    Joel

16. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Not a bad idea!

17. Being that I have the same Navigator Preamp/Poweramp setup this was very valuable.
    Thanks
    Ricardo