Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Accugroove TRI 112

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by captaind, Feb 14, 2006.

1. captaind

captaind

Apr 9, 2005
    Hi,

Was wondering if anyone was using or are familar with
    Accugroove cabs. More precisely, the TRI 112. Been thinking seriously about purchasing one.

Compared to other cabs in its class is this the cats meow? I noticed its more expensive than other cabs but reading the specs. on their web site it sounds inticing. So, are these cabs worth the money?

I will be using a SR-5 with a Genz Benz 600 amp at low to moderate volume levels. Is this cab worth the extra bucks are should i keep on searching?

Thank You

2. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    All I can tell you is my experience. I use mine regularly for rehearsal as well as small/low volume gigs, although I have also used it in an orchestral setting.

It has nice articulation as well as great bottom. I wouldn't use it alone in an extremely high volume rock and roll setting, but for almost any other application, I love it. I like the top end, but those who need a whole lot of hi-end (slappers or solo type fusion jazz guys), might find it a little too controlled in its treble. I would give it an "A" and it is definitely one of the best cabs I have ever played through.

3. FunkyLemz

FunkyLemz

Oct 17, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Agreed - If your a rocker, this cab is not for you.

4. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    The Tri-112L has been my reference cabinet for months. If you can handle the tonal truth, this cabinet is for you. Seriously, it is an ear-opening experience hearing your basses through cabinets of this calibre. I mainly play praise and worship music with fingers & flatwounds. I love the nice woody mids, yum! I bought new and haven't had speaker GAS since. If you need higher SPL's, I highly recommend the Whappo Jr.
    Ken

5. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    I've been using an AccuGroove Tri-112L since September '04, together with an Eden WT-800 head. It is definetly a fantastic sounding speaker. It has a very even and accurate response, it sounds equally sweet all across the entire register (and I play 7 and 6 string basses). I have however experienced it to be slightly inadequate on its own in loud rock contexts. (Maybe I should get another one.... )

6. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    To be a little more specific in light of later posts, it's not that the tone of the 112 is a problem for loud rock, it's just the volume. I use a Whappo, Jr. for my harder rock projects, and it works great. Perhaps 2 112s would be similar, although it should be noted that the two 12" speakers in the Jr. are not identical to each other, so two 112s wouldn't sound exactly like the Jr. (Not that there's some requirement to sound exactly like the Jr.)

7. FunkyLemz

FunkyLemz

Oct 17, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA

I guess I play pretty loud because I think even the Jr. at times can be limiting.:bassist: