Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Accugroove Tri-112

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GreyBeard, Apr 25, 2003.

1. Has anybody tried this cab. How does it compare to say an Acme B-2 or other hi-fi 2x10 / 1x12 cab?

2. I tried one down at Bassalone...these are the bast cabs on the market right now...I went with tri 10's for portability factors.

3. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    I'm going to be trying one of these cabs on my gig this Saturday night, along with a Bill Dickens Signature Subwoofer. I'm a regular Acme Low B-2 user, so look for a report Sunday or Monday.

At the moment, my dream rig would be a Tri 110 or 112 plus a Gordo. I'm also concerned about portability. But there weren't any Gordos handy, so I'll "make do" with the Bill's Signature Sub. :D

Mark Wright (Whappo Grande) is very generous (or brave, or foolish!) to lend me these cabs. I must say I'm grateful to have this opportunity to test such top-notch gear, being a lowly bar-band bassist.

4. He! We gotta stick together. Us LBBB's

5. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    Mark Wright just dropped off a Tri 112 for the weekend - no subs, unfortunately.

Or fortunately. Mark and I played my gear through the Tri 112 in combination with one of my Acme Low B-2s. The pairing works surprisingly well! The Acme is stronger in the low bass, but the Tri 112 has a better-sounding and stronger mid-bass, mid, and high end. Each speaker's strengths complement the other's weaknesses. Together, they sound pretty darned good!

I had been thinking of selling off some gear to afford a Tri 112 and a Gordo sub, but the Acme/Accugroove combination works well enough that I might put off getting a subwoofer until later.

This was at living room volume levels, though, and as we all know, things sound different at performance volumes. I'll have more to report after tonight's gig.

Oh, and I should mention that Mark is a pretty good player!

Muchas gracias, Whappo Grande! :D

6. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    Eager to hear your report, Charles. Hurry home :D . I've been using a pair of B2s for the kinder, gentler gigs. Is the Tri 112 not much lot louder than a single B2?

7. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I'm back from last night's gig, and from an audition for another band today. I'm not quite sure about this cab.

Oh, it sounds good enough. The problem is that it exposes the other deficiencies in my rig. :( If I owned a Tri 112, I'd have to try a variety of strings and/or pickups all over again, work on my technique (heaven forfend! :eek: ), audition different basses, or at least play with the tone controls instead of leaving them flat.

The Acme sound is bottom-heavy, smooth... and a little dull. The AccuGroove Tri 112 sound is anything but dull - it's very lively and punchy. It's also a little light on the low end compared to the Acme. Below about a B on the A string, I really notice the difference. Together, though, they produce a very satisfying rumble. :D

During the gig, using the Tri 112 and the Low B-2 together, it was hard to tell what was going out to the crowd - firstly because I was about 1 foot away from the rig on the tiny stage; secondly because the g**t*rist next to me played through a Marshall cab that has a LOT of bottom to it, so he was constantly stepping on my tone. What I could hear sounded really good though. Some audience members complained the bass was occasionally too loud - a good sign IMHO!

I can't answer the question about how loud they get, because our band plays at a relatively low volume because the drummer plays an electronic kit. I can say this: The Tri 112 is an 8 ohm cab, my Low B-2s are 4 ohms, meaning my Acmes extract more power from the amp. But with the Tri's 4 dB efficiency advantage, and differences in tonal response, the Tri seems slightly louder at the same volume settings.

During the audition today, in a garage with a different head but the same cabs, I was hearing overtones I hadn't heard from the Acme alone. And not all of them were pleasant. It could have been the very live room, or it could have been fatigue.

I just now fired up this rig in my music room, and the raspy overtones aren't there. Chalk it up to the room, I guess.

One other difference from the Low B-2 is that the Tri 112 is more cube-shaped and a little heavier, so it's not quite as convenient to lug as the Low B-2.

I may have a few more days to play with this cab before Mark makes me give it back. I hope to have more to report soon.

8. I'm one of those cats who uses BIG gear (and AccuGroove El Whappo and a Whappo Grande), but I got to play through the whole range of Mark Wright's amazing gear at NAMM this past January.

Mark and his partner David Innis were incredibly cool (it was my first time meeting 'em in person) and I was just amazed by the flexibility of thespeakers. over three days I tried every speaker alone and in different combinations.

I love my monsters, but I've been thinking about getting something smaller and more portable for more intimate gigs than our club throw down sessions. right now the Tri112 and a Gordo or a pair of Tri112's are at the top of the list!

:D

from the low end,

Stew

9. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Manager: AccuGroove Speakers
    "Oh, it sounds good enough. The problem is that it exposes the other deficiencies in my rig. If I owned a Tri 112, I'd have to try a variety of strings and/or pickups all over again, work on my technique (heaven forfend! ), audition different basses, or at least play with the tone controls instead of leaving them flat."

Most bass cabinets come with a narrow pre-shaped plug & play EQ. This is not a bad thing, but it can limit the ability of the cabinet to a one-tone, like it or leave it box. In other words, with most cabs you have a narrow range of tones you can dial in with your EQ.

We took the other direction, which is maximum flexibility. Because our cabs were engineered to have a huge tonal spectrum, simply adjust the EQ on your bass or amp. They will jump anywhere you want them to go; jazz, rock, grunge, country, blues, you name it.

The idea was to be able to take one cabinet to any type of gig & not wish you had brought something else. Most players don't play with their EQ set flat on the bass or amp & by simple tweaking; these boxes will take you where you want to go.

[​IMG]

10. I can back up everything Mark wrote: I've been using AccuGrooves since last year.

THEY'RE THE BEST!! :D

from the low end,

Stew

11. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Stew, I don't mean to try to corner you or anything, but are you an endorser? Did you pay full price for your rig. I mean, I certainly rave about what I love because I want to back it but I do it without an endorsement. I'm just curious. Again, I don't mean anything by this but I am just curious.

Thanks.

I am also interested in the tri 112's but I wouldn't spend that kind of money untill I had heard them. I'm very curious though.

Andy.

12. I endorse them only in the sense that I tell everyone who'll listen what great gear it is. I didn't get a deal on them in terms of a price break, but I got to meet and hang with the AccuGuys at NAMM and I know that they're in my corner to back up the gear if I should ever need them.

I've gone through TONS of speakers and amps, man, and I've *liked* a lot of it, but none of it has done for me and my sound than the AccuGrooves!

I rant because I care. for my money, there's nothing better anywhere!

from the low end,

Stew

ps - no offense taken! :)

13. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Thanks Stew.

14. any time, man! us cats from the Granite State got to look out for one another!

stay well, take it light, and keep it grooving!

from the low end,

Stew

15. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Just to back up Stew, I had a chance to listen to three of the Accugroove cabs a few weeks ago - the Whappo, Jr., Mini Whappo, and Tri 208 - and while I do not yet own one, I am hoping to in the not too distant future. These cabs sound amazing. I really didn't think bass cabs could be so clear, tight, even and neutral sounding. Yes, they cost more than other cabs, but how many other cabs are built in the same manner? Each driver is in its own "cabinet within a cabinet." You get both a tweeter and a midrange attenuator (which other cabs do, I know).

From my own listening experience, I can back up all the statements that you have read from Mark and others, and not only am I not endorsed by Accugroove (or anyone else, except perhaps my wife), I don't even own one of their cabs (yet!). So trust me on this one and give them a listen. Even if they are not within your budget just yet, it's fun to check out gear, and it's always a good motivator to have something to save for.:D

Later, Tom.

16. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I'd love to check them out but there just isn't a place to do so at the moment for me. The problem is that with such a high price tag, there are only so many dealers that will carry them. They are also a very specialized cab that only a certain number of people will be into. It really doesn't have a high market appeal. That said, I would LOVE to try these things.