1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Accugroove Tri 112L or Acme B1 pair

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by speyer, Jun 11, 2007.

1. speyer

speyer Supporting Member

Howdy. I was hoping someone who has owned/used both of these cabs could chime in here: Accu Tri112L vs Acme B1 pair.

I am looking for a new rig for small to medium sized gigs and occasional studio work. I will power the cab(s) with my Clarus sl (2nd gen?) @4 or 2 ohms - which has plenty of power for my current 2x12. My basses are 6 strings and a DB, which I use for all styles of music.

Bottom line: I am striving to get a FULL RANGE portable rig that will exploit the variety of tones from my INSTRUMENT, in an uncolored fashion.

Typically I'm not a fan of 10's, because I usually find there's a lack in low-mids so I may need some convincing when we are talkin' Acme;) just a thought.
    Thanks.

2. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Inactive

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    A Tri112L is an amazing stand-alone cab.
    Plenty of volume, booty, punch and transparent, as opposed to "flat".
    I love my Whappo Jr. because of this reason. I hear my bass and amp and that's it, just louder. :) Some people like a little or lot of coloration in their cab as a 3rd part of their sound, but I don't.

A Tri112L is a can't miss! :bassist:

3. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    No experience with using either one. Most people seem to report the Acme's liking lots of watts. I would be hesitant to use Acme cabs with a Focus much less a Clarus.

Played through an El Whappo once. Major low end on that cab. I had to cut the lows quite a bit to find "my tone". Of course, I was in an extremely boomy room also.

4. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Inactive

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    I had an E-Dub before getting my Jr., and I much prefer the Jr. Much more controlled and tight on the low end, but still retains the ability to put out as much booty as you could ask for in a cab. :)

Both together would be a nice little treat, methinks... ;)

5. speyer

speyer Supporting Member

So I hear! that's why I'm so interested. I have found lot's info in the tri 112, and I feel it suits my needs perfectly... aside from it's 1k sticker price.

Just can't shake the feeling that if I go with two boxes I'll be a little farther ahead with versatility. I am also very interested in hearing an Acme users opinion on these cabs side by side maybe even the B2.

Do these 10's really match up to 12's?

6. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Inactive

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    I know it's not exactly the same, but the guy I sold my Whappo to replaced his 2x 210 Acme setup with that one cab.
    Just all around better in most ways according to him, powering it with a DB750.

But any 2-cab config is going to be more flexible, just depends on if they have the sound and tone you want.

I don't believe there's anything on the market than can give me the sound I get my from Jr. so I don't even cab shop anymore, which makes me kinda happy! :)

But as far as head-to-head comp's go, I'm not sure if there's been tons done. Both camps don't really like each other, but there hasn't been much A/B'ing from what I remember if you search around. Mostly name-calling and closed threads! ;)

7. speyer

speyer Supporting Member

Rodger that! :eek:

I would consider going with 2 tri 112's in the long run, powered by my stewart 1.2/hbp1 head. Just get rid of my other cabs, buy one cab first... use my clarus, then buy the other later. I just like the idea of splitting the rig in half if need be. Gotta go portable.

As far as Acme goes... it's just hard to dig up info I guess. Hard to get a educated opinion you know :meh: And good luck test driving one... at least where I live right now.:help:

8. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Inactive

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    I can personally vouch for the 2x112L setup, which is in essence what my Jr. is, except you get one more 6" driver, and instead of 2 regular cones, I have one regular and then a woofer.

But how loud this thing gets with just one channel of my 800B, they handle power well but you don't have to crank it to make it sound good. If you like the sound of your amp, you're gonna love you some Accu's! :)

9. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    I can't see getting any reasonable volume out of any Acme cab(s) with a Clarus.

10. speyer

speyer Supporting Member

Funny... everyone thinks the clarus is a weak little thing. I own one and happened to know it's a powerful little box! Drives my 2x12 @ 4 ohms to it's limits no prob. Besides, I can use my Stewart if need be.

I know acme's are inefficient but were talkin a couple 10's here..no?!? I dunno... thats why I started this thread :smug:

11. atrapp

atrapp

Dec 4, 2006
    Portland, OR
    I drive my Low B2 with a thunderfunk 550... no problemo

12. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    You're talking about probably a 8 to 11dB difference in sensitivity between those two cabs (your 2x12 and whatever Acme) (with a 250W amp) -- that's got to be significant.

13. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Two Low-B1 cabs give a total sensitivity of 93dB and the Clarus will deliver 300W into a pair of 4 ohm cabs. One Tri-112L has claimed sensitivity of 100dB, in reality it's more like 97dB and the Clarus will deliver 120W into one 8 ohm cab. So at full power both rigs will put about ~117dB.

The Acmes will have significantly deeper and fuller bottom and clearer brighter treble. The AccuGroove will have more roundness and midrange punch.

Alex

14. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Inactive

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    ...and because the tweet on the Tri112L is silk-dome and more natural sounding, all you have to do is up your treble to get more bite (if you're into that whole "treble" thing anyways... ;)).

15. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Indeed - both the Acmes and AccuGroove cabs have silk-dome tweeters, the identical model in fact AFAIK. Likewise if you want more punch from the Acmes you can boost your mids to get a similar sound to the AccuGroove.

Alex

16. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Inactive

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX

I didn't know the Acmes had that option as well (better design IMHO). Still get that range w/out having to kill or remove the tweet altogether. Playing cabs w/ a regular compression one kills my ears nowadays.

17. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    The real problem with the typical Horn tweeter for me is that they always are more efficient and often running several dB hotter than the woofer even when at 12 o'clock, and in a two-way cab there's little output between where the woofer falls off in polar response and where the tweeter begins. That makes the tweeter stand out all the more.

In general, I find three-way designs more pleasing and flexible tonally.

18. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Inactive

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Good point. On my Basic Black 1x15 combo, it's got a regular, off, and -6db switch for the horn. I usually leave it off when just playing at home or on -6db when live or practicing with a band. Good feature that I think more cab makers are adding to their designs.

19. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    The latest Clarus (is that S2 or S3) is 250W @ 8ohm & 400W @ 4ohm.
    I was comparing the two B1 to his current 2x12 (& just guess-timating the sensitivity -- a highly scientific process :rolleyes: ).

20. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    A pair of Tri 12 L's would sound great IMHO. Having one myself they take EQ great. I am not convinced of the Polite highs of the accugrooves as some say. i use them and find them to be a fantastic choice. But you should try both as there is no one cabinet made for everybody. But Accugroove make some sweet sounding cabinets. Very clean and smooth across the tonal spectrum.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 27, 2021