Accugroove Tri-112L - what else compares?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sixontimber, Jun 29, 2004.

1. sixontimber

Aug 2, 2003

Okay - I know you're probably thinking "do a search" but my question is a bit more specific...

A tiny bit of background info:

Over two months ago I ordered an AccuGroove cab buy I'm yet to receive it - it would seem that a run of unfortunate occurrences have caused delay at AccuGroove's end. I sold my old rig about two months ago as I was expecting the cab to be on my doorstep shortly after that. Basically, for two months I have been borrowing/renting cabs for gigs. This hasn't been a problem so far, but I have a few very important gigs lined up for the third week of July and a recording session imminent for which I am unable to borrow (and unable to afford) a rig! In other words, I need my cab!

So - if there's still no news by the beginning of next week, I'm going to have to cancel my order, get my money back and buy another cab that's available here in the U.K.

My setup is - Overwater Six String -> Millennia TD-1 -> Bryston 3B-SST -> ???

Until I came across AccuGroove I had been looking at the Euphonic Audio CXL-112 and the Epifani T-112. There seemed some doubt as to whether these cabs could really cut it on their own, which is why I opted for the AccuGroove. I can't afford to spend any more than £650. Is there anything that compares to the Tri-112L as a one box solution? I know that I could get hold of an Epifani T-112 and a CXL-112 in the U.K. pretty quickly.

I've had my heart set on the AccuGroove - by all accounts is has the sound I'm looking for - I'm especially taken by the tweeters which I'd always wanted in a bass cab. Unfortunately I just can't keep on hanging on for it indefinitely! :crying: :bawl:

Hope you can help!

2. You may want to also consider the Bergantino HT 112 (which has a tweeter) it is loud, clear as a bell and punchy on its own or with the EX 112 if you want an extension cab....not sure about pricing or availablility on your side of the pond though...check with Jim directly (if you call he will usually answer himself or return your call personally) or check out the website....
    it smokes the cabs you mentioned (though the AccuGroove is a different vibe as I'll mention) and I have tried them all....The Epi and the CXL are completely outclassed by the HT 112....I've had them both!...the AccuGroove is a different vibe though because of the components...but I have tried it and I do dig it...a very Hi-Fi sounding sweet rig! it actually goes a little lower than the Bergie if you look at the spec but Jim doesn't give the rolloff spec, he gives the performance spec..
    I have several fivers and use a Sadowsky Vintage 4 as my main Bass and get as deep a bottom as I could possibly want with all the clear top end and punchy mids that you could ever want... I actually have the tweeter set at about -8db gain (it is THAT good)
    In all for a studio gig the AccuGroove may be the way to go if you want to mic the cab...BUT save a little money, use a Direct box, and try to get a HT is only 39 pounds!!! (as opposed to 38) but it sounds like a TON!!! Check it out here:

Peace and Good Luck!

3. I can sympathise with you. I too am waiting for the Tri 112 to arrive in the UK. I am phoning Alex at the Gallery every couple of weeks but so far no news. I have a solid 10 days of gigs, 2 a day, in early August which I really wanted the Tri 112 for but I am resigned to just taking my Epifani 1X10UL.

The Epi UL is an awsome cab and I was going to pair it with an Epi 1x12 UL but when the possibility of the Accugroove cabs became available in the UK I knew I had to wait for them.

I must admit that I personally preferred the Epifani to the EA.

Lets hope we can both get the Tri 112 in time!

4. sixontimber

Aug 2, 2003
    Thanks for your replies guys.

tommixx - I was looking at a Berg cab before I ordered the AccuGroove. Seems its even harder to get those in the UK! I did talk to Jim a while ago about getting them shipped over and it didn't seem like it would be a problem. Thig is, though, if I cancel my AccuGroove it's only because I *need* a cab for these gigs and recording session I have coming up - i.e. I couldn't rely on another shipment from abroad.

Matthew - I feel you pain - seems we are in a very similar situation. I was going to phone The Bass Gallery to see if they had any of those cabs in - obviously not.

My gigs are third week of July though, so I get mine first ;)

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    The Bergie HT112 is another good suggestion, but I would disagree that it completely outclasses the Epi T-112 or EA CxL-112. Each has their strengths and weaknesses, and all three (plus the Accugroove) are very respectable cabs that truly are a cut above much of the competition. My thoughts are that of the cabs you have mentioned, the only two that I would feel really comfortable with as a single, standalone cab would be the Accugroove or the EA. While the HT112 is a very nice sounding cab, especially in the mids, I find it to be somewhat lacking in low end weight and authority on its own. Pair it with an EX112, or another HT, though, and you have an absolutely superb small setup. On the flip side, the Epifani T-112 has tremendous low end (for a single cab of its size) and plenty of highs and low-mids, but I find that it is somewhat muffled in the upper mids on its own. Pair it up with an Epi T-110UL, and again, we have a magical transformation where the sum is greater than the parts (as with the Bergies). The T-110UL adds excellent clarity and articulation in the mids, and the two blend together very nicely. In fact, while each has their own character, the HT112/EX112 combo and the T-112/T-110UL combo have more tonal similarities than they do differences, IMHO. Both are excellent combinations.

But again, for standalone use, the Tri 112L would be my first choice, followed by the CxL-112. The EA Wizzy 1x12 is also a fantastic standalone cab, but with no tweeter (other than the wizzer cone), it's not for everybody.

Have you communicated directly with Mark Wright about your Accugroove dilemma? He is quite helpful, I have found.

Those Schroeder cabs that are the subject of a recent thread look very promising, too.
  6. sixontimber

Aug 2, 2003
    Thanks for the reply.

Yes - I was also quite tempted by the Epifani 110 + 112 combo, but I don't think the Bryston 3B-SST would quite cope with that. Also, it makes for a bit more expensive rig.

I have e-mailed Mark a few times and he has been pretty apologetic. I don't think there's much he could have done about it. As I said in the original post, it just seems to be the result of a number of unfortunate circumstances.

Here's hoping I get it at the beginning of next week though. I really would prefer the AccuGroove over anything else, but I just can't keep on relying on borrowing/renting other rigs. Renting just eats away at the cash you get for geigs and borrowing isn't reliable enough. :meh:

7. mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Hmmm... so you clearly go for the tubey/colored tone, eh? :D
  8. sixontimber

Aug 2, 2003
    He he. The sound isn't as sterile as you'd think. I like my bass like I like my women - clean and transparent (not sterile) :eek: :p.

9. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Manager: AccuGroove Speakers
    There's a new movie coming out based on a book called, "A Series of Unfortunate Events." This in short, is how building & shipping our new smaller cabinets have been for us, although our larger ones have not been affected.

The new lighter imported wood, plus the new custom drivers have been the main hold up, as they've been backorder. This followed by a flood of orders have made it difficult to deliver the smaller cabs on time.

The good news is the wood & drivers have just come in so we are back up to speed. Douglas & Matthew, your cabs will be shipped out on Tuesday (Monday being a holiday here in the states). I’ll personally email you with tracking numbers.

I’m terribly sorry for the delay & inconvenience & accept full responsibility. Although it won’t make up for it, I’m including a couple of surprises with your orders as a way of saying thank you.

PS It will be worth the wait!
  10. inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Thats cool Mark. :cool:
  11. sixontimber

Aug 2, 2003
    Hi Mark,

Thanks for the reply! I hope you didn't think I was defecting to the other side - I just had to start researching other options just in case. Also, I completely understand the way these things can happen sometimes and I wasn't blaming you personally.

I can't tell you how happy I am that I'm not going to have to go through the whole process of deciding on a cab again :hyper:. It took me ages to discover AccuGroove and I'm looking forward to using it with the rest of my gear.

Oh, and I usually hate surprises, but now you've got me curious... :meh: :confused:

Cheers Mark and I'll look out for that e-mail!

12. vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    Completely ridiculous. I can't believe anyone that's owned all three could be so ignorant! Different, sure...

Glad to see Accugroove came through! Now that's the power of Talkbass (and proof great customer service still exists)
  13. IGNORANT...I beg your pardon....I wasn't aware that voicing a qualified opinion made one ignorant. Actually, I have an engineering degree, my family have been an MI dealer since 1974, and I have been a professional musician and engineer for nearly 25 years....IGNORANT....does that sound like someone who is ignorant? The poster asked for recommendations and I gave one. I use an HT112/EX112 with a Demeter HBP1 and a CA9 and (side by side against the EPI in particular I have tried ) it OUTCLASSES both the EPI and the CXL (both of which I have ACTUALLY OWNED and used in the studio and on stage, I toured internationally for 12 years, not that it matters much that I used to do over 200 shows a year) that is my may not be yours but that does not make me ignorant...or does it?

BTW -I enjoy your objective website...try that here as well...

14. Mark

Many thanks for the quick response.

I am really excited about getting the Tri 112 I suppose it is a little like waiting for Christmas when you are small - the closer it gets the harder the waiting seems.

The thought of a suprise just adds to the Tension :hyper:

15. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Be sure to tell us all how you guys like the Tri 112L's, will ya? That is one cab that I never did get a chance to hear, but based upon all of the other Accugroove cabs that I have heard, I am sure that it is impressive. My Whappo, Jr. has the new neo drivers, and the sound is just as good as the ferrous-driver version, but the decreased weight is extremely apparent, and much appreciated. I am not at all surprised to see Mark come through for you guys. His level of customer service has been consistently high, in my experience, and he is really a very nice guy to deal with.

16. Yep. I have to say that I really like the Tri-112 that I played. In fact I am looking at picking one up right now. Hopefully I'll be able to check one out with my iAmp 800.

Hey Tombowlus, do you run the iAmp800 into your Whappo Jr? Are they well matched. I am thinking of a pair of Tri-112s.

17. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Ideally, I prefer to power the Whappo, Jr. with my rack rig (the 3,000w from my PLX 3002 really makes the Jr. sing!), but I have used it many times with the iAMP 800, and they are a very good match. The iAMP has gobs of EQ tweakability, and Accugroove cabs respond very well to EQ tweaking (in other words, you don't have to worry about a small EQ adjustment suddenly making your cab sound like @$$). So I would say that yes, they are a very good match. If you get two Tri 112L's in the 4 ohm flavor (or with the Accuswitch), you could send 500w into each of them with the iAMP 800 (pushing a 2 ohm load) or 400w each with a total 4 ohm load. That should be more than enough to get the job done!
  18. Yippie

Just had a email from Alex at The Gallery in London. The Accugroove's have arrived at last. I will be going up to London in the next few days to pick one up :hyper:

One very excited person. I will report back on how they sound

Matthew :bassist:
  19. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Douglas, where abouts in Scotland are you? I'll be up there playing in Glasgow, and at the Edinburgh festival in August, with my Accugroove Tri 110s in tow... come and say hi and swap AccuStories :)

The Gallery is now brimming with AccuGoodies, so you should be getting yours any day...

20. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio

How do you like your Tri 110's?