Accugroove TRI 210/Thunderfunk TFB-550 = T O N E

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tommixx, Sep 26, 2005.

1. This is for Big String but everybody else can tag along...

I have been using a Thunderfunk TFB550 and an El Whappo for a while now and was loving it!! Recently, I found out that I have a degenerative bone disease and can not handle the weight of the El Whappo by myself... :crying: I have to say that the El Whappo is the BEST cabinet and the Thunderfunk TFB 550 is the best amp I have personally ever had in my life and I take my hat off to the guys at Accugroove and Dave Funk at Thunderfunk for getting it right!!! If it were not for my health I would probably keep using the T-Funk with the El Whappo...Now on to the review....

First of all the size....the TRI 210 is pretty compact even for a 210 cabiniet a bit larger than some but overall smaller than a lot of things out there. The center of gravity for the handles is perfect. I can guarantee you that these guys did some research on placement, it does not get this good by accident!! I can very easily manage this cabinet in and out of a vehicle, on and off a stand (case) and setting up in general with ease.

This cab has the 4/8 ohm switch (the coolest thing) but does NOT have the volume pots for the (serial number on mine is 101) mids and highs and in my opinion does not need them. The sound is very neutral and very easy to change with slight variations in EQ. Accugroove really gets the nod when it comes to their midrange and high end. A lot of people say that the high end is lacking, even going so far as to call them "dull sounding". BUT, you just EQ to taste, even extreme amounts of high end is reproduced effortlessly and without a fear of componet failure (due to self resetting protection) by the AG stuff. I guarantee that when used creatively, this is the most musical sounding gear out there!!

This thing is a punch monster and cuts like a knife!! The throw is excellent and very smooth and even. I found that even moving all the way across a fairly large stage (about 25 feet or so) I never really "lost" the bass. I could "Feel" myself through the mains in the lower frequencies but the TRI 210 was filling the stage almost entirely on its own with the exception of a bit of bleed from the drum wedge. Granted the guys I played with are old farts that have been playing for 30 years plus!!

The rig was set up on a drum case (which the drummer uses as a bar :eek: ) with the cab on its side on a Gramma Pad and my 6 space rack on top of that and I had NO problems at all hearing at what I would consider a fairly moderate volume. I was running my basses (Fender Marcus Miller with Sadowsky Pre and PUPS and a Lakland DJ 4) through my Shure ULXS wireless rig and was able to walk around a fair bit while playing (I call it interacting with the crowd and other musicians :D ). I was VERY pleased by the sound I was getting and really did not miss the El Whappo from a volume standpoint at all...

BUT, the difference to me in these 2 cabs is while they are both REALLY good, the El Whappo just CRUSHES every other cabinet out there INCLUDING the TRI 210. The El Whappo just has this HUGE (check it out with a DB 750 to see what I mean!!!) sound that engulfs everything around it. I did not get the sensation of the size I get from the El Whappo (hey it is ONLY a 210 cabinet!!!) but the 210 to me actually cuts better than the El Whappo, more depth and size for the EW but more punch and cut to the 210. The 210 is actually more efficient Cabinet and seemed to get more comfortable the louder it got. The El Whappo gets scary (to me) at volume because of the "size" of the sound. It almost seem overpowering over everything else :eek: on stage. -

EDIT - I mean this in a good way NOT a bad way....Scary in the sense that it just effortlessly is heard over anything and everything else on stage. VERY good bottom end extension and size WITHOUT being boomy in the sense of, well, "boomy" LOL! The El Whappo just powers over and sits "on top of" the mix and the 210 cuts right through it if that makes any sense. - EDIT

I wish I could keep both. I forgot to mention that this gig with the 210 was an OUTDOOR gig so my results may be diffrent inside. I suspect that the 210 will be even better in a bit more intimate setting. Overall, I am very pleased so far at the 210 and I figure if I have to downsize, the TRI 210 is THE cab to do it with...I need a few more gigs under my belt with it but I am very happy and HIGHLY suggest the TRI 210 if you are considering a smaller cab, especially if you are looking at a 210 style box.

There are absolutley NO downsides to this 210 that I can find, everything about it seems flawless in its execution and I applaud the guys at Accugroove for their efforts...add the flexibility and the unreal TONE of a Thunderfunk TFB 550 to the mix and you have yourself one heck of TONE COCKTAIL and one of the smallest, lightest and best rigs out there!!......Rock on!!! :hyper:

I will update this thread after a few more gigs with it so stay tuned.....

2. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    i think that the accugroove 2 10 is under rated..

everyone is talkin bout whappo's etc blah blah, dont get me wrong, those are great cabs, but i've never been more hapy with a cabinet than with my tri210L

good review!
  3. MODNY,

I agree!! That is one of the reasons I bought it...I tried one briefly before I got the El Whappo and was REAL close to getting one then!! I have no regrets getting this cab!! The Best 210 out there right now bar none!! (And one of the best cabs out there PERIOD as far as I am concerned!!) Hope you are digging yours as much as I dig mine!! Rock On!!

4. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    i recently paired my 2 10 up with a discontinued accugroove 18" sub. (thanks tom) it handles 800w at 8 ohms, and right now i only have about 190 going into it.

i'm waiting for my new pre-amp (eden navigator) to come in , then i can start plugging things together..

nonetheless, its sounds soo sweet

5. natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I just got a Tri210L and I have a TFB-550 on the way. My 210 has the attenuators for the mids and highs however, though I think I'm going to just leave them all the way up (which is flat right?).

I also have a Schroeder 1210 and I'm anxious to compare it to the Tri210L. I think it may get more of a deep/full sound in tradeoff of some high-mids/high clarity. It'll be an interesting comparison at that.

Can't wait till the T-Funk gets here :hyper:
  6. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

I'd love to hear the comparison/review of the Schroeder to the Tri.
  7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    No problem. I'm glad you are using it (or that at least you soon will be using it!). :D
  8. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    This is why I generally prefer the Whappo, Jr. The low end doesn't threaten to run out of control. Of course, when you can get away with it, the big lows of the El Whappo are quite nice!

And as for the Tri 210L, I agree that it is an incredible cab that offers tremendous tone and sound for its weight. I'd love to try two of them sometime.

And let me add that I wish you all the luck in dealing with your degenerative bone disease. I've been keeping you in my thoughts and prayers and will continue to do so. I'm glad that you have found a lighter weight solution that is getting the job done for you! :)

9. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas

10. One Big Huge Thanks To Tommix for a great review to ME!
    Tommix has been kind enough to respond fluently to all my pm's and post. Thank you for takin' the time Tommix.

I'm pumped about the Tri210L. Mark Wright told me severl times how two of them is scary stuff. As to the EW I find it very controllable and would love to a/b a Jr. an EW to hear what Tom is lovin' a bit more as I greatly respect his opinion too. I'm planning on becoming a tens fan with this cab as I'm currently not. I'm sure the EW/tri210l combo will be rediculous and I might as well tri it. :D When my EW gets a little to big on the bottom I simply cut back some bass tone and maybe add a little mid and it steam rolls everything in it's path. I've gotten more compliments on my sound/mix from audience and band members since introducing the EW. I plan on using the Tri210L for smaller/medium apps althought the EW has done everything seemlessly.
  11. UrbanIvy

Aug 1, 2004
    San Francisco
    This is a great thread. I'm playing through a Schroeder 1210 and have been trying to find a Thunderfunk amp locally to play through.

I would really like to see the review of the two different cabs!
    And even more, I'd love to hear some sound clips.
  12. Jean Baudin

Jean Baudin

Aug 27, 2003
    redwood city, ca
    Endorsing Artist: See Profile
    :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :) :D

13. My first impression of about 1/2 hour of noodling is very favorable. :D Tri210L is very cool.
  14. Tom, I'm so glad that the Tri210L is working out well for you, except perhaps for the fact that you managed to get me interested. :)
  15. As do I.

Keep us posted. I'll be watching with interest.
  16. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    cmon guys,

i just plunked down for a Lakland BG... there is NO NEED for this thread to be floating around. :spit:

but sounds like a very cool rig. :bassist: :p
  17. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    IME, the EW and the 210L pair up even better than the Jr. with the 210L. The added lows of the EW seem to make the addition of the 210L more "obvious" - but in a good way.

18. natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I just hooked up my new Tri210L with my Trace V-Type 600H. All I can say is WOW. Huge low end and a punch that you can feel in your chest. All while staying incredibly crisp and tight. This is one heck of a cab. I can't wait till my TFB-550 gets here.
  19. How's this for an endorsement? I was playing with my 4 year old daughter earlier tonight and had my Sadowsky Vintage 4 into the T-Funk/TRI 210 rig, I was teaching her the notes in a scale (she wants to learn!!) She was sitting in my lap playing in position and I was helping her with her left hand....All of a sudden she says "I can feel it in my belly daddy!!" When I asked her what she could feel she said "the Bass , silly" I asked her to show me where she felt it and she put her hand up to my chest and said "right there"... The moral of the story is.....Accugrooves are so punchy EVEN a 4 year old can feel it!! I figured you guys would get a kick out that, I know I did!!