Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Accugroove Tri112L Vs. Epifani 1x12UL

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Christian Houmann, Aug 3, 2005.

1. Í know that has been alot of thread about cab vs. cab but I need to do this!

I own a pair of Epifani 1x12UL and is happy about them. But you heard all those good things about Accugroove cabs. In my search I found a Tri112L and it's for sale. It's more money then my Epifani Buy I'm curious to buy it and see if that good.

All Accugroove and Epifani owners speak up :)

Do I need help? :help:

2. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    I really like both cabs you mentioned. I find the epifanis to be wonderful for certain tones, but I find the accu's to be great for those tones, plus lots of others. With the Accu's, the EQ is your friend. I've been able to dial up any sound I need with any of my accugrooves. I'm very happy with my 112, whappo and the others I've had, I have yet to find a complaint with them, and their tone, volume, and presence always blow me away on stage as well as in the studio.

That being said, Epifanis are truly wonderful cabs, if it wasn't for Accugroove, I'd own epifanis in a second. Also, if you're happy with the sound you have, there is no rush to change your rig. But, If you do get a chance, I'd A/B them both to see which you prefer. I guess in Denmark, it's a bit tough to track down different cabs, you may want to contact Mark Wright at Accugroove (whappo grande on talkbass) and see if he has any players near you, or passing through.

By the way, the first thing I should have asked you was:
    what bass, amp?
    what style of music?
    what tonal characteristics do you feel your rig is lacking?

happy hunting!

jake

jakewolfmusic.com

3. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    p.s.

yes, you need help!

4. Thanks.
    My basses are 4 strings Foderas and I almost every kind of music like jazz, funk pop/rock. I'm with different bands and something I'm stand in bassplayer for bands. I like the tone of Epifani but I would like to heard Accugroove. A friend of mine owns a El Whappo and I haven't heard it yet (I will give a call today) But still you can't really compare a El Whappo to a 1x12. I will get the sound. If I bought the tri112l it will be a while before I would get another one, so I will use the 1x12 as stand alone cab. Wil the cab do good?

Thanks
    Christian

5. michele

michele Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2004
    Italy
    I own a Tri112L. I was caught between the Epi and the Accugroove as well and at the end I went for the Tri112L because I bought it with the Thunderfunk+Accugroove special package...so I can only speak about this cab.
    I use it as a standalone and it's really unbelievable!
    My key word for it is NATURAL.
    Read this thread:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=187048

Good luck!

6. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I haven't heard the Accugroove stuff. People seem to either love it or hate it. However, I just got my 112UL and I LOVE it. I've had a bunch of 1x12 cabs, and this my favorite by far. It is meaty, punchy, articulate and phat. It will definitely work as a standalone cab. However, for the price of the accugroove...you could probably get the 112UL AND a 110UL, which is an amazing small setup. (I'm running this rig right now and love it)

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i'm reckonin' that you read my little Tri112 review from the winter time.

with that in mind, going from the Accu to the Epifani sound in a band context might be a bit of a let down, cause your sound wont cut thru as well. but, the accu will seem bigger and more surrounding. not as beamy or directional.

on the other hand, the accu is a terrific cab to listen to, when by itself. with my avalon U5 / stewart rig, with no adjustments on my sadowsky's tone controls, i was sailing. soooooooo nice. the epifani's almost seem nasally and harsh in comparison. as a cab for uprights, it'd rock the house.

in the end, i sold my Tri, only cause i already had the "uncolored" stuff covered with my Acmes, and 10" speakers will always fit the bill for my style.

8. Hey Guys.

I read you thread about Accugroove. They seems be very good cabs. It seems alot of you likes Epifani but Accugoove is a level higher.
    Are we into a very little different between Epi and Accu? I' going to heard a El Whappo next week :D with Thunderfunk at TB member Jacove!

Accu is bigger (but also have a 6 speaker) and more expensive. I can actually a get a Epi 3x10UL for the same price!

9. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    my 2 cents:

the price difference is a significant factor indeed, and I know the accu's are more expensive than the Epi's. I have no desire to justify or criticize anybody's price point, but for me, it was well worth the price difference. What I paid for my Accugrooves is easily offset by the amount of money I was spending buying, selling, and shipping cabs, all of which were great pieces of gear, just not exactly what I needed. That doesn't even factor in the value of how much easier of a time I have dialing in my sound in any situation, and knowing that my rig's going to sound great with minimal effort. It's a peace of mind thing for me.

As for the Accu's onstage, I never find them to be bland, understated or muted (in the highs) as some people have experienced. Perhaps it is the rest of my signal chain; Fbass bn6, Demeter HBP-1 and Crest poweramp, but I find the tone to be razor sharp, in fact if I eq at all, I'm having to cut the highs a little, as oppose to boost it to get the most balanced tone.

I would say my tri112 is not as "sparkly" as the 112UL, but I find it to be more natural and precise. For example, when I record direct out of my demeter using my tri112 as a monitor, Its usually almost exactly the same tone (funky rooms notwithstanding) as the recorded track, which says to me that this cab is extremely accurate. It makes it much easier and quicker in the studio as well. If I can just focus on getting my rig sounding great (which I'm much more comfortable with than some random studio setup), the direct tone out my demeter is going to match it almost perfectly. Just some more food for thought.

Have fun with that Whappo > Thunderfunk setup. Thats an awesome rig, and although it won't sound exactly like the tri112, it's definitely in the same ballpark tonally as the 112, and should give you a good sense of what the accugrooves are like and how the sound. Keep in mind, the whappo is not a tri 112 with a 15" added. The 12" driver is different in both cabs. It's the sub in the tri112, and the low-mid driver in the whappo. Big fun.

jake

jakewolfmusic

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    no, i think you misunderstood me, but they are two VERY different cabs. i wouldnt say the Epi is any lower or higher than the Accu. just different.

again, the Epi is much more colored, and Nick seems to have colored it specifically to slice thru any mix, despite being 12" sized. the Accu, on the other hand, is flatter in sound and uncolored without any EQ'ing.

so, YMMV.

11. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I've never heard actually these 1x12s myself, mind you, but by any chance did you mean to say above that the Epi's will cut through better instead of the Accugrooves? That seems to be the consensus (or so I've thought...). And that's my impression based on their respective 2x10s (which I have actually played :p), but maybe their 1x12s are different....

12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    MG,

mosdef. the Epi 1x12 sound is the only cutting 12" i'd actually use/own. again, there are many other terrific sounding 12" loaded cabs, but the Epifani's do the trick for moi.

but as always YMMV.

the Accu's while a great sound, no doubt, wont be as slice'em dice'em.

13. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    The Tri-112 is a potent little package. A stacked pair would pack some serious punch :bassist: Standalone use would depend on your volume requirements.

14. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    In almost all situations I've been in, the Tri112 is more than loud enough. I think it projects really well too. Cutting through hasn't been a problem though.

In terms of "cutting through" the epi probably cuts through better, because of the way it's voiced, but I think the Accugroove puts out more low end, and more projected volume.