Accugroove tri210 volume...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Jan 18, 2005.

1. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    How big "traditional" cabs cab the Accugroove tri 210 challenge?
    What cabs have you retired after getting a tri 210?
    Can a tri210 really challenge a traditional 410 or 212 like Trace Elliot, Ampeg or Aguilar etc?
    I need to know because if I drop my money on one I wont be able to get a second cab in a long while.
    Also is it a must to have a really big poweramp for this cab? I have a Gibson GB440 on its way (same as Thunderfunk).
  2. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Not the same setup, but here's an anecdote that may or may not be useful...

My SWR SM-900 amp used to sit on top of two 4x10 cabs. With my Whappo Jr. replacing the 8x10 setup, it *wasn't* quite as loud. I don't think that the Jr. is inefficient, so much as simple physics (that I don't understand fully but which seem intuitive) dictate that more speakers will tend to be louder. Anyway... when I matched my Jr. cab with a more conservatively rated power amp with *less* rated power (one side of a Crest CA-9), then the "mushroom cloud" as Big String puts it, showed itself. Bandmates of mine with extensive live sound experience were making comments like, "can you believe that's just a 2x12 doing that?" It was definitely more sound than I ever got out of the old speaker setup.

In other words, from my *very* limited experience:

1. If you put a smaller AG cab under the same amp and made an apples-to-apples comparison with larger cabs, it will almost certainly sound better, but it might not win the volume war.

2. Is the Accugroove claim, and the popular claim, that these cabs can compete with much larger ones an inaccurate one? No, I have found it to be true, though only when I really gave the Jr. cab plenty of power did it *really* blossom and show me what it could do.

I'm far from an expert, but that has been my experience with the above-described setup.

3. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    i replaced a eden 2 10 xlt and a eden 2 12xlt xlt rig with one tri210 L
  4. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii

Please do tell...

I'm running two 2-10XLTs with either an Eden WT-550 or GK 1001rb II head. I'm looking into buying Tri 2-10 or two tri 1-12s.

How does your new cab compare to running your two Eden cabs are far as volume, tone, head room?

Volume and tonewise, I expect that the one AG cab is not quite as loud as the two Eden cabs, but close; and the tone is much more balanced HiFi?
  5. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    i was also running two 210 xlt's not too long ago either

my new accugroove cab is sweet.......its loud, clear, tight, defined, low...its amazing

i dont know what i was thinking all my life

i hate when bass gets lost in the mix

this is definetly a setup i will hve 4 years
  6. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Bought the Tri 2-10 a couple of nights ago and used it on a gig last night. It sounds great! It definitely has more bottom and is louder when compared to using one of my Eden 2-10 XLTs. The AG's highs and high mids are certainly different than what you typically get out that Eden horn. It's much more smoother and balanced, rather than "in your face" - which is not neccesarily a bad thing. I enjoyed playing through the cab and look forward to the next gig.

:hyper: :D :hyper:
  7. Thunderfunk

Mar 27, 2004
    McHenry, IL
    Similar, but NOT the same. You'll find the Thunderfunk has a deeper low end, more defined mids, and smoother highs.