Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Accugroove Tri210L on the way!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Big String, Aug 21, 2005.

1. Well I've just spent several hours here on TB looking up threads about Accugroove Tri210L cabs and read many interesting things. The Tri210L does not seem to be as popular as some of the others like the Jr. or EW which I have currently.

I recently made a trade for my TFB550 + some cash for the cab. I was going to try one locally but this great deal fell directly into my lap. I prefer my WWU over the TF so ... I decided to give it up. I have a feeling that somewhere down the road I might revisit this fine amp though.

The main reason for aquiring the Tri210L is for small/medium gigs where my EW is to difficult to move by myself. Normally I always have help with my main gig so it's not a problem. Really though, the EW is managble by itself, I just run into problems with stairs when alone etc. I tried the Tri112L recently and liked it very much, but it didn't seem to have quite enough for a small-single-solution. I'm hoping the 210 with the extra punchiness and heft (bigger box and more drivers) will be the small/medium size answer. Everyone raves as to how light it is and does not seem to weigh the posted 57#. I can handle that with great ease. I now for sure I will be impressed when I use the DB750 but I'm unsure how well the WWU will perform with this cab. I like the WWU so much but after using the 750 it's zipped up in the gig bag lately... I really need a small rig though and the WWU/Tri210L should be really good.

BIG QUESTION:
    While-st I'm waiting for the cab to arrive I thought I do some fishin'. Has anyone used the Tri210L and the WWU in live gigging situations?

I saw one post of a guy who was impressed with a friends. I also know that some Tri210L owners love the iAmp800 which I don't own, and many regularly pair up with a Jr. or EW, but that was not in my main plan as the EW does the trick all by itself. Of course you all know I won't be able to resist pairing with my EW...why not, right. Or should I say Wright... :D Having spoken with Mark several times on this subject in the past months, he stated that it would actually scare people.

As I've stated in other threads I will continue to use my Berg HT112 for the mini/small things. That should cover all my needs for cabs I'm hoping :smug: I appreciate you input and hope this thread is not redundant at least too much. I thought a fresh one would be... fresh.

2. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    you will love the tri210l

i have one, and it rocks, i even play large gigs with it

3. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    Big String, I'm really glad you found the one that suited your needs. I am definitely looking for your hands-on report when it comes in. Of course, I'm most interested in your thoughts about the difference between the 210 and 112.

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    You've probably read more than you want to from me already ;), but to summarize my experiments, here's an excerpt from my blog:

Please note, however, that I have never gigged with just the Tri 210L and the WWU, alone. And let me also add that you may want to try your Dem/CA9 rig powering the EW and the Tri 210! :bassist::D

Later, Tom.

5. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Congratulations on the score and I am also looking forward to your reports on how it gigs out.

:)

6. Cool, Dean. Should be a very good cab for your needs.

I heard Scott's AI Focus and Tri-112L over the weekend and it was an awesome combination, IMO. Paired with the NX7 and Scott's incredible musicianship, it proved to be an unbeatable experience.

7. seaKamp

seaKamp

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago
    I just got one myself and woudln't trade it for anything!!! Enjoy.

8. Thanks for the replies, it eases the pain of the wait...
    I looked most of you guys up while searching too. Karma.

Mod: thanks! looking forward...love new gear.. like goin' on vacation.

K: I'm hoping so. The casters will help too. Will report for sure.

Tom: thanks, great summary of what I asked for. You can bet the CA9/Dem will be the 'reactor' for the EW/tri210.

Lo: Whaz up. Thanks, will report.

Bernie: Lovin' the Accugrooves. Scott is amazing.

sea: Thanks for chimin' in. Would love to hear some detailed thoughts on your new 210.

All: I've owned a few cabs with tens in my day. Eden 210xlt, Eden 410xlt, Berg NV610, Mesa Diesel 2x10. They were all good cabs. I did, however, end up 'not' liking any of them always craving other things... :rolleyes: like more natural lows and mid-lows like you get from a good 15 or 12. The punch is great and while standing near a tens cab you really feel IT. Thus far though, when going out into the main listening areas I've found the tens just 'drop off' to the point were an instant frown came to my face. In defense of the famed speaker I will say that the bigger cabs, loaded with just tens, picks up again in the very back of the room usually which is not to my liking, and on outside gigs were always disappointingl. (of course there are many other factors in regards to my broad statements, it's not just the cab). The fact that the wave seems to come alive again makes me feel I can't control my sound. I'm no acoustic eng. and I may be all wet here (soakin'), but that's what I've experienced. I was most impressed with the NV610 and the Eden 210xlt. The Eden 410xlt had a sorta uncontrollable bottom I ended up not liking very much and the Mesa was next to useless without the 15 on the top or bottom. Some of this doesn't matter that much if you usually have FOH support, which I do, but still had too many voids and too many comments on how the bass is too loud in the back and can't hear the bass in the middle or until you got right up to the stage area in between the FOH ... used to hear that a lot. Anyway all this blabbering is about why I never loved 10" drivers. I'm certainly looking forward to the Tri210L changing my mind. :) That is.. using it in the right setting for which it is designed. Anything or everything else gets the EW... or both. Ka-Blam !@#**!!

9. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    I like the "both" idea. I have an outdoor gig September 10, and I think I'll be putting my Tri112 on top of my Whappo, Jr. Let's see what 3 big 12s sound like!

You guys who have used multiple Accugroove cabs, whaddya think? Turn down the mids and tweeters on the physically lower of the two cabinets, or let everything go full force?

10. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I keep 'em all wide open.

11. seaKamp

seaKamp

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago
    I haven't even had mine long enough to give you a good detailed review. I am currently preampless so I will save my thought till I am able to run my new Eden Navigator into the chain. It should be here on THURSDAY!!! I'm currently just playing out of my CA9. By this weekend I'll throw quite a few more detailed thoughts about the cab up here on this thread and other Accugroove/Navigator threads. I'm beyond excited, just like you... and I already have the cab, just hearing through the CA9. You'll LOVE IT!!! I can't wait till we hear what you have to think about the cab! Its a shame that you had to get rid of the TFunk with all of the great stuff I've heard about it, but its not like you don't have a killer amp to fall back on with the WWU.

On a side note...(not meant as thread derailment)I'm in the Chicagoland area like you, I was wondering if you tested the ThunderFunk out before you bought it and if you did, where did you test one of those out? I'm not going to get one or anything but you know how perpetual GAS goes... Anyway enjoy the TRI210L!!! :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

12. Congrats, Big String! I certainly know where you're coming from. I haven't found a need for anything more than the single El Whappo yet, but I do prefer to self-sufficient when it comes to loading. Any larger cabinet can be a bit awkward for one person on those narrow stairs...

My original plan was to add the Tri210L later, but just haven't found the need yet. Still, the idea of using one of these for smaller gigs is appealing. That's to say nothing of the combined possibilities... so please keep us posted on your findings!

13. Thanks for stoppin' in guys.

Kjones: I'm sure it will be killer. When I auditioned the Tri112L last week I found I like the high attenuator turned down a bit unlike the EW which I always keep both wide open. The test was too short to give a real good opinion. The room was awful too ... small auditorium for speaking only. Actually my Berg HT by itself (no Ex) did a better job in that room, but it's really not loud enough and I don't want to push it too hard, hence the Tri210L.

Sea: you could probably go right over to Veron Hills at Mr. Funks place email him. And, no I aquired my TF from a trade/sale of one of my basses. Great amp though. If I didn't have the WWU already I wouldn't have let it go. I still may revist someday again. I really want to try/not buy an iAmp800 too. My DB750 is really trippin' my trigger these days.

oddio: hey buddy, I will for sure try them together but I most likey will not haul both for gigs. Everything I've tried the EW on so far has been stellar. If the Tri210L didn't have casters I might have gone another route, but it's seems as though it will be managable for my old body parts. Anyway I'm having a ball in gear/gas heaven these past few years. Expensive... heck yes.... but what a fun ride. Can't take it with me... you know the drill.

Oh, and I wanted to mention something that the very wise and patient Jim Bergantino told me awhile back. He was explaining the "canceling" phenom thing and that I'm sure has a lot to do with some of my weird experiences with tens loaded cab and others for that matter. Especially when there are subs for the FOH close by... I really appreciate all the phone time he spent with me. I humbly bow.

14. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Not a whole lot...
    I'm buying a second set of nickle DR LowRiders -- I really like them alot.

The band I'm in is doing several private parties.

I'm still enjoying my bass system very much.

I'm still spending more time on talkbass than I probably should...

:help:

:eyebrow:

:rolleyes:

:)

15. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I'm thinking I'll need to order up an AG pretty soon myself also. I appreciate threads just like this one.

-Mike