Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

accugroove vs. schroeder vs ???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by v-12, Mar 3, 2005.

1. v-12

v-12

Mar 3, 2005
    FL Panhandle
    hello. i've been reading talkbass for quite awhile, it has been the major decision maker in most of my gear choices. i am in the us military and stationed overseas; so i don't have access to try out most anything i buy (not the wisest thing to do, i know, but i need new gear as bad as the next guy); so i have to rely on others opinions. my current set-up is an mtd 535, demeter 201s, and river tbr-5. i play really loud hard rock/metal- but i don't want the jazz bass through all ampeg sound... i usually play with the eq flat and a pick right over the neck pickup, and i'm looking for the end all cab. i was looking at either an accugroove el whappo or the maybe the jr.; buti've read quite alot about the schroeder cabs, i'd probably go with with a couple of 21012's.... about the same price for the two setup's- i'm just wondering if anyone's given these two companies the pesi challenge and what they can reccomend. thanks in andvance- v-12 :confused:

2. dont

dont

Jul 25, 2004
    dontwyman@lycos.com
    I have given the two a thorough challenge. I have two Genz-Benz NeoX212's now---need I say more?

3. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    The AG Jr. is a pretty amazing cab, v-12. I've yet to find a venue, indoors and out, where it runs out of gas. Lots of low-end and very clean, smooth on top. Sorry to say I haven't tried the Schroeders.

Respect and support for your service overseas, btw. :)

4. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I've tried a couple of Schroeders vs. Accugrooves vs. Epifanis at Luthiers Access Group.

I found the Schroeders sounded absolutely amazing, up until I heard the Epifanis (which is what I currently own). The Schroeders didn't sound quite as clear as the Epifanis but had the same range.

The I tried the Accugroove and was disappointed that I opted to buy Epifani. It's just that much more clear, and just a touch fuller sounding.

5. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Manager: AccuGroove Speakers
    As one of the manufacturers, I can only comment on one thing; I really enjoyed meeting & talking with Jorg at this last NAMM show. He came by our both everyday & we always had great conversations.

Mark
    AccuGroovey Baby! (Speaker cabs of course)

6. First of all, Thank you for your Service and may God bring you all home safe and sound soon.....I can only preface this by saying I have been playing Bergantino cabs (HT112/EX112) for the last year or so and have been loving it!! I am currently in the process of working a deal to get a Thunderfunk Head and an Accugroove Whappo, Jr. I heard the Jr a while back using My Sadowsky Vintage and was knocked out by the natural, clear, articulation that I got with this cabinet, as an engineer, I can honestly say that my bass sounded like it was coming through the best "Studio reference" speaker I have ever heard...the detail that you get with these cabs is unbelievable....

I like the "vibe" of the Bergies..but the difference in the Accugroove was very revealing...you hear your BASS instead of a speaker or an amp's coloring...first time I have really "heard" my Sadowsky sing with its own voice since I got her....this cab produces an amplified version of what the bass sounds like accoustically, AMAZING!!

For what it is worth, I have heard the Tri 210, the Whappo, and the Whappo, Jr and I prefer the Whappo Jr because it seems to me that the 12's are clearer and more articulate than the 15 of the Whappo,(which is obviously a little deeper and boomier) and more defined than the 10's...they are ALL great cabs, don't get me wrong...you can't go wrong with any of them....

I believe that Mark and the guys have hit the "right" formula for producing the "natural" tone of whatever bass goes through it...the highs are the best I have ever heard in a Bass cabinet and rival the top end 50,000.00 (apiece!!) main monitors that I have used in Mega Studios around the world....the midrange is very defined and the overall design allows you to get a depth and fullness to your D and G string that I had never heard in a Bass Cabinet before trying these....

Make mine the T-Funk and I'll take the Whappo, Jr please!!

Peace and Chicken Grease,

T

7. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    Hey,

On the cabinet front I'd say it definitely depends on the vibe you're going for. I own an Epifani T-112 NYC and a custom T-212 I'm selling simply because it's too much cab for my gig situation. I have also had the opportunity to try a Schroeder 1210 which I also sold because it was too much cab. And I hope to get a Mini 12+ someday... I hope to try out the AccuGroove Tri112L soon as well, and did play through a Whappo, Jr. long ago when they first came out. I loved what I heard from all of them, but they are all different.

The Schroeders are somewhat more "aggressive" (while still being very smooth and articulate, if that makes any sense at all :confused: ) than the other two with a decided mid bump that makes them cut like nobody's business live. And they are LOUD cabs.

The Epi's are a bit "smoother" and more refined sounding than the Schroeders, very defined and have great bottom. But they definitely have the Epifani "flavor" which some love and some don't... I love it!

From what I remember of the AG, which is limited, it just sounded huge, refined, and very even, hence the comments regarding the "reference monitor" quality. They are going for a more "true" and flat response if I'm not mistaken, which is one of the reasons I've heard they take to EQ'ing better than any other cab on the market.

So, this is some personal experience and a bit of heresay on the AG's. It's too bad that you can't try them first because they're all stellar cabs and it's just going to be a matter of which one speaks to you the most. Jorg is a great guy as well, and Mark Wright is by all accounts the same (as is evidenced by him coming here to sing Jorg's praises). I have been to Nick's in Brooklyn to meet him and he is very nice as well. So, now that I've been no help at all, and this has been quick and inarticulate, I'll stop. :D

Lastly, and most importantly though, I echo the sentiments of everyone and thank you for your service to us and our country. It is truly humbling to know what you all are doing for all of us back here. Know that you have our thanks and prayers. . .

8. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Two great brands! I now own an Accugroove Tri 2-10 and 1-12. I've only gigged a few times with these new cabs having come from Edens and EA cabs. These AG cabs are everything that people are saying about them in recent TB posts - excellent balanced tonal response, tremendous bottom (even with these 10s & 12), and very loud without farting out.

Although I've not played through Schroeders, I've listened to a couple of local classic rock bands where the bassist used a 1210. That cab is loud and punchy; it's an excellent cab for classic rock.

A friend of mine used to run an iAMP 800 through two Epi 12 cabs. He was pretty happy with that rig.

Your plan on going with two 21012s is probably very smart in the "bang for the buck" dept. You'll probably need alot of cone area to keep up with those metal guitarists.

9. Just wanted to say THANK YOU to you and the rest of our Armed Forces, for keeping the USA a free place. GOD Bless you all and keep you safe and sound. I served in the Navy during Vietnam and was happy to do so. Stay low my Brother. Good luck with your cab selection.

10. bassjam

bassjam

Aug 2, 2004
    dfw
    Lakland Basses,Genz Benz

11. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    One person you need to talk to (if he doesn't chime in soon) is Biker4Him.

He's owned both brands of cabs.
    You could also do a search for his posts and the brands or models.