Accugroove Whappo Jr. vs. Acme B-4???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Jul 1, 2005.

1. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    ... or, another installment of "Lets Talk Joker Out of Another Cab"... :)

i love my B-4, but my curiousity for a Whappo Jr. is starting to really get to me.

while i like the Tri112 i owned a little while back, it just didnt sound big enough as a small cab vs. my usual small cab workhorse, my Acme B-2. yet, the Tri mind melded with my Aguilar DB680 / DB728 setup and my DB359 like gangbusters!

and while the B-4 does an impeccable job as my large scale box, i'm actually finding myself need something that's louder with higher sensitivity in any easy to carry single unit. i would go the Epifani route, but truth be told, i like a flatter toned box for my parametric tricked preamps and heads.

so what say you, oh sages? is the Whappo Jr. that much louder than the B-4? punchwise, does the 12" loaded cab of the Jr. do as good a job as my 10" loaded and beloved B-4? how much lighter feeling is the Jr. vs. the 4? despite the weight, which is a better carry ala the handles?
  2. you KNOW what I am going to say..........try the Whappo, Jr AND the El Whappo and THEN decide which you want....Either one of them will sound thicker and deeper (at least to me) than the Acmes with the Aggie stuff (I used my DB 750/El Whappo rig outside again today for a big festival....about 7,000 or so at our stage and it was FAT....) I have a 680/CA9 rig I could (and have) used but I prefer the 750 for some reason (I keep the 680 in my studio rack!!) I think you would probably pick the EW if you want a little deeper response at the tap....give Mark a call and tell him what you are looking for and he will guide you in the right direction...he is a great guy!! BY the way, I don't find moving the EW any hassle at all considering the tone I am getting for my trouble!!!!!!!!

give this a read if you haven't already...

3. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    I wish I had definitive answers for you, Joker. The 4-10's would have a little more speaker area. You probably figured that into your thinking already. A slight advantage in portability would go to the Jr. as they are supplied with pop-out casters. I would say that the Jr. is an easier carry. The Jr. won't fit in my Camry though...
    I would assume you carry spare fuses. If you go with Accugroove, that will no longer be a factor (self-resetting protection rocks!).
    Punch factor? I can't offer a direct comparison. My B-4 went to California before my Jr. arrived. The B-4 may hit a little harder, but you aren't going to loose much punch with the Jr.
    O.K., that was the long, here's the short: you simply have to experience this cabinet yourself to see if it's going to fill YOUR bill. As good as Acme cabs are, I firmly believe Accugrooves are worth the extra $$$.
  4. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    I agree here.

Try to check out the EW and the jr. to see which you prefer. Some people like the huge bottomless depth of the EW, and some people prefer the tighter, more deep low mid oriented tone (IMO :bag: ) of the jr. I love them both. I prefer the ultra depth of the EW, but the jr. is fairly compact and shockingly light. Like Tom said, it's definitely worth it to me, moving something like that for the tone you get in exchange. I find that with those two cabs, I can pretty much EQ them both to sound any way I want anyways!

Also I agree about the Aggie stuff, especially the 750. I had a 750 with my EW briefly and it was magic for sure, great combo. Definitely missing that amp!!

In regards to the Acme, I know that an EW or a jr. is going to sound louder than an Acme 410. With identical wattage, A jr. or an EW are going to be loudier and clearer. I'm not saying anything about peoples subjective and personal tonal preferences, but in terms of perceived volume and clarity on stage with a band, I think that the AG's will allow you to hear yourself much better.

hope that helps,

my website
  5. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

my B-4 fits surprisingly easily into the trunk of my Accord, while the Jr. deeper dimension does trouble me.
  6. One other factor that hasn't been mentioned... in addition to increased efficiency the AccuGroove cabinets project far better. My personal preference is for the El Whappo, especially if you are primarily playing 5-stringed basses. Perhaps you should try both out before you make a decision that's based on the opinions of others.
  7. dood

Dec 9, 2004
    sitting down,facingforward..UK
    Endorsements: Shuker Guitars, Dingwall Designer Guitars, D'Addario, Planet Waves, Barefaced Bass
    I'm sure it has been asked before, but hey, I'm feelin a bit lazy today. Has anyone been able to get the 'sensitivity' readings for the Accugroove.

I would like to know how much more 'power' you have to put into an ACME for it to equal the volume of an Accugroove, 'in the perfect world' shall we say.

ACME B4 = Sensitivity: 96 dB 1W/1M on the website.
  8. The problem with this measurement, as with most, is that it doesn't provide all of the details... like was it measured at 1KHz only, or full range 20Hz-20KHz and at what distortion rating? You almost always end up comparing apples to oranges. AccuGroove quotes 102 db at a specified frequency range: 39Hz-18KHz for the Whappo Jr. and 35Hz-18KHz for the El Whappo.

If all things were actually measured equally the Acme would require 4 times the power for the 6db increase needed.
  9. dood

Dec 9, 2004
    Endorsements: Shuker Guitars, Dingwall Designer Guitars, D'Addario, Planet Waves, Barefaced Bass
    yeah, i kinda see what you are getting at, but out of being pedantic, the Accu's 102dB rating is max SPL

where as ACME are quoting 96dB at 1 Meter/1 Watt which isnt the same thing?

I would liken that to saying my Car is a 1.8T and does for example 150MPH

but my friends car does 60MPH at 3000RPM.

My point being, If I had an ACCU sat on one channel of my power amp and a B4 on the other channel, how much louder will my power amp have to be on the ACME channel to have the same or similar volume? again, take the 'perfect world' as the constant here.
  10. dood

Dec 9, 2004
    by the way, forgot to say thank you! ;o)

cheers ODDIO
  11. Unfortunately I don't have a B4 to compare directly. If I connect two 4ohm B2 cabinets to one channel (2 ohm load) of my PLX and the El Whappo to the other with the AccuSwitch set to 4 ohms, the EW is still perceptibly louder at the same amp gain setting. I suppose one could extrapolate that to mean that the El Whappo would be a minimum of 3db louder. If both sides were at 4 ohms, that 6db number might not be unreasonable. Note that 3db is the smallest increase in volume that human hearing can differentiate.

The caveat: this is hardly a scientific exercise, but more of a guesstimate. Not much help, but the best I can do under the circumstances. :)
  12. dood

Dec 9, 2004
    Cheers ODDIO, no, actually i thank you, a guesstimate is good for me! I have tried one of my Hartke 4.5XL's against one 8 Ohm ACME B2 and would actually have said similar about those 2 as well.

Thats great. ;)

anyone else wanna chime in?
  13. Cheers dood! BTW, if you think that 102db is max SPL for the El Whappo or Whappo Jr. then you've clearly never stood next to one. :D
  14. dood

Dec 9, 2004
    unfortunately for me that is very true.. something i would look forward to hearing

no scrub that! something I'd look forward to feeling!!!!
  15. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    thx guys,

and was hoping Oddio would chime in here.

FYI, the El dubya is not an option, cause its bigger and heftier than what i need. the Jr. does fit the bill.

btw, how is the Jr's transport in your cars? could you fit it into your trunk?
  16. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Oh heck bro, just buy one. You'll be able to flip it no problem if it isn't your thing.

17. I hear you, joker(jkny). An additional 4.5" height can make a world of difference. I simply lucked out, in that the El Whappo fits comfortably in either of my gig vehicles. It also fits into the trunk of my summer toy, but does require an extra pair of hands to load in or out.

Having an Acme background as I do, the standout item would probably be the difference in the high end response. I think that you're aware of the other differences. At first you might think that the top end is rolled off a little bit on the AccuGrooves, but once you've had a chance to do some serious playing you'll realize that it's all there; amazingly transparent but without "brightness". I much prefer the top end of the AccuGrooves, but I do remember that it was a little bit of a culture shock for the first hour or two.

Anyhow, best of luck holding off on the inevitable. :p
  18. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    I will qualify my earlier statememt about the Jr. not fitting into a ('98) Camry. It will go into the trunk but the trunk isn't quite deep enough to allow the lid to close & latch over the cabinet. This isn't a factor for me because the Jr. pretty much stays at one location. My traveler is a Tri-112.
  19. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    While I have never played through a Low B-4, I also own two Low B-2's. I think that this is actually a really good matchup on a variety of levels. However, I think that if you own the 680/728 rig, you really should be required to also own a Whappo, Jr. :p That combination is just huge, but also tight and articulate. Very impressive. And the Jr. is much easier to move than you might think. It's proportions are such that it's a comfortable carry, and it is definitely lighter than you would think it to be. I can't speak to the ability to put it in a trunk, though. I drive a wagon for a reason! ;)

Also, FWIW, I find the Jr. to be very punchy, especially with tube amps. Moreso than the Low B-2's or other 10" equipped cabs that I have used (and more punchy, tight, articulate than the El Whappo, too, IME).

20. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I played an outdoor gig yesterday with the Jr. and Walter Woods Ultra. Large, open area around a pool on concrete with nothing behind us--sonic hell, in other words. The Jr. was punchy with almost a startling amount of clarity and upper register coherency with no loss of low-end heft. Very impressive. Very light for the load-in/out, too. Frankly, I find this cab to be right near the top for single-cab, working gig solutions.