Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Accugroove Whappo Jr.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by boogiebass, Sep 26, 2004.

1. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
  2. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Manager: AccuGroove Speakers
    I'm blushing...really!

Mark
    AccuGroove Speakers

3. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    nice review.

4. Boogie, excellent review. Writing skills bar none.
    I like that you threw in the Berg Mini stack for the heck of it. So far I haven't found anything to beat them up seriously for most gig situations. UDAMAN!

5. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    That's it! I WANT A WHAPPO JR., and I want it now! Now, to mortgage the house. . . . . . .

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    great review!

does this mean ALL Whappo Jr.'s are now standard with Neo speakers?

7. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Thanks, y'all. With two gigs coming up this week, I'm eager to put this cab through its paces in two more of my regular rooms. :cool:

8. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    Montana
    Nice! That is the cab I'd choose if I were to ever get another cab.

Rod B.

9. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Congratulations Boogie!

Sounds like you got a real winner on your hands.

10. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Yup, I think so. I bought this cab from Adrian Garcia at Access Bass, BTW. Very smooth process and Mark at Accugroove answered all my questions and was very responsive, too. In all, a very pleasurable purchase process. Thanks Adrian and Mark!

11. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Nice review, Boogie! As you know, I have been a proponent of Accugroove cabs in general and the Whappo, Jr. specifically, for some time. It's a great one-cab solution, as it is so light weight for its size, and I find it well balanced an easy to move. But when you fire it up, the sound is so much bigger than what it felt like you just loaded in. One aspect of the Whappo, Jr. that totally amazed me was how full, yet clear, it sounded at pretty much any position on the neck. Even the high notes had a certain heft, and underlying fundamental to them that I found to be very pleasing and very musical. Like when you add a quality subwoofer to a home audio system, and even the midrange and higher notes sound better.

Of course, when you add a Tri 210L on top of it, it sounds even better! :D :bassist:

12. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Very interesting...I have yet to be able to try an Accugroove cab in a good situation and am very curious.

13. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I pick up my Whappo Jr. on Monday the 4th. Lord, I can't wait!

14. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I'm SURE it wouldn't work for you, Josh! ;)

15. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    UPDATE---

After using this cab on two subsequent gigs in quite different rooms, I've found that my initial impressions held up well. In particularly, I'm pleased that this cab sounds good no matter where you stand. In the room last night (a small restaurant/bar where my trio is shoved into the corner by the big-screen), I was almost standing on top of the cab; I could step back and bump into it, in fact. The Whappo Jr. sounded great and I could hear every note, no loss of bottom, no muddiness, no ambiguous pitch definition. Very clean.

This is the best single-cab I've ever gigged. For my needs and purposes, it's perfect!

16. So did you use the WWU? How's this cab compare to the to Berg 112 stack in all around performance? Would in your opinion the Bill Dickens model be better for cutting than the JR since is has more of a lower midrange bump according to EL Whappo Grande in another post.?

17. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Actually, on the two gigs referred to above, I used the Stew 2.1 with Kern IP777. Mono-bridged, of course. The Whappo Jr. has more heft on the bottom and a more articulate mid-range than the Bergie mini-stack. Despite the sweetness of the HT112 horn, I actually prefer the smoothness of the Accugroove's tweeters, myself. And it's one very light cab on over-sized casters, not two! :D

No idea, really, about the Dickens model as I've never seen one, let alone played through one. I would think Mark has a good handle on its properties, however, and he seems like a straight shooter, too. But I'll tell ya: the Whappo Jr. cuts through a mix like the proverbial hot blade through butter. And you can always EQ more low mids if you want 'em. One of the things I really like about the Whappo Jr. is its flat response and apparent lack of "color" in the various frequency ranges.

18. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Ditto.

19. hey all,

Mark Wright celebrates his birthday today! happy birthday, Mark!

from the lows,

Stew

20. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    HB, Mark! :D