Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Accugroove whappo update

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jacove, Jun 30, 2005.

1. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Hi,

I've just received my El Whappo and MAN DOES THIS CAB SOUND great, though I still got it in it's break-in period and haven't cranked it, It is clear to hear how it produces the whole tonal spectrum, and what BOTTOM END....I had the Whappo JR. and liked it a lot, but the Whappo just got that deep and HUGE bottom that I could imagine will move a ton of air when pushed.the 15" really adds something in the bottom end, it makes the cab more balanced and full to my ear!!!...I will be gigging with it the next few days, MAN I'm looking forward to that.

For other soon-to-come Accugroove owners, just wanna say that Mark has removed the tweeter and mid attentuators from his cabs because he really didn't find them useful.

2. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    did he really remove all that stuff??

i really liked having that...

damn, especially since i'll be getting a whappo soon

3. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Yes, they are removed...here is a quote from the mail:

"A few months ago we pulled hundreds of international & domestic
    dealers as well as users from Nathan East to Myron Dove & weekend
    players. The question was how they ran their attenuators. 100% ran
    them all the way on & never touched them. Everyone said they adjust
    the EQ from their basses & amps. That's when we made the decision to
    remove them from the cabinets. Removing them helps add to the clarity
    & crispness, as well as the reliability & helps us not to raise our
    prices."

4. BassIan

BassIan Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Cupertino, California
    Yeah... this almost makes me want to have one without the attenuators. I suppose they're not hurting anything being back there at full open, though. This should not deter anybody from buying an Accugroove. These are not your usual tweeters/midrange. You'll want to turn these up if anything. :D

Jacove, I'm glad you like the Whappo. I just got mine about two months ago and have just LOVED it so far. Unfortunately, school keeps me from playing a lot with the band, so I don't have very many hours on it yet, but every hour I do have on it I've cherished. It does EXACTLY what I want it to.

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Nice score, jacove! I am a big fan of Mark's cabs (currently own six, with at least one more on the way!). All of mine (except for the Gordo) have the attenuators. Maybe they'll be collector's items one day, eh? ;)

6. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    tombowlus, I'm just in shock whenever I realize how much gear you have....damn, where do you store all those cabs... :eek: Seriously, the El Whappo really delivers that extra level of articalution which I hoped for, I just hope it can keep this level of sonic excellence in a live setting...then my search is over! :bassist:

7. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    It's a sickness, I know, but I figure it beats a drug addiction! And it helps to have a big basement (though most of it is crammed in my "music room").

Tom.

8. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    In truth, I have been thinking about the feasability of setting up my own shop... ;)

Oh, and it doesn't look good! :crying:

9. wyleeboxer

wyleeboxer Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    Good God Tombowlus, never read your profile before! I guess you could open a store?

10. Yup, I think you would have WAY too much inventory to hope to turn a profit anytime soon.

The other potential problem:
    You would never actually SELL any of your precious cabs... :D Hard to be a profitable store when you only BUY cabs...

Randy

11. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Yes, that is a fundamental problem... :p

12. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    I think you guys are whacky! What do you mean, it looks like a bass shop's inventory? I defy you to find me the bass shop that has that quantity and quality of gear in stock! If it existed, I would be spending my time there measured in weeks.

"Don't worry honey, I'll be home soon, I'm going through the cabinets alphabetically, and I'm already up to the Es."

Tom, I can't say I'm jealous, because I love the gear I have, but just........wow.

13. Low Down Sound or at least LA Bass Exchange may be able to compete... or maybe not...

Randy

14. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    .....(cough) ....... Bass Central ......... (cough) ;)

15. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Does Bass Central have as many discontinued EA cabs as Tom?

16. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I've been running a Tri 112 stacked on a Tri 210, and it's always been my preference to run the attenuators full-on at 100%. So, I'm not surprised at the poll results. I've had these cabs for a few months so the honeymoon is over, but I still enjoy playing through these cabs at every gig. The punchy low-end and musical sounding mids and highs are the greatest! also, these cabs are very efficient and loud.
    :bassist: :cool: :bassist: