Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

AccuGroove!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dont, Oct 5, 2004.

1. dont

dont

Jul 25, 2004
    dontwyman@lycos.com
    My AccuGroove Bill Dickens Signature 2X12 arrived today. My first impression is that this cab lives up to the hype---solid, tight, bottom which welcomes a low B; flat frequency response that accepts EQ very well; smooth, clear highs with no hint of harshness. My only problem is having to survive the 4-8 hour break-in at "low to moderate volume" before I can turn it loose. I have tried MANY major speaker brands in many configurations, and nothing I have tried approaches this cab. And it's built like a tank. :hyper: :bassist: :hyper: :bassist: :hyper: :bassist:

2. :spit: is all I can say. [I did try and find a smilie that was jealous but couln't find one].

Look forward to a gig report when you try it out in anger!

Regards

Matthew

3. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Congrats! I've been enjoying my Whappo Jr. very much. And any player who owns a Hanewinckel can't be all bad! ;)

4. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Congrats!

Have you compared it to the Tri2x10L? I've been dying to try one of the Bill Dickens cabs & I'm sure it's a level above but how they compare sonically & their reactions over the EQ range would be interesting(12's- 10's, Ferrous-Neo magnets).

I've owned an El Whappo & a Whappo Grande(sold 'em). Recently I tried a 2x10L that was very impressive & will consider it after I try the BD series...

~S~

5. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Manager: AccuGroove Speakers
    I'm glad you love it & thank you for investing the cab!

Feel free to turn it lose as soon as you want. The break in period is more about loosening up the suspension so you'll notice more depth after the break in.

Mark
    AccuGroove Pro Speaker Cabinets

6. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    I've tried one of these cabs at volume (band rehearsal). The mid-bass and low mids are a bit fatter than the usual AccuGroove sound, but the mids and highs are there too. Instant groove machine! I love everything AccuGroove makes, but there's a special place in my heart for the Dickens signature cab.

7. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...ohh boy, there goes my GAS...

~S~

8. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    STOP Mark, ya KILLING me!...

~S~

9. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Mark, I've never tried your cabinets. I'm interested but at the same time a little curious what the tweets sound like compared to the sound of say a hi freq horn say a 1" with a metal horn? Are they as snappy and crisp?? Gotta admit for a funk gig I need a speaker system that not only slams the low end but slices and dices the high end. Being textile tweets, are they rather on the polite side in comparison? thanks.

10. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    @Whappo,

How would you compare the Bill Dickens cab to an El Whappo jr. ???

~S~

11. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    What I've always liked about compression horns is the high end it adds for any style of playing, especially slap. What I've always hated about most compression horns is that they are unnatural sounding, harsh & brittle.

That's why we spent years looking for the right solution; I wanted the highs without the junk. Slap players like Bill Dickens, Kim Stone, Nathan East & David Dyson get all they need from our design. At the same time amazing players like Steve Lawson, Dann Glenn & Edo Castro love them because if they go fretless, they sound natural at the same time. (Same for upright) By the way, although people don’t always get to hear it, Steve can play ANY style of music in a huge way; including slap.

Bottom line: it's the best of both worlds.

Mark

12. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    In comparison the Jr. is a little more open sounding like a studio monitor, while Bill's is more agressive sounding. Bill's cab is more in your face (like Bill) & has more low mids.

Hope this helps.

Signing off till Monday. I need to get away with the fam for a couple of days...later.

Mark

13. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Owning several Accugroove cabs (Whappo, Jr. and Tri 210L) and numerous other cabs, my impression of the Accugroove tweeters are that with regard to producing music, the dual silk dome tweets are on a par with the best "conventional" tweeters out there (Epifani and Bergantino, IMHO). What they don't do is hiss, sound metallic, or ever sound obnoxious like some of the less expensive tweets, like the Foster/Fostex horns. I will not say that they are superior to the Epifani or Bergantino tweeters, but they are right up there, though admittedly the Epi and Bergie tweeters can get more "in your face" than the Accugroove tweets will do.