Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Accugroove....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BigMikeW, Jul 21, 2005.

1. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    Pro and cons of Whappo Jr. vs. El Whappo???

2. You know what I will say!!! But I will say it for everybody else LOL!! The Big difference to me is the extra depth and the apparent size of the sound coming from the El Whappo.....the specs don't tell the whole story.....while the cutoff frequencies are a little different the tale is ACTUALLY in the design of the boxes and the components used.....I was NOT a fan of 15's at all until I talked to Mark and got some insight on the design....the kicker for me was when he asked me to try the El Whappo (I had already played a Whappo, Jr and a TRI 210) and if I wasn't convinced no problem! I got it a few days later and right out of the box I knew it was a keeper....after it has broken in it is unbelievable the difference between the El Whappo and every other cab I have owned or tried.....My cab GAS is over....I am going to probably get a TRI 210 someday just to keep in my house and that will be it for me as far as cabs go.....

Peace,

T

3. My experience was near identical. I was well along on the path to a Whappo Jr., but my discussions with Mark brought me to the El Whappo instead. Of course I might purchase a second one at some point, but just haven't found a reason to do so.

Now Big Mike, you KNOW that Tom B. is going to tell you that you need a Whappo Jr. I would suggest that you give Mark Wright a call when he's back on his feet and spend some time playing with both. One or the other will certainly meet/exceed your expectations.

Pros and cons to follow when I get back home...

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Well, that saves me a few keystrokes! :p

Actually, I like them both a lot. It is totally a matter of personal preference, I think. The El Whappo has a more massive, somewhat deeper low end, as you would expect, but I find the Jr. to be a tad bit more tight and punchy. Perhaps a bit more focused sounding, too. Keep in mind, they both use the same midrange, tweeters and 12" low-mid driver, but the El Whappo has a 15" "woofer" instead of the Jr.'s 12" (which is not the same driver as the 12" which both cabs share). It seems logical to me that in the El Whappo, the 15" woofer will be somewhat louder relative to the other drivers than the Jr.'s 12" woofer. What I am hearing from these two cabs seems to suport this theory.

Personally, I have a slight preference for the Jr. overall, especially with tube amps (as the Jr. seems noticably more tight in the low end). I do think that I am in the minority, though, and I also think that the El Whappo is a dang fine cab.

I recently picked up a Mini Whappo, which was the very first Accugroove cab that I heard. It is my favorite sounding Accugroove cab for electric bass when playing at lower levels (FWIW, the Tri 208 is my favorite for upright bass at lower levels). Here is a shot where you can see my new (to me) Mini with my (also new to me) Quatra Valve on top. The El Whappo is off to the right with the Jr. on top. The Tri 210L, Gordo, Tri 110 and Tri 208 are all hiding in there somewhere! :p

[​IMG]

Later, Tom.

5. MWBass

MWBass

Jun 19, 2005
    New Brunswick
    I break it down as simple as this...

If you play a four string go for the junior. I strictly play fours and fives, but my fives always are strung with a high C. I feel that the Junior has the right low frequency response to fully produce a low E or dropped D. I have felt no loss. Also, it kind of depends on your style. If you want something that is a little bit tighter and has more punch, go for the Junior.

If you play a five string strung standard, by all means get the El Whoppo. The low end response is extremely tight yet full. Your low B will ring out with clarity while still remaining thunderous. The el whoppo has an extremely true sound, very natural.

So, If I were to choose personally I would choose the Junior. Well, I am a little biased because earlier this week I finished my rig which includes a pair of Whoppo Juniors. I guess I would say you gotta try both and see what is best for you. The junior sounds best to my ears. It is the sound I have been looking for. As I have said, I play four string strung standard. In my opinion, if I were playing a five, I would go for the whappo. The Whappo is also a good bet if you are only using a single cab, because it has a bigger presence than the Junior.

Let Your ears decide...
    Hope that helps a bit...

6. I've got the EW. I play only four strings and drop D-tune about 15% of the time. I wanted a single cab for bigger and outside gigs. I was not able to auditon a Jr. just a Bill Dickens which is quite different. I bought it because it's the AG Flagship, and because the EW does not use any neo magnet drivers, not that it's a bad thing. If it get a little too huge on the bottom for me I simply cut back a little bass tone, but it's there if I want it. Kinda like 'bass-tone headroom' :D I would still LOVE to try a Jr.

7. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
    sitting down,facingforward..UK
    Endorsements: Shuker Guitars, Dingwall Designer Guitars, D'Addario, Planet Waves, Barefaced Bass
    How much are you guyzz paying for your accugroove cabs, if I may be bold enough to ask?

accu'Dood

8. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Tom, what drivers are in the mini whappo?

9. Hman

Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    I've tried all the cabs at the Accugroove headquarter..thanks to Mark ;) Personally, I think the El Whappo has a lot more bottom than the Jr. To me, I think is a little too much :D So, I bought the Jr. Wait till you hear the Jr. or Whappo with your Sadowsky...game over :eek:

10. MWBAss makes a VERY good point!!! One of the main reasons I got my El Whappo and in fact the very thing I told Mark was that I wanted a single cab solution......I searched high and low and tried most of the other things out there but the EW just had ALL of the prerequisites I was looking for.....I tried the Whappo, Jr and the TRI 210 (and even tried them together...talk about a bass rig!!) I told Mark that I thought that 12's were tighter than 15's and nearly as punchy as 10's (for my engineering work I prefer to spot check my mixes on Genelec 12's or Boxer 12's as my main monitors!!)

I was not convinced that the 15 in the Whappo would fit my tastes as I always thought that 15's (at least the ones I have heard) were quite a bit more sloppy than 12's and as a result ACTUALLY was ordering a Whappo, Jr from Mark and when he asked a few questions about my use he suggested that I at least TRY the El Whappo before I made up my mind......I agreed and I don't regret it 1 bit.....

I think that especially on a 5 string the El Whappo is a bit tighter and more cohesive overall of all the cabs I tried....I play both 4's and 5's but I play 4's most of the time.....The El Whappo gives a depth and a size to even the G String that you have to experience to appreciate......As far as I am concerned, the Accugroove line in general is technologically far beyond everyone else out there......There is something that happens when you plug a good amp into it and I have tried quie a few and they ALL sound great.....My favorites are a Thunderfunk TFB-550 and an Aguilar DB750.....You have to hear these rigs to believe it.....

Peace,

T

11. Tombowlus, Tommixx and MWBass summed the differences up nicely. To add to this, I play primarily 5-stringers, both fretted and fretless. Currently I'm using an Origin with plenty of clean SS power. My primary (the beech Wal 5) is an extremely punchy bass so I did not want any enhancement in that department. This is likely why I chose the El Whappo over the Whappo Jr. by a narrow margin.

El Whappo - Pro:
    - the obvious: great AccuGroove sound (invisible, transparent, flat response, really cuts through the mix)
    - efficiency & projection
    - single cabinet solution
    - AccuSwitch

El Whappo Con
    - a little bit larger (4.5" taller)
    - a little bit heavier (88lbs vs. 69lbs.)

12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    tsk, tsk...

best to call up a few dealers yourself, and see what pricing you come up with.

13. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    [My bad. This is for the Whappo, Jr.]

1 12" neo sub woofer
    1 12" mid woofer
    1 6" mid range driver
    2 soft dome textile tweeters

14. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Whoops! I quoted you the Whappo, Jr., above!

The Mini Whappo has a 10" woofer with a whizzer cone, an 8" mid woofer, and the same 6" driver and two tweeters.

I think Mark said that they only built four of those, so I own 25% of the world's supply of Mini Whappo's! :D And 10% of the supply of Tri 208's (though I was up to 20% at one time).

Tom.

15. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Holy Cow Tom! How do you decide what to take to a dang gig? That photo leaves me both envious, and confused :cool:

16. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I probably enjoy answering that very question as much as anything, really! It is kind of a sickness, but I get a perverse pleasure out of trying to come up with the ideal rig for each room/venue. I've gotten pretty good at it, and so long as I can see the venue first (or better yet, hear another band play there) I can usually hit the nail pretty much right on the head.

Of course, with most of my gear, it is at a level of quality where I can adapt to a wide variety of rooms. But I still enjoy the challenge of coming up with what rig is "perfect" for a given instrument/song/band/venue.

Tom.

17. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
    sitting down,facingforward..UK
    Endorsements: Shuker Guitars, Dingwall Designer Guitars, D'Addario, Planet Waves, Barefaced Bass
    nah, it's just that I'm in the UK and wanted to know post purchase (TR210) what other people had got in the way of deals etc.. UK only has 1 Accu outlet.

18. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds

Uh, Yeah, I am thinking sickness might be the right term. :bag:

19. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Yeah, I've been into the cab/amp acquisition thing even longer that my current Sadowsky, MTD, Tobias, Skjold buying spree! :p

20. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Alright, as long as we're thread swerving around Tom-what's the avatar dude?