Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

accugroove?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jebthebassist, Aug 23, 2005.

1. Jebthebassist

Jebthebassist

Dec 8, 2004
    I'm looking to get a smaller cab that can deliver more lows and volume then the Ampeg pro cab I'm using. Also I have the peavey one space digital power amp that pushes up to 1400 watts @ 4 ohms (bridged). It can run at 2, 4 and 8 ohms in stereo and bridged at 4 and 8 ohms (1000 at 8 bridged i believe) Anyways, I was looking at the accugroove because I hear nothing but great things about them. Possibly an El Whappo or Whappo Jr. What are your guy's thoughts? Any suggestions? Oh I also have a aguilar DB 680 preamp. Thanks for your help!

-Tim

2. Bassist30

Bassist30

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    Either the El Whoop or the Jr will make a fine cabinet. As to which one I would go and try it yourself somewhere. I have the Jr and love it. The el whoopo may give a little more bottom but I like the lower mids on the Jr. It still can be felt regarding the bottom end. But again thats my 2 cents. Try them both. They are a different anaimal all together than the SVT cabs. Not many places sell them so unless there is a place local it would be hard to try it out. Is the weight a factor? Cause the newer Jr's are 59.5 pounds and don't sound anything that light either. There are pretty powerfull and super clean. They both can get pretty loud. Depending on the music you play. They also sell a 210 which I heard is a great sounding cabinet. But over all they are a very clean sounding cabinet but yet they sound so sweet. Like a recorded bass. Right out of a srereo cabinet type of sound. They have a 4 and 8 ohm switch that may help you also.

3. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    yo man, sell me your aguilar db 680!

4. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    Jeb, first I would direct you to the review section of this site, where among other things those cabs are reviewed. That section contains my review of the Junior.

Whether they would work with your equipment, playing the kind of music you enjoy is unknown, because you haven't mentioned what you intend to play with this potential rig. I used to have a 680, and I can tell you that IMO going thru the 680, then into the Peavey, then a Whappo or Junior, you will have a very flexible, honest, transparent sound that would be great for lots of purposes, super for recording, but perhaps not the favored rig for hardcore, grind, metal, etc.

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Personally, I would consider it a very noticable upgrade if you were to switch to Accugroove cabs. You pretty much can't go wrong with any of Mark's cabs, so whether you want a 1x10 (Tri 110L), 1x12 (Tri 112L), 2x10 (Tri 210L), or a larger cab, like a Whappo, Jr., El Whappo, or Bill Dickens, they are all extremely impressive, IMHO.

Tom.

6. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    That sounds about right to me.

7. Hi, I've got the El Whappo (the flagship) and find it to be an all around solution. It is a bigger type cab as compared to what is available today. Mine is around 85# and is very managable for this size enclosure, discounting one man lifts on stairs especially. I have a van and one level home so it's a breeze to move on casters. I simple lever it up on my knee and in/out of my van. The Whappo is the only cab in the Accugroove line currently that does not have NEO speakers which would make the whole thing lighter for sure. Mark Wright states he has not found NEO's for that cab (yet) that won't comprimise the sound. He has however found the 'Wright' Neo's for his other cabs. You'd have to talk to him to get the actual scoop on why/what. Anyway I've got a Tri210L coming very soon too. I would have loved to get a Jr. since it only weighs a few lbs. more, but it's too close to the EW I think and I wanted to 'TRI' something a little smaller like the 210. For small gigs the tri110 or tri112 would be a good choice too. Pairing the small cabs is supposed to be killer but as it's more portable it's also more expensive. Really, call Mark Wright and speak with him. Actually any of the cab makers out there are great to speak with and happy to help.

8. Jebthebassist

Jebthebassist

Dec 8, 2004
    awesome, i sent him a pm. thanks!
    Oh, btw I play in a rock band. With funk, jazz, blues, and such. I also play at my church. We play worship songs (david crowder, the newsboys, stuff like that) Hope that helps.

9. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    Thanks for the additional info. I would guess that with the type of music you're playing, and with the tone controlled by a 680, you would sound darn good playing through a 'groove. It almost certainly will be different from what you're used to. If you're like me, there will be some initial shock, but at this point, even though I've played my cabs dozens (hundreds?) of times, I like them more each time I play them.

10. Supernova67

Supernova67

Jun 21, 2005
    Michigan
    everything that's been said so far sounds pretty good, but since you play in a rock band why not go for the whappo grande. 21" sub might be a little overkill, but who gives a ****. :D

11. Jebthebassist

Jebthebassist

Dec 8, 2004
    lol, I'd love to get the grande, but that wouldn't work with the power amp I have right now. I'd have to get another poweramp and then I could use that cab. That would be insane, just thinking about that makes me go crazy. :hyper:

12. Jebthebassist

Jebthebassist

Dec 8, 2004
    Hey guys, from what it sounds like I'm getting an El Whappo Jr. made!!! I cant wait. I'll let everyone know how it sounds with my 680 pre and the digital power amp!!!

13. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Awesome!

14. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    More Groovyness. You are going to love it!

Ken

15. mrbeezroom

mrbeezroom

Aug 30, 2004
    SAN JOSE, CA
    yes

16. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    oh yes indeed :bassist: