Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bassdadto2, Feb 8, 2002.

1. Did you like what you saw at Accugroove?

31 vote(s)
  2. Did you dislike what you saw at Accugroove?

3 vote(s)
  3. Do you really just not give a hoot?

11 vote(s)
  1. Bassdadto2

Dec 3, 2001
    Hey, lets all give this guy some props! He looks like he is going to be a major player in the high end bass cab market. Everybody go look at this site!

Steve Lawson and Max Valentino had good things to say about them! Let's get some owners!
    BTW I don't have any relationship to this company, I just know a good thing when I see it!
  2. They look very cool, I was checking them out just the other day. I do notice however, how they have neglected to post their freq. response and SPL numbers on the site. What are they hiding...? Two of those "El Whappo's" would do me just fine by the looks of it...
  3. chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    I don't think they've had time to run the actual tests to get those numbers yet.

I've been in contact with Mark Wright, Accugroove's head honcho, about doing an A/B comparison with my Acmes. I'll let you know how that works out.

I don't claim to have special access, I just happen to be local to Accugroove, and Mark's really interested in doing a head-to-head comparison. Frankly I really suck on bass. :(
  4. So are they that "accurate" unforgiving "hifi" style that Acme and Euphonic emulate? I don't really go for that "sterile" direct tone....
  5. I spoke with Mark Wright at Accugroove about the Quad El Whappo. He is both the designer and the builder of the Accugroove cabs. As of this writing, the boxes are being professionally measured for SPL and frequency response. Those results will be published when they become available. Mark commented about the wildly different methods used by various manufacturers for measuring their products' response. I suggested he contact JBL and arrange for them to measure his boxes, as JBL is very accurate and fully discloses both measurements and methods.

Accugroove is using Eminence drivers, and both bass chambers are vented. Considering the size of the cabinet, I'm making an educated guess that Accugroove is using the Kappa 15LF 15", a Kappa 12 or 12 Pro, and an Alpha 6". Mark believes the -3dB (F3) numbers will be in "the 30's" (his quote). I figure F3 will be around 39 Hz and the box will be -8dB at 31 Hz.

As of this writing, Mark and his partner are doing the construction work and using 3/4" void-free plywood. The cabs are labor-intensive due to the separate chambers used for each driver. Mark says they will be boutique priced, and will be much more expensive than the Acme.
  6. I was chatting with maxvalentino and really seems to like his new Accugroove cab. They look a little cheap imo, I really like SWR and Eden stuff. It looks like a good thing to at least try out.
  7. Eminence are very good....-8db at 30hz is rather steep, no?

8. Bassdadto2

Dec 3, 2001
    I have been very impressed with Mark Wright in the e-mail exchanges I have had with him. Seems like a cool guy, and he seems genuinely concerned with customers.

That alone is worth me pumping him up!!

I like the Whappo jr.!
  9. In this "virtual" internet economy of ours, customer service is quickly becoming THE deciding factor for me when buying stuff. Any company that gives me the attention I need, however petty and trivial my questions may seem, gets my cash. Great service I have gotten from; Bass NW, Alembic, Mesa, lesser companies like Crowther audio and Chunk Systems from Australia. All these guys are worth my cash because they take the time to talk directly to me. Andy Lewis at Acme was also very helpful but he didn't get my money......oh well.
  10. Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Anyone know what the cross over points are for those speakers?
  11. I was trying to get more info from Mark, but he is playing the cards close to the vest right now. He has a 4-way design going there, so I'd think there is a custom crossover being used. I'd prefer a 24dB L-R type, but that would be very costly. He's already into the production costs for a bundle, hence the (proposed) high prices.

Andy Lewis at ACME is a nice guy, and a helluva engineer, too. Kurt at Flite takes excellent care of his clients, but IMO his spec claims are still pure B.S. All these guys have an uphill climb trying to convince the buying public to move away from the main stream cabs.

It is my understanding that Eminence requires a minimum purchase of 500 units to receive the OEM pricing and special designs. At $50 each, that would be $25,000 in capital expenditure just for speakers. He could be buying them from another OEM's pallet to save money, or he could be using COTS Eminence drivers, which is my guess.
  12. Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    It would be nice to think that the atenuators on the EWJ might actually be at useful frequency points. As much as I love my Acme's the pads are, IMHO a waste. The tweet is 10k and above so it's effect is subtle at best and the mid covers 1K to 10K so cutting that wide Q is pretty counter productive unless you play reggae.

You know what would really be nice? If high end builders would stop using that smoke stinking, dog hair catching, fuzzy getting, beer soaking @#$% Ozite. I've about had a butt full of that junk.

No more Ozite!...No more Ozite!....No more Ozite!!!!
  13. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i say they cover all cabinets in truck bed liner.

carpet smells
    tolex rips

14. Accugroove says they are using Eminence OEM drivers. These can be selected from the Eminence catalog of canned designs, or produced from custom specs. Without knowing the T/S data, it is impossible to project the performance.

There are two camps from what I see. The Loud Camp (Eden, et al), and the Low Camp (Acme and others). I figure the rockers and noise makers will gravitate toward the loud ones, and the jazzers will lean toward the smooth HiFi cabs. The fringe lunatics and low F# players will stick with their subwoofers.

Kydex is a plastic covering that looks to be ideal for speaker cabinets. It is tough as nails and can be applied to the cabinet with contact cements.

Link to Kydex Site

As with everything else, I suspect Kydex ain't particularly cheap. Using Kydex instead of Ozite will drive the price of the cabinet higher when compared to the main stream manufacturers. Being over priced is not a competitive edge, unless you can deliver something that nobody else has.
  15. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Manager: AccuGroove Speakers
    Greetings fellow bass players! I just found this site & of course this thread. I want to invite you to ask any questions, either on this board or by directly emailing me. Although I'm unbearably busy, I'll do my best to respond in a timely manor.

Let me add this one statement. These cabinets were birthed out of my personal frustration as a bass player since 1970. Although we have addressed some huge issues left unanswered by other manufacturers, we by no means have "Arrived."

There are many good cabinets & companies out there. They are doing a fine job & many players like what they are using. We are not looking at these players, but the ones that are still unsatisfied after years of experimentation. There's room for everyone & we will have our own little area of expertise.

We are not better than anyone else, we're just addressing different issues.

16. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000

Welcome to the boards, Mark!

Thanks for your input regarding your cabs. It is nice to know that manufacturers do care about their customers;)

I, as well as many others on the board I'm sure, look forward to seeing your posts. Just be warned, there will always be critics:)
  17. So El Whappo in the "low" camp or the "loud" camp....? Better yet, a bit of both? Nice looking stuff. I love 12's. Please keep us up to date in regards to the SPL and freq. response ratings; I am sure we are all eagerly awaiting those numbers.
    Welcome to Talk Bass!!
  18. Hey Big Feet...what has Maxvalentino said to you specifically in regards to his new cab? Can he liken it's sound to anything the rest of us might know??

19. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Manager: AccuGroove Speakers
    We aimed it at the high SPL camp, but with a fuller & slightly deeper sound. It’s hard to please everyone, but we are approaching things from a different angle than most. We did a lot of prototypes with the lower SPL, but for live gigs most people wouldn’t like it. It takes to much power to sound as loud as an average box.

Bgavin built his own lower SPL sub & bi-amps it. He can control the volume on his sub with a separate power amp so it works. (He can crank the sub to match the other cabinets higher SPL) But if you’re mixing & matching speakers in one box like we are; their SPL levels have to match.

The SPL & other specs will be posted on our site ASAP. We are juggling a lot of things right now & hope to have them done in about a week. We are not trying to hide anything, simply not enough time in the day. Please be patient.
  20. Mark...thanks for your response, much appreciated. I play a whole lot of giant Dub bass but refuse to biamp due to my extreme beligerance (and old age..?) I currently use a Mesa M2000 600W and two Eden D212XLT's for my set up. I am hesitant to use 18's because of their "throw" but really crave that warm FAT tone. I don't need that "snarly" 10" sound...I love the warm mids of my Eden 12's; they just don't go deep enough. Your cabs sound like just the ticket. That is quite the claim, replacing "two Eden 4x10's w/ one El Whappo" but if true could be a Godsend. Any idea of their retail price? Any suggestions for a "dub worthy" setup?