1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ace of spades - powerchords?

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by FireArm, Aug 21, 2007.

1. FireArm

FireArm

May 17, 2007
    Hi there, does anyone have the powerchords lemmy uses for ace of spades? or something similar?

Thanx

2. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Motorhead's Ace of Spades is a '440' record. By that I mean the songs are all in standard tuning.

The title track is pretty much an E7 blues oriented song. It has a few elements about it that could be considered it E minor as well. It is very simply ferocious and delightful.

Before defaulting to TABS, I recommend you tune up, listen and play along with the recording. You can do the whole record and it is a great recording to learn rock basics from.

Lemme I believe is a 'pick player'. So if you're using fingers, the attack will be different.

Playing along forces you to really listen to what's going on in the recording. DO NOT let your instrument be louder than the recording.

My 2c.

3. Oratorio

Oratorio

May 9, 2007
    Norway
    I believe I understand what you are asking about. I don't think Lemmy used powerchords on Ace of Spades, I think he just cranked up the sound, and what you hear is a really overdriven tube amp, probably Ampeg(?). Sounds to me kind of new strings, high action and distorting it like hell .. I could easily be wrong, though! :D

4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

I think you should read the rules of this forum and put your 2 cents back into your pocket. :rolleyes:

5. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    +1 :)

6. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

The recording sounds in Eb, so most likely they played the song with half-step downtuned instruments.

7. gcb34

gcb34

May 9, 2007
    Spencerport, NY
    Lemmy used a Marshall bass head.

8. CelinderMotoMan

CelinderMotoMan Banned

Apr 4, 2007
    Flint, Mi.
    From the Youtube video, it looks like he is holding the D and hammering onto the E, not the Eb.

9. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Rochester, NY
  10. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    First of all, it's definitely Eb tuning, NOT standard. 99% of Motorhead tunes are in dropped tuning, although there's no actual low E in this whole song so you can play it on the 6th fret in standard if you don't wanna detune.

But other than that, the only power chords I hear are in the verses (If you like to gamble...), so you'd be playing a Gb power chord, and then a Db and Cb on the crawl down. At least this is how I play it in my band. I'm pretty sure the main riff is all single notes. Also, the Db in the bridge (right before "Don't forget about the joker) is all power chords.

The key to this tune is just to be as loud and rude sounding as possible.:D Just hammer away at the strings, crank up the gain, and you'll get close.

Edit: that tab isn't very good at all. Lemmy doesn't follow the guitar in the main riff, he just pounds on the Eb (6th fret on the A) the whole time. As for the solo, it follows a Ab - Bb - Ab progression, I usually play them as power chords.

11. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    +1 Whew! Thank God someone got it right! I about pulled out all my hair reading through these posts...Lemmy's gear and bass lines are pretty well documented on TB and the rest of the internet (Ampegs...are you kidding me?!?!). A search might do ya some good.

Sounds like he's playing custom Rickenbackers through Marshall stacks to me ;) - that's just my opinion though. :rollno:

12. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Exactly! Here's how I play it and trust me: IT WORKS.:bassist:

AceOfSpadesbassline01.
    AceOfSpadesbass02.
    AceOfSpadesbass03.

Of course, I don't try to follow the studio version note for note. For instance, in the Db - Cb section ("The pleasure is to play...") it seems that he holds long power chords. I keep striking the same rhythm. The fill after the break section ("But that's the way I like it baby") is also different. Changes are loosely based on live versions (I particularly like this one).

This is one of the very few tunes I play with a pick. Unfortunately, I haven't played it at gigs (just for fun at rehearsals) since I don't have a good bass distortion. I use a Boss OD-2 Turbo Overdrive for guitar. Still thinking if I should get a good bass distortion just for one song (that I like so much).

13. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Alvaro - right on the money dude, that's pretty much exactly how I play it. And it gets 'em moshing live every time.

At least someone here knows what they're talking about when it comes to Motorhead.;)

PS, I use a Sansamp Programmable BDDI for that one (with the gain cranked of course), and it sounds killer. You should check one out if you're looking for some good distortion.

14. CelinderMotoMan

CelinderMotoMan Banned

Apr 4, 2007
    Flint, Mi.
    Except for the fact that the fret positions should be should be 5 & 7s instead of 4 & 6s.

15. CelinderMotoMan

CelinderMotoMan Banned

Apr 4, 2007
    Flint, Mi.
    He is playing open E while hammering on to the 7th fret octave, or at least that what I am seeing when I see the live videos, so yes they are definately tuned down to Eb.

16. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Of course. My transcription shows the way it should be played to sound in the same key without downtuning the instrument. :)