1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Acetone on finish... I messed up...

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by iplayadabass, May 10, 2010.

1. iplayadabass

iplayadabass Guest

Hey All,
    I totally messed up. I read on here that on some little scratches it's ok to use a little bit of sharpie on wood. Well, I did that, and it looks fantastic... although there were a few spots that didn't look so perfect. So I used acetone to get the sharpie off of that spot. I didn't realize that this would cloud the finish. So now I have 2 cloud lines on the finish. It's a gloss finish and it is kind of obvious.

is there any way to get these cloud lines off of the finish? did i just wreck my basses finish?

please help!

thanks in advance

2. The experts are going to need to know a bit more... like what kind of bass that is. There are several different possible finishes if it is a cheaper instrument.

3. iplayadabass

iplayadabass Guest

It is a Gollihur Bulgarian Bass. Great bass for the money... I wish I hadn't tried the acetone... It looks like it is on the clear coat by the way

4. Matthew Tucker

Matthew Tucker Commercial User

Aug 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Owner: Bresque Basses, Sydney Basses and Cellos
    I'd try buffing it lightly with a rag dampened with a little french polish, and a drop of oil.

BTW I find a darker shade of touch-up nearly ALWAYS looks better than a lighter one, or one that almost matches.

5. Cody Sisk

Cody Sisk

Jan 26, 2009
    Lilburn, GA
    Ronald Sachs Violins
    +1

6. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    If I use a Sharpie, I do it by holding the point in a clean rag and letting the material soak up a bit. Then I carefully wipe that spot on the area I want to "stain." This allows me to control the amount of color very carefully and doesn't produce a noticeable spot or line.