SOLD ACF Custom Locust 5, "Winter Build Off 2020" headless/fretless

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by rojo412, Jul 28, 2020.

1. rojo412

rojo412 Sit down, Danny... Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Price:
    $1000
    Strings:
    Fretless:
    • Y
    IMG_7710.jpg
    IMG_7709.jpg
    IMG_7711.jpg
    IMG_7712.jpg
    IMG_7713.jpg
    IMG_7714.jpg
    IMG_7716.jpg
    IMG_7717.jpg

If you want to see the entire project come together, you can start HERE.

This was one of my entries into the Talkbass Luthier's Corner "Winter Build Off 2020 - AIR SPACE". When I was working on this, my entire mindset was to make something super artistic, very "jazzbo geek" in features, and honestly, something that would be very interesting to play and very comfy. And worst case, it would look awesome enough to just become "art".
    It really did turn out that way in the end, it's playable art.

- Black locust body wood, carved out in a very interesting way, "contoured" body shape (arched top and back, 69" radius), grain enhanced, stained and sealed in a simple textured Varathane finish.
    - 3-piece maple/walnut neck, asymmetrical shape profile, headless, TruOil finish.
    - Katalox fingerboard, 69" radius, unmarked, aluminum side markers with brass 12th fret, 33.5" scale.
    - EMG 45TW pickup with vol/tone and pull for split coil on the pickup
    - Magnetic control cover
    - Hipshot headless bridge/tuners, 18mm spaced (adjustable) with a custom-made head piece for using normal strings (double ball doesn't work here). Head area is also wide enough to use the bass in a standard hanging stand/wall hanger.
    - D'Addario Stainless strings
    - 1.825" nut width, weighs a scant 8 lbs and is SUPER comfy to wear.

You can see everything that happened in the build above, but if you want the "post game" report, it turned out AWESOME! Not only is this one of the most comfortable basses I've ever played, it's actually one of the coolest sounding too. Katalox is also known as "Mexican Royal Ebony" and it lives up to it. The stuff actually rates higher than some ebony on the Janka scale, so I wasn't afraid to use roundwounds on this. The result is a "MWAH" machine that cuts right through the mix. I've taken this to band practice a couple times and was blown away by just how expressive it is.

The only downsides I can list are basically just aesthetics. There is one spot on the back where I tried to touch up the finish and the stain wouldn't take.

IMG_7715.jpg
    And there is a "crack" that you can see at the neck pocket. This is NOT a crack that came about, this was an existing crack in the wood that was filled before I started building it. It's filled with epoxy, which in turn is stronger than the wood around it, so I'm not worried about this going anywhere.

IMG_7718.jpg

If you like fretless, this bass is amazing. And that's essentially why I'm parting with it... I don't play fretless much.
    Or, if you like "wood art" it can be set out like a sculpture. It's your world, I'm not here to tell you what to do with it. ;)

I'll find some kind of case for this, but at the moment, I don't have anything here. If you want the bass and would prefer a certain case, I can include your choice of one in the price, within reason. PM me if you have questions on that or anything else.

Asking $1000 shipped to the US 48.
    PM if elsewhere.
    PayPal or Zelle preferred, but others will be considered.
    Not looking for trades, but will entertain them (though I may be picky).

2. RCEdwards

RCEdwards Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Beautiful bass.

How many "frets"?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
    rojo412 likes this.
  3. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    24, with the 24th being essentially the end of the board.

4. RCEdwards

RCEdwards Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2015
    I know you said you would be picky, but I have a like new Fender Road Worn 60's Jazz Bass, fiesta red that is comparable in value to your fretless. Is that something you might consider?

5. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I appreciate the offer, but it's not really my kinda thing.

6. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    SOLD!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
  7. Such a cool instrument.

rojo412 likes this.
  8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021