1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

ACG EQ-01 "filter"-preamp: Can you turn down the resonance to a "normal" level?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ProfFrink, Oct 25, 2015.

Tags:
  1. ProfFrink

ProfFrink

Jan 16, 2015
    I have a Carvin Icon 4-strings that I bought used a few months ago and I love everything about it, except the electronics. It has the standard Carvin soapbars with the newer Carvin 18v preamp and I always thought it is sort of meh. The combination gives a sort of modern tone which I don't object to in principle but it's sort of neither here nor there. A bit too mellow and tame for modern rock stuff and not mellow enough for "smooth jazz" type of sounds. I hope I'm making myself clear (??). Also the tonal options are limited and he interaction between the pickups is a bit weird. There seems to little point to panning.

Also the sweepable mids knob stuck is partly stuck, which is frustrating.

I already have a new set of the newer radiused j-style Carvin soapbars from Carvin here and I'm wondering what to do for a pre-amp...

I'm looking at the ACG EQ-01, and it's definitely expensive but I like the basic idea. My question is this:

Will this preamp allow me to get a classic transparent tone from these pickups with the resonance knobs turned down, or am I locking myself into Wal-type weirdness with this preamp?

(It's not that I object to the weirdness - I like the idea, but I also want to be able to extract the more classic tones)

Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
  2. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Sure, there's a separate control to turn the resonance down to zero, so there's no boost at the filter cutoff frequency.

Just be aware that you can't really to what the standard 3-band does and cut or boost one specific frequency range without affecting the others.

3. ProfFrink

ProfFrink

Jan 16, 2015
    Great. I actually got a similar response from Alan himself. I think I can definitely live with this limitation (that's basically what I would have gotten with a passive tone anyway, and I almost always have at least one EQ pedal in my chain anyway). The thing that I find most compelling about this design (at least in theory, because I obviously never played one) is the ability to control the shaping of each pickup individually and the ability to also do some more aggressive shaping (while still allowing me to get the "classic" sounds).

I think I may just bite the bullet. Any idea how/where to get a good price for these?

4. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    If you want to have a separate filter for each pickup, you want the 01, not the 02. i don't think the 02 is still being sold new, but there are probably a few used ones floating around.

For a new EQ-01, BestBassGear is probably the place, unless you happen to get lucky and find a used one somewhere.

ProfFrink likes this.
  5. I've got a EQ01 in my warwick streamer - yes you can turn the resonance down/off to loose much of the Wal type filter thing that you get going on. It's not going to ever sound like a "normal" preamp - but that's a good thing. I usually have mine set with the filters almost wide open, resonance off.... and it sound so so so good.

One of the best bass buys ever.

6. come have a play if you're anywhere near me!