1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ACG EQ01 and pickup questions.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Kurtis Marleau, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Kurtis Marleau

Kurtis Marleau

Jan 8, 2015
    Barrie, Ontario, Canada
    Glass Iris
    So like many of you out there I have also fallen in love with the tone of unique basses such as the Wal and the Alembic. I am currently running an Ibanez SR500. It's a gorgeous (mahogany) bass and my first higher grade instrument. I use a GK Mb500 through a Gk CX210 cabinet. I am in love with my current tone... Until I hear a Wal.

So I have been looking into it for a number of years and purchasing a Wal is simply out of the question. As much as I would love a custom built instrument the almost two year wait time is a huge setback for me.
    Like many of you I have also looked into alternatives. I've considered buying used. But people don't typically sell Wal's. I have considered looking into a separate brand name but price has always made me hesitant.
    My bass uses a 3 knob active EQ preamp with two Bartoloni Mk1 pickups. The other two knobs are a pickup blend and a volume.

The ACG EQ01 is a low pass filter preamp similarly built like the ones they use in Wal basses and Alembic basses. The only thing that is missing is the multi-coil pickups that Wal is also famous for.

I'm new to the world of pickups and desire to learn more. I've always been a "stock pickups" kind of bassist. (I'm sure that makes a lot of you cringe...) I'm just hesitant with the thought of purchasing new pickups because I have an unexplainable fear that I will not like the new sound.

I have heard very few demo's on the ACG system. All of the demo's I have heard have been played with the fingers. I'd like to hear some demo's with a pick and/or slapped.

Also if you can give me any recommendations for something similar to that multi-coil pickup sound in a soapbar style I would be appreciative. Thanks!

TLDR: I am looking for an ACG EQ01 demo played with a pick and/or slapped. And I am looking for soapbar pickup recommendations that may come close to that of a Wal.

2. Skelf

Skelf

Apr 15, 2005
    Moffat D&G Scotland
    Builder AC Guitars.
    If you have a look at the demos in the link below both have a slap section and the 5 string has a pic section.

Both have filter pre-amps the 5 an SEQ and the 6 a DFM both feature ACG B Series pickups not the MC multi coils. There is a demo in the media section that has the DFM and the MC pickups but it is finger style. More MC/DFM vids in the pipeline.

ACG Demo videos by Cocos Basement. | AC Guitars

blindrabbit likes this.
  3. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    I find the ACG gets you really close to the Wal sound - I can't say *how* close exactly because I don't have a Wal to A/B.
    If I were you, I'd try the preamp with your current pickups. Then if you still want more, you can get some multi-coils.

4. PDX Mathias

PDX Mathias

Nov 25, 2014
    Portland, OR
    I'm a big fan of the ACG filter preamps. The beauty of them, in my opinion, is that you can set the resonant frequency wherever you want, as well as control the amount of that resonance. This allows you to give the pickup nearly any character you like.
    So with that in mind, I'd recommend any pickup that doesn't have a very strong personality of its own. Since the preamp imparts so much character, it frankly doesn't matter quite as much how the pickups sound on their own, so most likely you would get good results with your stock pickups.
    That said, I've never played, or even seen, a Wal bass.