1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ACG Finn for Bob

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Skelf, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Skelf

Skelf

Apr 15, 2005
    Moffat D&G Scotland
    Builder AC Guitars.
    Just getting this build under way.

Another killer finger board from Larry.

Spec
    Okoume top with 4 mm wenge accent on to a swamp ash body.
    3 piece flame maple neck with an acrylic impregnated figured bubinga finger board.
    Amber LEDS on the side of the neck.
    ACG RFB pickup and a Hipshot piezo bridge.
    Pickup feeding one of the filters in the ACG EQ01 pre-amp with the piezo feeding the other filter.
    2915524428_03ba4b9716.
    2915400736_0f0fd2bb89.
    2915400740_f8cccd7cf1.
    2915400726_9d8b03ce13.

2. Skelf

Skelf

Apr 15, 2005
    Moffat D&G Scotland
    Builder AC Guitars.
    Beginning to look more bass like now.

3019860293_50156cb1eb.
    3019860297_0c6bb08337.

3. Skelf

Skelf

Apr 15, 2005
    Moffat D&G Scotland
    Builder AC Guitars.
    A few finger boards slotted including the one for this bass.

From the top.
    All acrylic impregnated from Gallery Hardwoods.

Flame Sycamore.
    Mac Ebony.
    Bubinga.
    3025509060_29cc2a5447.

4. eleonn

eleonn

Aug 24, 2006
    Lima - PerĂº
    Isnt not-acrylized mac ebony hard enough for a fretboard?

5. Oh my. That bubinga is utterly amazing.

6. my thoughts exactly...man o man

7. Skelf

Skelf

Apr 15, 2005
    Moffat D&G Scotland
    Builder AC Guitars.
    Indeed it is but the process also increases the woods stability and reduces any effect that moisture may have on the wood so it has other benefits other than just hardness. I have a fretless bass going to Singapore next year and we have gone for an acrylic board more for stability reasons than hardness. There will be a big difference in the humidity there so one of Larry's boards will do no harm in keeping the neck stable.
    The Bubinga is one of the best looking boards I have had from Larry and that is saying something. Once it has been sanded and polished it should look even better.
    Alan

8. Skelf

Skelf

Apr 15, 2005
    Moffat D&G Scotland
    Builder AC Guitars.
    Round overdone so you can see the wenge accent line. The finger board ahs been slotted and the truss rod and carbon have been sorted out.

3065438659_c4aa430cbe.

9. Hi Alan,

Thats a lot of Finn basses youve got on at the moment, thats a really nice shape!

Really nice choice of timbers too :D

10. DanielM

DanielM

Jan 6, 2007
    Holland
    looking great Alan, I do agree with the others in that the Finn is a great shape. I must slim down my design(s) down a bit sometime...

there's something great about the simplicity of that ash by the way. really great. unsurprising to you, but I really love that Mac Ebony board too.

11. Skelf

Skelf

Apr 15, 2005
    Moffat D&G Scotland
    Builder AC Guitars.
    Seems to be a popular shape judging from the order I have received for it. This will be as close to a conventional shape as I will be going. Bob was looking for something simple to show of the finger board more so credit goes to him for his choices.
    Alan

12. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nice Okume top Alan! I have a crotched Okume top from Larry on hold with Brian Ristola. Very nice stuff. I love that new shape of yours as well....

13. Skelf

Skelf

Apr 15, 2005
    Moffat D&G Scotland
    Builder AC Guitars.
    That one came from Larry. Nice wood to work with and gives you light coloured wood that is not maple.
    Alan