1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ACG Finn for Rik

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Skelf, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Skelf

Skelf

Apr 15, 2005
    Moffat D&G Scotland
    Builder AC Guitars.
    Just about to start this bass.
    Quilt maple front and back with a bubinga core.
    Green burst finish.
    Wenge/maple neck with the maple the same colour as the body.
    2 ACG RFB pickups with coil switching and the ACG EQ01 pre-amp.

render was done by Sugden and is basically what I will be shooting for in colour and the burst.

2865999834_05887dfcb3.

Front
    2865200459_34d2308873.
    Back
    2865200461_3eac997c00.
    Fingerboard from Larry at Gallery.
    2865200465_afe0da2a6a.

2. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    Very nice....Subscribed!

3. charic

charic

Apr 17, 2006
    Cambridge
    Didnt realise you were on here too alan :D cant wait till this one gets underway. That neck started up closer to me than it is now :meh:

4. LOVE IT!

5. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Nice. Is this your first colored bass? I seem to only remember lots of top-notch nplain woods.

6. Skelf

Skelf

Apr 15, 2005
    Moffat D&G Scotland
    Builder AC Guitars.
    Not the first one. There is the bass below and a few early guitars but you are right not to many.

1268886024_45c5be0589.

7. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    Jeez Alan... you seem to have a monopoly over the best woods from Larry! Beautiful stuff - I need to think up an excuse to order a bass from you soon... :p

8. Skelf

Skelf

Apr 15, 2005
    Moffat D&G Scotland
    Builder AC Guitars.
    Rusty
    I can supply you with a list of reasonable excuses for bass ordering;).
    Just sorting out a bass which will be going to your part of the world. I will start a build thread when the details have been finalised.
    Alan

9. itzs

itzs

May 5, 2005
    Singapore
    Yeah, you know you want one. :D

10. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Stop it! :bawl: Youre killing me with these awesome basses! I want one.

11. Not a monopoly, rusty just good business planning and execution!!! This pallet of instrument wood will be on it's way to Scotland shortly for AC Guitars. Over 1500 pounds of body blanks and top woods for his stock inventory!!! This doesn't take into account the 20 pr 30 acrylic fingerboards he has in stock allready!! A substantial buisness investment!!!!

Alan takes his instrument quality and business longevity plans very seriously and he understands that acclimation of wood to his shop conditions is very important as supposed to "just in time" wood orders most builders do.

Attached Files:

12. Skelf

Skelf

Apr 15, 2005
    Moffat D&G Scotland
    Builder AC Guitars.
    Hi Larry
    Christmas and birthday all rolled into one when the pallet arrives and once again my thanks for all the time you have put into sorting out this for me it will not be forgotten.

As I am sure anyone that looks in on my builds will know most of the excellent woods I use are supplied by Gallery. Having looked at the basses that JP was building I decided very early on that his supplier was the man for me,that has been one of the best business decisions I have made to date. Aside from the wood itself I have also learned a great deal from talking to and listening to someone who really knows his subject inside out this I have found invaluable helping me along the way to making the best basses I can. I have always made a point of trying to access the right people so that if I don't know the answer I know someone that does. Larry along with John East and Aaron Armstrong have been a great help to me and have answered a load of daft questions and been very generous with their knowledge and time.
    Cheers
    Alan

13. subscribed!

14. Fasoldt Basses

Fasoldt Basses

Mar 22, 2005
    Stevens Point, WI
    Karl Thompson, Builder (Formerly Fat Karl)
    Oh, man - I can't imagine the fun you'll have opening up that package, Allan! What a blast!

15. Skelf

Skelf

Apr 15, 2005
    Moffat D&G Scotland
    Builder AC Guitars.
    FK
    One of the best bits in this bass building game.

16. Skelf

Skelf

Apr 15, 2005
    Moffat D&G Scotland
    Builder AC Guitars.
    Neck blank finished now on to the channels for the truss rods and the carbon.

2915366018_042666b0ba.

17. Skelf

Skelf

Apr 15, 2005
    Moffat D&G Scotland
    Builder AC Guitars.
    That is the body cut from the blank so beginning to look more like a bass now.
    3059711816_1be46f51b2.

18. Skelf

Skelf

Apr 15, 2005
    Moffat D&G Scotland
    Builder AC Guitars.
    Round over done and the finger board slotted.

3065438677_cbee976c3c.

3065438685_e1886a7089.