1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Acheiving That RATM Sound

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by plastik-bass[?], Jan 1, 2008.

1. (I'm sorry if this has been posted before..like im sure it has been but in my search attempts i found nothing...also sorry if this is the wrong section but i went w/ this one because i figured a i couldnt be wrong w/ misc.)

OK. Well my band is wanting to do some RATM covers and also we are kinda looking for that deep kinda growly tone that Tim Commerford has, not to mention i love his playing and tone.

I dont want any of these "You need to look for your own sound and not try to sound like someone else" posts... I mean we are doing RATM covers so i figure getting my bass to sound has close to his as possible would be a good thing.

My current bass is a MIM Jazz, I also have an Ibanez..i dont know the model but it has a P/J setup and was made in 91' (if that will help anyone)

Thanks in Advance :bassist::bassist::bassist:

once again sorry if this has been posted before or is wrong section

2. bluestarbass

bluestarbass

Jul 31, 2007
    Indianapolis
    His tone is really hard to cop for 2 reasons:

1. He changed his rig for almost every album. Unlike morello Timmy C loved completely starting over from a rig standpoint.

2. Hes very secretive about what he plays, and he does wierd eccentric stuff to his gear. He has some homemade FX pedals and he took his pickups out and rewound them by hand, I assume overwinding them to get them hotter.

A jazz bass or stingray were the 2 basses he played. Get a good distortion pedal, and a pretty big boomy amp and youll get most of the way there.

3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021