Achieve this bass tone using a jazz bass!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Mtoklitz22, Oct 23, 2020.

1. Is it possible to get this bass tone using a fender squier jazz bass without any fancy amplifiers or Pre Amps? Can this be done using Amp sims or any FXs? Please do let me know guys. This was played using a Dingwall bass guitar.

hieronymous likes this.
  2. Mushroo

Mushroo

Apr 2, 2007
    Can you post a recording, of your progress so far learning this song, so we can give you specific advice? We can't really tell you "turn up your bass EQ!" or "turn down your treble EQ!" if we haven't heard how you sound. Does that make sense, is that reasonable?

Generally my approach to such difficult songs, is to first learn to play the correct notes, accurately at the right time. Then once I can play the song fluently, figuring out the settings for the right tone is the last piece of the puzzle. If I can't play the song yet, then no sense worrying about the tone. This is especially true for the parts of the song where the bass is doubling the guitar and/or keys: If you aren't accurately playing the same thing as the other instruments, then it's never going to sound good, because the overall tone of the song, is the sum of all the different instruments (not just the bass alone in isolation).

To end on a helpful note, yes, I'm sure a pro player could achieve similar tone on a Jazz bass. It reminds me of the "Geddy Lee" family of tones, and Geddy is a Jazz bass player. Have you studied Rush before? Do you know any of their songs?

Your path forward will probably involve fresh roundwound strings and heavy compression. If you show up for the audition knowing every note of this song and with an aggressive Jazz-bass tone, I guarantee you will get the gig. Good luck!

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
    Peter Torning likes this.
  3. Sheldon D.

Sheldon D. Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 3, 2001
    If it's for home recording IK Multimedia has something that might work. Their metal tone is based on our basses.

IK Multimedia - MODO BASS

Reedt2000, steelbed45 and Mushroo like this.
  4. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    Its an Ibanez played through a sansamp/darkglass. But, you can probably get there with a jazz bass with stainless rounds. Get a sansamp/darkglass pedal and some stainless rounds. Itd also be a lot better if you swapped your singles for inline splits though. Itd give you more of the modern soapbar tone. But, not really necessary.

gebass6 and Mushroo like this.
  5. Vinny_G

Vinny_G

Dec 1, 2011
    Neustria
    I don't think so. This is the typical sound of a multi-scale bass. Even with all the plugins in the world, I don't think a Squier Jazz Bass can reproduce that piano string sound. This doesn't mean you shouldn't try, you might be able to achieve something similar.

Chrisk-K, Reedt2000 and Wasnex like this.
  6. HardNHeavy

HardNHeavy

Apr 17, 2014
    PA
    u might with a ton of effects

Rip Van Dan likes this.
  7. Rip Van Dan

Rip Van Dan DNA Endorsing Artist Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Duvall, WA
    That sounds like a heavily overlayed bass track to me. Obviously there's distortion in it and also sounds like some heavy compression, along with a clear (no effects) signal underneath it all. And it is either playing along with the synth or it's a synth bass that is originating the sound. Or perhaps it's a synth bass triggered by a midi track. If you're playing in a group, I would suggest you supply the clean bottom on the track which should be pretty easy to set up, while the synth provides the distortion+compression+octave sounds to match your bass line.

Mushroo likes this.
  8. Typical prog bass tone.

Now, any kind of research would have led you to a YouTube clip where the bassist in question plays the exact song and tells you the exact plugin he uses to get his tone.

Are you going to get that exact tone? Probably not. Can you come close-ish? Yeah, sure. Is it going to be cheap? Well the plugins at hand cost more than a Squier Affinity Jazz all together.

Oh and...
    PLEASE don't rip clips of peoples music and re-upload them elsewhere on the net, especially with no title or artist mentioned.
    (Edit: It just occurred to me that you probably didn't post that clip... my bad!)

9. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    The tone is very soapbar-ey, that's true, but there's no meaningful barrier between you and that kind of sound on a Jazz except for technique. Bassists, guitar players, other musicians, might notice the difference in pickups if you quiz them on it but it's not common for anyone to police you on this lol, colors of tone this small don't mean much to anyone listening to the music. It sounds like you'd need some pretty zingy & fresh roundwounds and an aggressive technique, either a hard 3mm pick or thumb slapping. Scoop the mids a bit (heresy!) and HI GAIN probably an overdrive.

RocknRay likes this.
  10. Rip Van Dan

Rip Van Dan DNA Endorsing Artist Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Duvall, WA
    Well, nice vid but he didn't say one word in it. Went to YouTube and he had the info posted below the video. Here's what he used:

Gear:
    Dingwall NG2

Plugins Used:
    Peridot Pro (Mid-Gain Tones) https://shop.audified.com/cke3S61iT1K...
    Sphene Pro (Hi-Gain Tones) https://shop.audified.com/TIzjPgDMCGO...
    GK Amplification 2 Pro (Cleans) https://shop.audified.com/Gt7p8hg1KCV...
    Tonespot Bass Pro (Lo-End Processing) https://shop.audified.com/JFn5WjZIwRd...

11. sotua

sotua

Sep 20, 2004
    Somewhere in time
    You can get in the ballpark with zingy strings, and a mix of a clear track and a heavily distorted and compressed track. Many tutorials for that one in youtube. One I like for simplicity is Ola Englund's old "recording metal bass at home" or something like that.

12. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    i feel this is pretty close, especially for a 34" scale with lipstick pickups that's painted pepto pink.....

i used my "djent" setting on my pod hd500x. very underrated piece of equipment imho. forgive the terrible playing, just throwing something up quick before bed. the first part is fingers, the 2nd part is pick in drop D.

20201023_221649.jpg

Vinny_G likes this.
  13. VolverseLoco

VolverseLoco

Aug 27, 2018
    Las Vegas
    I just finished chasing that same tone and it cost me a brand new Dingwall Combustion, a DarkGlass Microtubes X, a Source Audio SA270 EQ pedal, an MXR white compression pedal and a TC Electronics BQ500 watt amp head pushing a 15" cabinet. I probably didnt quite need a ll that, but I was on a quest.I am no Adam Nolly by any means, but I can honestly say I got it! I have that exact tone, but I certainly paid for it. I just ran my Jackson JS3 bass through the same rig, same settings and I don't have that tone. Its the multi-scale bass for one. I can just hear it in the bass when I pick the strings with no amp at all. Matter of fact, I can see it in the Dingwall how the E string just wobbles and vibrates endlessly. Oh the sustain out of tht Dingwall! Its the scale thing going on. I don't get that out of my Jackson, no way. That guy who used the pink bass here, kudos to him, his recording sounds real close, real close. Watch all the videos on the YouTube. One of the keys is the high pass and low pass filters, thus leaving the clean low bottom end with no distortion and the distortion only applied to the mids really. Someone said it sounded 'layered', it kinda is with that split going on. Study how they do that on any DarkGlass video. Let us know how you make out because I know there are a whole mess of guys who want that sound but don't have access to a Dingwall bass.

Vinny_G likes this.
  14. nilorius

nilorius Inactive

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    I don't think Squire j-bass could do it, that's why there is Dingwall on the other side.

15. I hear an octave-type effect, roundwound strings, and lots of compression among other things

16. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    Here
    That sounds like one of these. I think its the Loki but it could be the Kraken with the Forge setting

17. TheSeagoats

TheSeagoats

May 21, 2015
    Maryland
    Sounds like a tone that may be pretty difficult to replicate with just one amp since it sounds like there's a few layers to the track. Here's a video where the guy goes over what he's using for the tones.

BioWeapon likes this.
  18. The 80/20 rule applied here says you can get 80% of the tone you seek with 20% of the cash investment. Who is your audience? I would guess your guitarist and drummer would be much less discriminating on the fine points of your sound. Can you play the line on your Squier with excellent accuracy, time & feel?

Mushroo likes this.
  19. Willie5String

Willie5String

Dec 23, 2018
    Bridge pickup, full tone, popping rather than plucking with low action, I could get that tone all day long and I’m not particularly talented, as a matter of fact, that’s the exact tone I avoid.
    I should add that it sounds good in that context, but I personally am not a huge fan of that clanky sound of rounds rattling off of frets.

Doesn’t represent the sound in my head at all

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
    RocknRay likes this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 23, 2021