Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

achieving round neck ends...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by JSPguitars, May 19, 2005.

1. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    I'm totally clueless as to how to make tight, snug templates for my neck-ends and neck pocket joints. I was planning on just gluing the necks in, and I want a nice tight fit (of course).......anyone have an answer for me? Seems like it ought to be pretty simple, but I just can't see it in my head yet.
    :confused:

2. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Hey, how's the weather in Santa Cruz today?

Geez, that was helpful, wasn't it?

3. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    heh, yeah. Tons! ;)
    it's trying to get sunny. It's overcast. Quite humid after a nice drizzle last night.
    Rain is good, just not when you're on vacation :spit:

4. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca

The first year the music center opened at UCSC, it rained in unGodly amounts. It seeped under the hillside and came up through the tiles in one of the rooms. That absolutely sucked.

5. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    RE. ´neck ends, just make them with well aligned straight edges.
    Then use the Koch method for the pocket. http://www.buildyourguitar.com/
    Well, it might be invented by somebody else, but there's where I found it. Very clever!

6. I have installed both, it's not hard to make rounded neck end templates made of mdf. I made the pocket routed via a 1/2" bit and used that for the radius, then I filed the square ends of the 'tenon' until it fit snuggly. Also, another thing I'm trying is fitting the neck square to the body (squared the pocket with a chisel) and then locating the front pickup so that it overlaps the neck ...of course, the neck goes way into the body ~3-4"

7. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    thx for the replies...
    I decided to just make some templates from 1/4" mdf and round the corners using my spindle sander and hand sanding til the template fit the pocket nice and snug.
    Seems to have worked out alright.
    My only instrument I've built had a neck with straight corners and it required a bit of gap filling as my chiseling skills weren't, and still aren't, 'professional'.