Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acid Jazz

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by relman, Mar 22, 2002.

1. I've seen this term being thrown around a lot...but who would you say are the best portrayers of such genre???

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Brand New Heavies and Jamiroquai are probably the most famous to come out of this - there was a movement in London in the 90s, where the sax/brass players from the Jazz scene would form the horn section for funk-style groups and come up with slightly more complex arramgements.

I thought it was funny when BNHs first toured the US everybody there thought that their music was actually sampled! ;)

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Probably one of the best albums IMO is the first (and only) Raw Stylus.
    My favorite track is Prince of Peace by Galliano.

Another must-have are the Incognito albums. Randy Hope-Taylor (and others) play great grooves on there.

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Incognito is my fav... Brand New Heavies are good too

5. without a doubt I would have to say "squarepusher." His last album is pure acid jazz, his others are much more like electronic dance music. Plus he plays a fretless live.

6. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    Groove Collective make nice music.

also check out the James Taylor Quartet if you want to hear the "old-school" of acid Jazz (spy and mafia movie music).

Rad Snapper were nice too for that half electronic half acoustic acid jazz.

7. Ciaran

Ciaran

Apr 4, 2001
    Ireland
    Corduroy

nuff said.

8. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    late 60's miles davis, mahavishnu orchestra..these are what come to my mind when i hear acid jazz...

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well that predates Acid Jazz by a long way and is usually classed in with "Fusion" - in fact it is usually cited as a classic example of "Jazz/Rock Fusion"!

Acid Jazz is "lighter" more danceable music that contains elements of Funk and Jazz, but is more contemporary in its influences.

While I have virtually every album that John McLaughlin released and love his stuff with the Mahavishnu - you would have a hard time dancing to most of it! ;)

10. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Even to this day, the real creator of Acid Jazz never gets his due! That would be Roy Ayers!!! Whom, BTW, groups like BNH, Jami, Bass Is Base, Omar, Incognito, Inner Shade, Swing Out Sister, etc., are influenced by.

11. Hmmm...these are the ones I know and like a lot:
    Jamiroquai, Brand New Heavies, Incognito, Groove Colective, James Taylor Quartet, Corduroy, Omar, Sinclair, Cool Hipnoise, Count Basic, Los Amigos Invisibles.

12. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Los Amigos RULES!!!!

13. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    At a different site, I asked a British bass player(Jimmy J...he sometimes posts here @TB)-

About Acid Jazz-
    I said, "I get the "Acid" part, where does the "Jazz" part fit into the equation"?
    (See I had heard the term used with The Brand New Heavies & Jamiroquai, too. IMO, their stuff, which I really like, is retro-'70s R&B/Funk. Nuthin really new under The Sun, at least, to me). ;)

Jimmy J said, "That's because you're getting the watered-down version in The States".

Here's a definition outta Stuart Nicholson's Jazz-Rock: A History-
    "Acid Jazz is little more than a glossy handle for 1990's retro Funk, which, because of its close affinity to the dance floor, is a potpourri of James Brown, 1970's Disco, Soul, Rap, easy Listening, & very New Heavies, Ronnie Jordan, Us3, Guru, Digable Planets, etc"

14. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Chucky-
    I have also heard Grant Green's name/music tossed about as "Acid Jazz"...he predates Ayers by at least a decade, right?

...and I still don't get Green's music as "Acid Jazz". ;)

15. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Bruce-
    You have obviously never met Sean.
    For an ex-drummer/biker-type, he really has some riddim goin' on... ;)

16. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...and one more thing-
    Goin' back to my early '70s Rock daze; there was also something called Acid Rock.

Attempting to use the same logic as applied to Rock-
    For me, & this is not 'right' by any stretch, bands like The Screaming Headless Torsos are "Acid Jazz"...they take Jazz tunes & re-invent them in an Acid sorta way(IMO). ;)
    Further, bands of that caliber use some of the "Jazz" language in their methods.

NEXT!