1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Acme 12" rumors........True or False

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by g4string, Apr 28, 2009.

1. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    I heard some buzz about 12" loaded Acme cabs in a previous thread of mine........is this just a rumor, or is their truth to this. Are we talking 112's, 212's, or maybe even a 412 Acme:eek:

2. Mo'Phat

Mo'Phat Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    You should email or call Andy. If anybody here actually knew, they'd probably reply to your other thread.

When I spoke with Andy years ago, he was as friendly as could be and chatted for about 10 minutes about anything I asked.

3. I believe a forumite over @ Harmony Central (Kindness; here as well) has mentioned that Acme are looking into producing 12" cabs, perhaps he'll chime in.

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Oooooh. I'd like to know more about a Acme 12".

5. Kindness

Kindness

Oct 1, 2003
    Chicago
    I've talked to him about his upcoming 1x12 and 2x12 designs. I have no information about when they may be offered - just that he's working on them.

6. I can absolutely confirm that new Acme cabs with 12" drivers are in the works. I will add a little more in a few days if I can.

Bluesy Soul :cool:

7. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Any specifics? Any idea on what to expect? Any anything?

8. I'm sorry. I'm not trying to be coy or mysterious. I expect to see Andy in the next few days and will recount anything he permits me to share.

Bluesy Soul :cool:

9. g4string

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    That would be way cool!!!

10. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    I can't wait to see these!

11. riker1384

riker1384

Jan 2, 2007
    I would imagine that since Acme uses a 3-way design and generally designs for fidelity, I wouldn't expect them to sound much different unless they were making an entirely new line of cabinets.

12. i've heard the same rumors as most of you... neo 12s...

i'm a huge fan of 12s. but as neutral sounding as acmes are supposed to be, i can't get excited about this one. a neutral 10 cab should sound the same as a neutral 12 cab... unless of course the 12s offer better performance, particularly in the realm of efficiency.

13. g4string

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    However, this begs the question will 12's be less susceptible to the infamous cone creasing of his 10's??? I know the creasing is an issue for some people who use his cabs. Just curious if 12's would be a little more "sturdy"??

14. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Given the kind of stuff that's being done with the new eminence 12/15 neos I'd expect a big increase in performance, and reliability.

15. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    You can't actually get any more efficiency out of a cab of that size and deep bass response.

Alex

16. g4string

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    If the 12's will help solve the creasing issues, than he has something spectacular going on

17. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    My understanding is the creasing is due to having a fairly small difference between Xmax and Xlim -- so you damage stuff fairly quickly after exceeding xmax. The Kappalite speakers for instance have a huge margin of error. The 3012LF has 5.4mm leeway and the 3015LF has 8.4.

I could be mistaken there, as I don't really have a deep understanding of the situation.

I want to say the Acme speakers were designed 15-ish years ago or so though, so chances are good something better's come along. :)

18. Lonnybass

Lonnybass

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    Cool! In related news, Con Edison is introducing a new 4-space, rackmountable nuclear reactor capable of generating 500,000,000 watts of power at 4 ohms. :cool:

Lonnybass

19. g4string

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    The top 2/3's of that made no sense to me:smug:......the bottom 1/3 is more my speed:)

20. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    My understanding of it (simple) is that when you exceed xmax, you get distortion. When you exceed xlim you get mechanical damage.

The problem with a lot of speakers out there is that they exceed xmax long (long!!) before they exceed their thermal handling. Xlim, too. Most speakers you see in bass cabinets start suffering damage waaaay before they exceed their supposed wattage (so take that 2000w behringer 8x10 with a grain of salt ;).

Hope that is informative and accurate - pretty much just repeating stuff I've read from the more knowledgeable guys.