1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Acme 2x12 prototype test

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bluesy Soul, Jun 11, 2012.

1. acme.jpg

Many or most of you have seen this image by now. I don't know how many have heard the story behind it. It was intended to demonstrate, of course, that the Acme 2x12 is so light even a small child can lift it. Well, the day Andy's photographer was scheduled to shoot this pic, the little girl who was originally supposed to lift the cab for the photo--and who had done so many times before--became ill; so the pic was shot instead with her twin brother, whom you see above. (I trust all the correct feminist groups will accept my sincerest apologies for even suggesting that the young lass might not be as strong.)

I finally had an opportunity to try out this 2x12 prototype Saturday night. I can't give as complete a review as I'd like because, for reasons too lengthy and boring to recount, I wasn't able to use a head larger than my Eden 300B, a 300-watt, all-tube integrated amplifier. Even though I wasn't able to stretch it out power-wise, the 2x12 was--from a tone standpoint--another wunderkab from the mind and designs of Andy Lewis.

I often play with a pair of Acme 1x12s: two Flatwounds, or a Flatwound and a FullRange. There is no question the 2x12 is from the same tonal family. It has a front-firing, 12" FullRange speaker and a concentric, rear-firing, 12" FlatWound speaker in a laminate box the size of the Low B-4 cabinet. The box has been re-tuned and braced, of course, for the back-to-back speaker configuration. I found the tone wonderfully deep, thick and full; yet clear and articulate. My favorite. Always thick and full; yet plenty of clarity for 16th and 32nd note passages, pick-up notes, etc. When I needed to dial in a little grind or some additional mids or treble, those sounds were right there.

We were playing a medium-sized club, so my 300-watt Eden was enough power for the room. I'm anxious to try the 2x12 in a larger venue with one of my Crest amp rack rigs (1,000 and 2000 watts). We have an outdoor gig in a couple of months that might provide that opportunity. I would expect to normally use an 800- or 1,000-watt head with this cab, as I do now for a FullRange/FlatWound stack.

This cab is so light--less than 50 lbs.--largely due to Andy's use of laminate materials instead of the plywood from which the FullRange and FlatWound are built. I loaded it out with one hand with no problem. The laminate is significantly more expensive, however, and Andy is still undecided about whether to offer both a plywood and a laminate version. In either event, the cab will have the same Duratex finish, polyswitches, combo jack and other Acme Series III features. The handles are the same inset-on-the-side type as the Low B-4 cab.

My last observation: While the 2x12 is clearly the tonal sibling of the FullRange and FlatWound, it sounded even better to me than a FullRange, Flatwound or mixed pair. It's still hard for me to describe this after only one outing, but it seems to have even greater thickness and richness with no loss of clarity.

I know we're all anxiously awaiting the Bass Gear review of the FullRange and FlatWound. I hope Tom will be able to test this "Evil Twin" in the near future as well.

Thanks again, Andy, for such a great-sounding, well-designed and beautifully-executed cabinet.

2. MarkA

MarkA In the doghouse. Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Looks pretty cool. Interested to hear more as you get more time with it.

3. Will Kelly

Will Kelly

Mar 3, 2010
    TX
    Can't wait to hear one.

4. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Nice preliminary review! Sub'd for more info once you put some more mileage on it!

5. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    Its nice to see that some cab designers are building with acoustic design in mind as opposed to just visual appeal. BFM's frequent refrain is that company's do certain things because thats the way its been done, or because of what a buyer wants to see.

Andy has been doing nice 3 way cabs tailored for a niche bass market for a while now... nice to see he is at it using the next generation of drivers / components and is thinking "out side the box" , if you will.

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1 I hope so, too! :D :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :cool:

BTW, issue #8 went to print last week, so it should be done fairly soon! :cool:

7. Tom - Is that Issue 8 in your avatar? I tried to get on the magazine website but it doesn't load. I'm guessing its currently being uploaded or something?

8. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Yes, that is the cover from issue #8. The website is going through the final stages of its major revamp, and it is getting moved to a new host, so it may be up/down a bit here in the short term.

9. Cool thanks!

10. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    Does this cab & the 112 FullRange both have HF driver attenuators?

11. No attenuator on my Fullrange. Much more upper treble information than the B210, etc.

12. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas

:(

That's why I asked -- very apparent in the clips I've heard & a bit over the top for my taste.

I guess that's what EQ is for.

13. KJung is correct. There is no attenuator on either the FullRange or the Evil Twin (2x12), but the frequency range of the 12" drivers goes noticeably higher than the 10" drivers in the Low-B series.

I prefer a deeper, lower old-school type tone profile; but occasionally I need a tone with more mods and highs. When I do, the EQ from my bass and/or my preamp have always provided more than enough and the FullRange and Evil Twin (and in my case, even the Flatwound) have always been able to reproduce it.

14. +1 That tweeter doesn't really kick in until quite high into the treble range, so most amps' treble controls work well to just dial out a bit of the sizzle while keeping the upper mids and lower treble intact.

I didn't find it to be an issue.

15. y'know Ken, it pleases me that you have another Acme in your stable. :D

16. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Even though it's for sale?

17. I've enjoyed that cab quite a bit, but have sold almost everything at this point. Even my beloved Berg AE410 is on the block. I'm down to a couple of basses and a few cabs at this point, as I continue to wind it down! I have the Fullrange sitting down at Gravity Strings in St. Louis waiting for a new home (along with the AE410).

It is a beautiful cab, but the Thunderchild just speaks to me a bit more. Less fussy with power requirements, and no need for extra hi passing, and a bit more even up top. That being said, I like the new Neo models much more than the original 10's and they are lighter as a bonus!

Love trying all this stuff out!

18. Finally my G-K MB800 arrived and I'm playing a venue on Friday night that is large enough to use the Acme 2X12 prototype. For my preliminary review of this cab, I used a 300-watt, all-tube Eden. I'm anxious to have nearly three times the power to drive it this time (yes, I'm aware of "tube watts" vs solid-state watts). I believe, and Andy confirms, that the 2x12 should be capable of handling 1000 watts or more; but 800 watts will be plenty in this venue.

If it's not too inconvenient, I may also bring and set up a Flatwound/Full Range pair and compare that pair to the 2x12. I'll post a report as early next week as I can.

19. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    AWESOME -- does Andy have a ballpark for when these will hit production? I know he's usually (rightly) sheepish about estimates, but curious how far out he thinks he might be.

20. I have never heard Andy express even a guesstimate for the intro date. He has a lot going on right now and, personally, I'd be surprised if it were available until some time next year. Andy listens to his customers, however, and if he receives enough e-mails or phone calls expressing interest, he'll respond to that interest.