Acme and extreme EQ settings

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MacheteJames, Sep 26, 2004.

1. I've got an Acme B4. I'm pretty happy with it, it has absolutely tremendous low end, and I love how all of my basses take on an individual personality through it.

There's just one problem: with the cabs being flat and transparent, they seem to be kind of easy to bury in a mix. If I were to get a decent parametric or 15 band EQ, could I notch myself some frequencies that get me heard better? With that separate midrange driver and a real, high quality tweeter, I'd imagine that these cabs could get some pretty nice high mids and highs in the 1000hz+ range... I just don't want to blow out the attenuators on it. Has anyone tried this?
  2. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

with my DB680, i can tweak the top end to my tonal delite. i've nailed the upper mids pretty good on some gigs where i'm doing battle with twin 50 watt half stacks and my B4, and i hear myself just fine. by that extreme level its more the feeling of the punch, especially with ear plugs, but on the audience side, no burying effect with my setup.
  3. That's cool.. I'm running a BBE BMax preamp, and I'm having to crank the gain on the para-mid EQ. I've got it centered at around 700hz for cut through, and while it does help, I still can get buried by distortion.

Have you run any effects through your Acme, like distortion, chorus, etc? I'm curious as to how these cabs take to effects.

edit: one last thing: how much power are you putting through yours? I'm putting 1800 bridged watts through mine, and the cab seems to take the amp for all that it's worth. It runs hot when I do this. Any slapping, popping, etc., equals both clips limiters lighting up. I almost worry about sending the speakers through the grille. Out of curiosity, I tried running it off of one side of my QSC RMX 1850HD instead of bridging, which puts out 600W @ 4ohms. The difference in volume between 1800 and 600 watts was actually negligible (in our small, confined practice space, at least), and the amp actually seemed to not be working as hard this way :confused: go figure.
  4. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    They don't. I wouldn't recommend using effects on any cab with a tweeter or midrange driver, especially not one with both and especially not with distortion. I could be wrong, but everyone I've ever spoken to has told me that tweeters + distortion = big no no. I can sort of imagine the scientific reasons behind it, but I've yet to actually figure it out so to say.
  5. Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Here's what I've discovered about Acmes:
    They put out so much low end up close that you think you're a lot louder than you really are. Thats where the easy to burry in the mix ledgend comes from.

Careful application of high pass filters will end that issue.

Not nuthin', not nobody burries me in the mix.

As far as the attenuators go, it is my understanding that the light bulb is ahead of the attenuators making them almost indestructable.

I said ALMOST indestructable.
  6. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

i was told NOT to ever use a sub harmonizer or auto wah set for a low low resonant frequency with any of the Acme line.

also, depending on your band make up, sounds like you may need a pair of B-4's. while that one group was loud, and i did have PA support, i was still wishing i had a pair of B-4's, rather than just one.
  7. Yep, 2 B-4's is the ticket. I run a 3-band parametric with mine, which allows me to dial in pretty much anything. However, I've noticed that what you hear up close isn't anything like what you hear in the house. I've tried to realized that I need to trust these speakers to do their job without much tweaking from me...but that just goes against anything I've ever done before. A decent 3-5 band para or perhaps a programmable graphic EQ is always a good addition to any rig, but especially for Acme's.

I've also learned that almost all of my effects sound bad through these. They're so accurate that the poor curcuitry of most pedals (which gets covered up by other cabinets) is plain as day. The effects are just 'thrown out there' with no character added by the cab, so they sound thin. It takes a while getting used to it.

The final realization I came to is that I was using effects as a crutch sometimes. My tone was unsatisfactory with previous rigs/cabs, that I'd add chorus or overdrive to make it sound better. I've found I can use less effects and let the bass be the bass with these speakers. Just food for thought.
  8. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    not to plug myself but i thought you might find some useful info in an older post of mine re eq

eq bassics
  9. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Contrary to popular opinion but I'll let some pictures say a thousand words!

My rig:

My effects:

10. chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    Alex, my rig looks a lot like that - Grand Prix and PLX 2402 driving a pair of Low B-2s - but you lost me with that pedal board!
  11. Thanx everyone for the replies, much appreciated... I'm gonna pick up a decent parametric EQ at some point. I think that last pic answers the question about effects... :D