Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acme and slapping?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MacheteJames, Jan 17, 2005.

1. I love my Acme B4, but I've never been able to do much slap bass work with it. Since both slapping and popping involve large transients, I end up setting off the clip limiter on my power amp, leaving me with a squashed, distorted sounding slap tone. I'm using a BBE BMax into a QSC RMX 1850HD, in bridged mono, so I'm dumping 1800 watts into the Acme. I'm somewhat amazed that the Acme is able to suck so much out of the QSC in bridged mono that it's setting off the clip limiter. The Acme really does sound amazing for everything but slapping, is there any workaround for this? I'm afraid of damaging the speakers if I disengage the clip limiter, but is that what I need to do? :meh:

2. Waabs

Waabs Employee, Musical Instrument Retail

Aug 1, 2004
    Australia
    Are you sure you're not distorting the input of either the BBE or the QSC?

3. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    I've had problems with a QSC RMX 2450 clipping before, which surprised me as well. The only suggestions I can think of are (1) mess with the volume ratios (i.e., gains on the preamp, and level on the power amp) and see if it makes a difference...i found that keeping all volumes around halfway seemed to give me the cleanest signal, and least amount of clipping. (2) if you haven't already, try using the compressor/limiter on the BBE...that should smooth out the transients a bit.

If you've tried both already without any success I'm at a loss, except to say that you might need a new amp. Good luck!

-Aram

4. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    What I have noticed when it comes to speaker cabs speakers react slower on those cabs that go below 50hz. That might be good for the real low or buttery stuff but slaps and pops it's a no no. I think thats one of those trade offs when you think cabs. Some boutique cabs out there will give you both at a good price and above average weight. Some of these ultra light cabs may be light but lose reproduction on the lower hz side. Imho cabs that go below 50hz are not needed for the style of slap and pop. Jmho.

5. I keep the bass knob set flat on the BMax, with mids all the way up (on the BMax, mids are cut-only) and treble at about half-way. I've got the para-mids EQ set with the gain at about 3 o'oclock, set on 800hz. I also use the BMax's compressor, set at around 11 o'clock. What's amazing is even at pretty low volumes - volumes too quiet to be heard playing with a band - I can still set the clip limiter off with slapping and popping. Maybe it is an input gain issue after all, hmm. The bass that I am using, a G&L L2500, does have a very hot output.

6. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Hmmm, that is weird - I assumed you were just playing very loud!

How much harder do you attack the strings when you're slapping compared to when you're playing fingerstyle?

I use a PLX 3002 into two Acme Low-B2 cabs (900W into each) and although slapping causes clip limiting more easily than fingerstyle, I have to be in a seriously high volume situation for that to happen; and I don't use any compression.

Do you have any highpass filters you could engage? Is there a padded input on the BBE that suits the G&L better?

Alex

7. I'd say that on the pops, the strings are getting attacked a lot harder than they ever do when playing normal fingerstyle. I usually play with the QSC's 50hz HPF engaged, and run through the BMax's active input as well. Maybe I'm running the gain too high on the preamp.

8. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    is that the switch on the back that rolls off all freqs below 50hz? If it is, I wouldn't use that -- that might be your problem. If anything, use the 30hz rolloff (if i'm thinking of the right thing), or neither.

-Aram

9. Yeah, I could try that. The reason why I started using the 50hz switch is because those low fundamentals were shaking the hell out of the house where we practice, causing things to fall off tables, pictures to fall from the wall, etc... if anything, I'd imagine that having the 50hz filter on vs the 30hz one would make for a tighter slap tone and would free up headroom as well. I'll try it, though... thanx