Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ACME, AVATAR,DR BASS,EPIFANI,ACCUGROOVE

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dood, Dec 26, 2004.

1. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
    sitting down,facingforward..UK
    Endorsements: Shuker Guitars, Dingwall Designer Guitars, D'Addario, Planet Waves, Barefaced Bass
    Hi all! I have had a good nosey thorugh the forums and don't mind getting a textual slap if I have missed the info.. sorry if I am repeating another thread.. but (ok that got that bit out the way)

I have been to the websites for the above cabs, and..well man!! :hyper: they are all great!

but.. heh heh, yes there's always a but..

I live in the UK. (yeah, i know..sorry) and I want to see/hear cabs like these.. IN THE UK! I know where to find the more boutique Epifani & Accugroove stuff, no probs, but I'm lookin for companies over hear that are offering ACME/DR BASS/AVATAR prices for example. my buddies at bassworld have been talking about 'LOUD' cabs which on paper sound like a good investment.

I thought I'd give all *here* a chance to inundate me with as much as you can chuck in this direction.

I want:- 2, 2x10" cabs with a great HIFI tone with loadsa bottom end and top end sparkle. The cabs have got to be light (due to the usual back injuries) .. so NEO is good.
    FYI: I currently use Hartke 4.5xl's thro' a 'flat' amp & only a little eq from the bass. This is the kind of tone I am angling for, so you guys have some reference.
    I appreciate your time greatly.

2. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
    Endorsements: Shuker Guitars, Dingwall Designer Guitars, D'Addario, Planet Waves, Barefaced Bass
    Thank you Brian for your PM..

Anyone else with anything to offer? Maybe a link to a thread?

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Don't know about Dr. Bass but Avatar cabinets are sold direct from the manufacturer in the US and shipped to the US and Canada(?) only. www.avatarspeakers.com

Acme are manufactured and sold direct in the US and are shipped globally (if you have enough money). I believe they're also sold through dealers in Australia. www.acmebass.com

4. rpatter

rpatter Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2004
    Round Rock, TX
  5. The dealer I use will ship to EU- carries Eden, Ashdown and Ampeg. Eden is the only boutique line. But he will pick up the Euphonic Audio line if he gets 4 pieces on an opening order. Count me down for a 112 whizzie. Now we just need three more EA orders. I am in no hurry, but PM me if you need details.

6. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
    Thankyou all! I am looking into..
    keep the suggestions rolling in!
    I cant help looking at the accugroove stuff.. all the reviews *say* that they sound what I am looking for tone wise, but, I cant listen with my eyes! I need to hear these babies! :hyper:

7. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    The Acmes are great and work out pretty cheap even with shipping costs etc. A pair of Low-B2s shipped to the UK come in at under £750 all in IIRC. I've been using mine for the past 5 years and they rule. If you want to hear them you're welcome to come and check out mine - where do you live?

Alex

8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Two Accugroove Tri 210L would, indeed, be a killer rig. If you really like the two 2x10 option, then two EA NL-210's need to be on your short list as well. The Low Down Sound cabs are also really well made, and Don will custom build to your desires. And as stated in numerous other threads, the Dr. Bass cabs are very good for the money.

Good luck, Tom.

9. Tombolus, what's the scoop on the EA 410? Is it hi-fi flat or does it have any kind of signature?

10. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    If you're looking for light, nothing beats the light weight of a 112 cab - and you can go modular (take a 2nd or 3rd...or 4th if needed)

11. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    That is one cab that I have not tried, but the NL-210 is also fairly flat and accurate, but is thicker sounding than some of their older cabs. It's kind of like a cross between other EA cabs and ACME or Accugroove. My guess is that the NM-410 would be similar.

12. Dood, I can heartily recommend both the Acme and AccuGroove for meeting the requirements you've specified. Bear in mind that you will need considerably more amp horsepower to drive the Acmes to the same level as the AccuGroove cabinets which are more efficient. How loud do you need to be?

13. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
    @ oddio, How loud? well I guess headroom is always needed when you are battling against Mr 5150 opposite. I play in fairly loud bands and do need the grunt to keep up with 'em. I have a Yamaha CP2000 power amp, which can chuck out 600Watts into 4 ohms per channel. It is a really nice HIFI sounding amp that doesnt run out of energy when pushed. Another great thing, ok, its no Dclass QSC, but, its only 14kg! yippeee!

@alexclaber Ah thanks! thats very kind.. I'm in Norwich.. ok, its flippin' miles away, but I am certainly interested in hearing the ACME's I have heard good things about them!

So to recap, we have Accugroove and ACME, Schroeder as advised by Brian, um.. EA ..
    any reports on Epifani? where do they sit tonally?

One other thing I thought of doing, I currently have 2 Hartke 4.5xl cabs.. nice n' sparkly tone etc.. Do you think it'd be worth popping the cones out of one of them and have a couple of Hartke 'clone' cabs made and pop the cones in them... (so the 2x10s have the same dimensions etc as the Hartke 2.5xl cabs on the market) ?

14. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
  15. slinkp

slinkp

Aug 29, 2003
    brooklyn, NY, USA
    One rehearsal room I've used in NYC has not one but two Epifani 410 cabs as their standard bass rig (with an aggie preamp... how's that for a rehearsal rig!!).

I haven't tried the 210 cab, but my impression of the dual 410 rig is that it's first-rate. Smooth, warm, deep as you could possibly want, clear but not at all harsh on the top. It makes even my crappiest just-for-lugging-to-practice bass sound fantastic. In terms of voicing it doesn't emphasize the mids, it's more about the top and bottom, but as with most high-quality cabs, you can EQ it to just about anything you like.

16. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
    I know this sounds daft.. and i do try not to be heh heh, but, on the Epifani website, most if not all the cabs have got tweets.. but, visually I am getting no queues... for example http://www.epifani.com/cabinets/T210AP.htm nice clear pic.. where's the HI Freq unit?

17. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
    ah... hang on.. penny may well have just dropped.. that shadowy circle behind the grill... hmm i guess thats not a forward facing port...

is that the tweeter after all??

18. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
    No doubt it has been talked about before and I am searching the threads, but...

Question: - I am in no doubt falling deeply in GAS for a set of schroeders/Acme/Accugroove type 2x10s for my rig, for that clean fullrange tone, with sparkling HIs and rumbling Lows...

Why don't I just get a set of PA cabs. They are full range aren't they?

Discuss..

19. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
  20. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    I vote for the Accugroove. Better components+better design=better tone. Each speaker has it's own cab in there, and the cabinet is constructed from a very special European ply they import. I don't know of anyone else doing that. Then there is their crossover and the AccuSwitch, you can't go wrong. ;)