Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acme B-2 vs. Other 2x10s???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Aug 6, 2002.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Fight! :D hehe...

but seriously, i've been thinking of getting a punchie little 2x10 cab cause i'm starting to think i want "punchier" vs. "balanced". the 12" gives me all that, but i'm willing to sacrifice some lows for a little more grunt.

so, my first choice is Acme's B-2. ok, i know about the power sucking, but i've got a 1200 watt Stew, and my biggest opposition are acoustic guitars or keyboards, so i got no prob there. ;)

but i do have bad knees and want some light i can schlep around, and @ 50lbs, the B2 is 10lbs. lighter than the competition.

but how's its tone compare to other 2x10's? Aggie, Epi, Bergie, EA-y?? (ok, so it had to rhyme.. ;))

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    I just read a post by J. Basuki saying they're bad for slap??? ***? i'm a huge slap/funker. that'd really suck. anyone wanna clarify?

3. Pre EB

Pre EB

Mar 15, 2002
    Denton, Tx
    I think he means whacking all your strings at once as a percussive effect a la Richard Bona. A sealed cab is best for that. Regular thumb style will not hurt the cab unless you are totally unconrolled and I don't think that's you;) My B4 sounds fantastic slappin' with my Stingray!

4. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    i am curious about this also~ only thing that frightens me is i will be pushing it with 500 watts. i think i will be killed. not using this for my high power stuff just my softer stuff.

5. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    The SWR Goliath Jr. is punchy as heck and weighs in at 55lbs. It's anything but balanced with '2 scoops' out the middle.

The Acme is nice if you have a nuclear reactor to drive it and are playing in a club venue that seats 3. Nah, just kidding - the Acme does require lots of power and never produces the volume of most cabinets, though. It's balanced, but I wouldn't call is punchy.

Good luck!

6. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    mr. bergie switching over to avatar? somehow i dont see that coming anytime soon:D

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hehe... ;)

well, with the 2 week eval, i dont see how anything would hurt trying out a nice 4 ohm cab from Andy. should be getting it this week.

back to the discussion,

i've seen a few reviews on BGRA, talkin' about the first thing they notice is the massive low end. how can something be balanced and sterile, yet put out gobs of booty shaking low end?

where my Acme homies at?!?!

8. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    funkycarnivore used to use a stew 1.2 and an acme 210 a while back. i think he blew a speaker or something in it. you should shoot him a pm or something

9. I never had an Acme, but I had a QCS guy tell me more speakers are blown/damaged due to UNDER powering rather than over powering. Not to say you can't blow a rig up with to much head room....

10. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    The Acmes have a great slap sound!!! If you don't have to me THAT loud they are very nice cabs! Tonewise they are simular to the E/A's...because they have a mid driver......Andy Lewis is a pleasure to work with too.

11. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    *knock knock*

"Good afternoon, sir. Could I interest you in some Avatar literature?"

*slam*

:D

12. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Because "balanced" means that it also reproduces frequencies below 50Hz. :)

Seriously though, my Acme B-1 with a Clarus head won't get too loud, but: I was playing an outdoor (patio) gig, and while the guitarist was tuning I selected the piezos on my fretless, and lightly (surreptitiously) started pounding on the body and neck of my bass. The whole backyard was filled with a nice 30-40Hz presence that made people think a big truck had pulled up nearby! Sweet. I shudder to think what 1500w through a B-4 would be like.

13. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hehe... nice :cool:

now imagine that senario with me, my Stew and B-2... :D

14. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    i play with alot of "honk" ala jaco on some stuff. will this work for me? also any of you guys using b-2's can you give me an idea on the loudest situation you have used it in?

15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    well, from the research i've done, it could go either way.

if you've got a good EQ on your bass or preamp, i'm sure you could merely dial in a good "honk" cause the cabs are so balanced and flat.

but if you're used to the low mid honk of say an Eden or Aguilar cab, then you'll hate it.

but with the seemingly incredible low repro, who cares?! :D

if you're doing jazz, i dont see how this cab couldnt be cool for you? with a 2week trial, why not, eh?

16. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    true true

17. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    I had the a pair of 4 ohm B-2's that I returned at the end of the trial period. They were the best sounding cabs I ever played on overall BUT trying to keep up with my guitarist (2 100 watt Marshall 1/2 stacks) and hard hitting drummer in my metal band left me feeling a little weak (just barely). My 500 watts per channel (Ashly FET-2000M) was a tad short. I thought of picking up a 750 watt per channel amp and giving that a go but decided not to. The Mesa 2x10 and 1x15 that I have now do the trick........plenty of volume and good tone (not as good as the Acmes but close enough :p ). Andy was a pleasure to deal with.

18. I have 2 Low B-2s powered by a QSC 2402. Best sounding cabs I have owned. Very round sound and loud enough. I can fill a 1500 seat room - that's with 2-3 guitarists, keys, horn section, drums, percussion and vocalists. One cab was not enuf - two are wonderful!

Good luck!!
    Jeff

19. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Ahh... the power of two;)

I had one Low-B2 for a month and the lows were indeed very impressive. I did miss the honking mids of the Eden cabs so I replaced it with a pair of D210XLTs. Bear in mind that I prefer to keep my amp set flat and it may have been possible to tweak the Low-B2 to my liking. In my defense I've done enough tweaking to last a lifetime.

So anyway, I discovered the beauty of EAs and the Edens are history. To my ears the EA VL-110 has a more balanced sound. YMMV.