Acme B-2's for PA subs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jon Chewning, Apr 24, 2002.

1. I'm thinking of putting my Acme's to work as PA subs, since they've recently been unemployed due to the recent appearance of a Berg HT112 in my rig (immaculate conception? close..)

Since we play medium to small clubs and I've been wanting to get my drummers kick drum out of the mains, I think the Acme's could work fine as subs.

But there are issues, of course: I'm attempting to convince said drummer that we should at least *try* the Acme's for one gig to see how they'd hold up. He is arguing (validly) for the use of 18 inch drivers for use as subs, mainly being that they move more air. I can't disagree with, but I figger since we're only playing small rooms, the Acme's in that scenario, would work fine. He also is claiming that running his kick thru 10-inch drivers is 'compromising' his sound. My claim is that running the kick thru our mains is compromising the rest of the bands' sound. (our mains are two-ways w/ a 9-inch horn and a 15 inch woofer, driven by a 800 watt EV Dynacord amp. We have had problems with distortion when the kick is fairly present in the mix.)

He's been hitting me with specs of cone excursion, freq. response, et al. ad nauseum, which like I said I agree with, but given our current situation, I think our sound would improve with the additions of the Acmes as subs, mainly because we'll have a separate amp driving the B-2's and our EV amp will be working less.

Can anyone throw something in the ring that would help illucidate this mess?

Oh, and if this is the wrong forum, then I can glady move elsewhere.
  2. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Here's my contribution: your drummer is being a doofus. Screw all the mumbo jumbo, try it and see if it works. If it doesn't, he can gloat; if it does, he can shut up. It's silly to argue about compromising sound when he hasn't even heard it. I can tell you from experience that the Acmes go lower than some 18s I've heard.

Can I guarantee that what you propose will work? Of course not, but what's the problem with testing it out? Make sure you have plenty of power, though. Not enough to fry the Acmes, but enough. 600 to 700 RMS *each* seems to work nice for bass (though some use more); try that for starters, and go easy on the volume at first.
  3. Thanks, yeah that's pretty much my feelings too, but stickboy is being rather obstinate about it. One of his other arguments is: 'Well if it isn't good enough for you, why should it be good enough for me?' At this point I'm collapsing on the floor, weeping copiously in utter frustration. Ok, well not entirely. But you see can where in Obtuseville this is going.

BTW, I'm going to be using a QSC PLX 2402 to drive them, so I know I'll have plenty o' juice.

I just can't see why trying this would be a step backwards.

Anyone here do hits on drummers? (JOKING!)
  4. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I say try it!......if he doesen't like it, then he can buy the 18's:D I use one of my old Acmes for a moniter for some great!
  5. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Here's another option. I have played with several drummers that own their own powered subwoofer. They use a small preamp/eq pedal between the drum mic and the subwoofer. They keep the subwoofer on the stage, so everyone in the band hears it, and in small clubs, it covers everything. This keeps the bass drum out of the PA, and thus eliminates the need for extra cabinets and power amps.

6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    I'd second or third the motion to try it. Acme's are so inefficient I wonder if it would be loud enough.

I've stopped using my B2 live and have gone back to my Goliath II since I need more SPL than the B2 (4 ohm) can muster...even with a channel of my PLX 2402 all to itself.

I was using it with an 8 ohm EVM15B in a TL606 cabinet on the other channel and volume wise, it blew the B2 away. Now it's two G IIs and I don't have to push the QSC as hard.