Acme B-II problems...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gsxtasy99, Nov 19, 2003.

1. Gsxtasy99

Jul 10, 2003
    Boston, MA
    About 8 months ago i purchased an acme low b-II cab. It was wonderful, i was driving it with half of my stewart 1.2, and it was happy. I was using it for mostly quiet gigs, so it kept up well. Recently I got a second cab for doing louder stuff, b/c one was getting lost in the mix. Now the first cab has developed this horrible buzzing noise when i play, it comes and goes. I have no idea what it is, it seems like it's inside the box... which seems implausible. I'm also kinda disapointed with how they sound with a group. In my living room, they're the best i've ever heard, but a little itty bitty guitar amp buries the acme.

Any advice?
  2. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Regarding the buzzing, have you tried the cabinet with both channels of your amp, or with a different amp? Changed speaker cables? You could also call Andy Lewis at Acme if you're sure it's in the cabinet. But don't call him if you haven't eliminated all other potential problems.

Regarding getting buried by your guitarest, try adding some midrange. The Acmes have a very flat response, and can sound rather quiet as a result.
  3. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I had similar experiences with my Acme B2. I also had a B4. I found that any type of distortion in the signal chain comes through the midrange speaker and the result is a horrible buzzing. Even a little bit of sweet tube distortion from my SVT came through the midrange as an awful buzzing sound. Double check everything to make sure the culprit isnt distortion. Is your bass active? You may have a low battery. The preamp or the power amp may be clipping.
  4. Make sure you aren't clipping anywhere in the chain. I heard a similiar buzzing the other day and I was clipping my preamp.

To cut, I add a little bump at 600 (and maybe roll off a little lows), others like 800, etc. I find it varies depending on the bass I'm using. If you have a sweepable mid, boost it, then try different frequency points. Usually it will be quite obvious.

BTW, Are your cabs 4 or 8 ohm? How are you running the cabs, stereo or bridged? And how are you stacking them? Others have reported best results in a vertical stack.
  5. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I'd call Andy!......he's a great guy, & very helpful.
  6. Gsxtasy99

Jul 10, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I'm using an alembic f-1x preamp. It is a tube preamp, so it's possilble it's distorting, but i don't see how. I have an active bass, with a pretty new battery, but it's not very hot. I'm running it in stereo, one off each channel of the poweramp, they're 4 ohm cabs. When i run one of them in mono, the only difference is that i can't turn the pre up as high. I'll try messing with different pre/power levels, i've always run the power amp full out, and just a little pre.

I can try different cables, i have a bunch. I wish i had a different head or amp so that i could know for sure it's if it's in the cab.

As for cutting, i'll experiment with the mids tonight at rehersal.

7. To find out if your Alembic pre is distorting, turn down the gain on the power amp to its minimum audible setting. Then crank the Alembic pre volume until you run out of headroom and hear the distortion. On my Alembic, it happens around 2:00 (volume).
  8. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    as for the burying, you might wanna try investing in a parametric EQ like a Raven Labs True Blue. the Alembic's EQ is incredibly limited, but a nice parametric works wonders, especially when you sculpt a more cutting upper mids'y sound.
  9. I had a similar problem (years ago now) with my B4 cab. It turned out I had blown one of the speakers. Called up Andy, he hooked me up with a new replacement speaker. I performed the fix/install/soldering. Worked great again!